Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 1:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving from a krotty stance to a thai stance is just going to feel like goop until you get used to it.

this is not entirely correct but good enough for a start. Your. forward hip on your front leg chambers your back hand
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 4:24am

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to address the "ball of the foot" part of your post.

Its pretty important really,in fact i'd say very important for a number of reasons that you keep on the balls of your feet.

Firstly it will allow you to pivot on the non-kicking leg when throwing the round kick which will in turn allow you better movement through your hips which will in turn allow you to throw the kick faster and harder while maintaining control.

Secondly it helps to keep you light on your feet allowing you to move faster in whichever direction is required. Ever hear the phrase "caught flat footed"??, being on the balls of your feet will stop that happening (once you get the hang of it).

thirdly, being on the ball means that when you throw a kick you will pivot better and not get the lower portion of the leg stuck in place while the top part moves circularly with your knee joint in the middle. After a few thousand of these, without pivoting correctly and stayin on the ball,your knee is going to get fucked up.

So, ball of the foot= Yes, flat foot=NO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 7:45am

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    Firstly it will allow you to pivot on the non-kicking leg when throwing the round kick which will in turn allow you better movement through your hips which will in turn allow you to throw the kick faster and harder while maintaining control.

So, ball of the foot= Yes, flat foot=NO.
    Kiwi, I tend to throw flat-footed kicks. Especially because I'm out of shape and usually tired in class. This advice is very helpful, thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 6:55pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a couple tips for you friend, might make it easier.

1. When you land your kick, where are your toes pointing on the foot that is NOT kicking? A good pivot on the grounded foot is integral to the kick and getting your hips in on the action. Make sure your toes end up pointing away from your opponent, not just 90 degrees.

2.Another trick to open your hips up: If I'm kicking with my right leg, I will sometimes simultaneously touch my right hand to their right shoulder. This not only insures I turn my whole body sideways with the kick, but it guards the chin in a decent fashion.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/20/2012 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there's no umph in your kick, you're actually not setting yourself up for punches more effectively, even if it appears so on the bag. If you're not turning the hip into it, you're likely not disrupting the other guy enough and you may find yourself eating a strike when you step in to follow with punches, should your opponent choose to ignore your kick that doesn't hurt and isn't jarring.

Having said that, Marc Denny of the Dog Brothers is fond of a kick called a Machete Kick, where an upward-angle shin kick to the thigh is used en route to stepping to a better position. I think that's a good example of what someone said earlier: "you have to know the rules before you can break them".

Its tempting to go "ah, a roundhouse kick. I know that one from karate." because the kicks share a name, but the MT one is a good deal different than the karate one you probably learned, and there's a reason that they prefer to kick that way in a kickboxing art that is very, very competitive compared to most karate.

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 1:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF-TKD + Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO, MT roundhouse is not that different from any other style of roundhouse. Human biomechanics governs all MA styles. We can only do a finite number of kicks. The rest are 'chromatic' nuances brought about by different priorities.

Generally speaking, I think MT roundhouse is all about destructive power - with everything else (telegraphy, speed, next shot set up) becoming secondary in priority.

To generate this power, there's only one way for the human body to do it and that is to spin the body mass. The alternative way is to do a lateral linear body mass transfer (side step), a la Bas Rutten, but that's probably not a pure MT roundhouse.

So here's a drill that may help you acclimate to the feel of a MT kick (disclaimer: I did MT only for half a year yet, but did WTF TKD for 12 years (mainly competition), so take it with a grain of salt).

Instead of actually sticking your leg out for the kick, try spinning around on the ball of your foot and use the knee instead. You'll spin much faster, but you will get an enhanced feel of what your body should be doing when your throw the kick. Try varying the strength of the spin like this - Spin hard enough to do the complete 360; Spin 270; Spin 180. Then stick your leg out for the kick. Good luck.

I'm with the folks here in that you should empty your cup before your fill it. I also like the comment about it being another tool in your tool chest.

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogwink View Post
    IMHO, MT roundhouse is not that different from any other style of roundhouse.
    Well, a whole lot of styles do the kick like this:

Which is mechanically quite different than the MT roundhouse kick in several ways.

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF-TKD + Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Permalost. I admit the differences, but I still maintain that they are only nuances brought about by different priorities of each style.

If you ask an experienced karateka to do his most powerful roundhouse, it will gravitate towards looking more like MT (less knee snap and more hips). And if you ask an experienced MT boxer to do his quickest and least telegraphic roundhouse, it will start to resemble more of a mawashi geri (the kick will get more snap from the knee and there'll be less hip commitment and follow-through).

The striking area is irrelevant to delivery, and is one of priorities/preference. Mawashi geri compensates lack of power with smaller concentrated contact area. MT roundhouse's contact area is like a bludgeon (power over a larger surface). If you get kick in the ribs by even a moderate power mawashi geri solidly with the ball of foot, it's hard not to double over because of the power concentrated on the smaller area (believe me, it's very different from the massive impact from an MT roundhouse).

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 4:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogwink View Post
    The striking area is irrelevant to delivery, and is one of priorities/preference.
    I'd disagree. If you're using the knee extension to generate power, you can't really do so effectively if you hit with the shin, because of the dynamics of the movement. The power is used most effectively at the distal end of the leg, not the middle. Conversely, if you do a hip-driven MT style kick with the ball of the foot, there's problems there too.

Mawashi geri compensates lack of power with smaller concentrated contact area. MT roundhouse's contact area is like a bludgeon (power over a larger surface). If you get kick in the ribs by even a moderate power mawashi geri solidly with the ball of foot, it's hard not to double over because of the power concentrated on the smaller area (believe me, it's very different from the massive impact from an MT roundhouse).
    I'm not saying that a mawashi giri is no good, just that the 2 are different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 4:49pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was taught the MT kick while with my kickboxing gym we were taught as a gauge that if you can spin your self all the way around from the power you where doing it right. When striking with it not only impact but push off from the opponent as well that way you can regain your footing, I will say that the kick is found in karate just not trained enough as that you can't do it in competition. It called a mawashi geri keikomi.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast