Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Predicament

RogerRogerRoger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Predicament

Hi Everyone,

I need advice from the experienced community. I am practising, Shaolin Kung fu (sanshu), every week (sadly only once a week). As you probably know, the principle is to raise the body's natural limits, so I'm sweating lots, trying to become strong and flexible. And I'm going to carry on, as it is very good for general fitness (which I need), and for general fighting experience, in the ring. The teacher is great too.

The problem is that I'm not strong, I'm a bit fat, not flexible and without any coordination. So no matter how hard I try (and I work a lot so I can't even try that hard), I'm not getting any better at Kung Fu, or fighting in general (I can punch and kick reasonably well but am absolutely terrible at fighting), despite the 4 years I have been practising.

(On a side note, I started a bit of MMA before starting Kung Fu, but it didn't quite suit me: i learnt a bit of everything, without getting any depth anywhere and ended up knowing absolutely nothing (after a couple of years, 2 times a week, not much but...), and I had to restart from scratch with KF)

I know that there are no miracle solutions, and that I'm unlikely to become good at any other. However, I want to take up, in addition to to Kung fu, a "fighting system" or another martial art that would deal with the missing parts of Kung fu.

From my basic research on the internet, and I don't know much about the stuff, and it seems that everyone has a different opinion, it could be Krav Maga (seems efficient but I'm not sure how cool it looks, it's one of my criteria.. I know, it's sad... Not interested in showy stuff but more in "chilled" approach to fighting, which comes from complete mastery, I know), or the russian systema. I live in London so sadly, I don't think there is any Keysi fighting system (batman is cool!)

So it would be to tackle multiple opponents, or grappling/close quarters (not brazilian JJT as I don't like much the idea of rolling on the floor all the time).

Alternatively, I could also take up Aikido (looks really cool, being able to control a fight without having to move much or break someone's teeth), and it's grappling base could complement kung fu stricking base quite well. But it might be the same problem than with kung fu, it might take for me 30 years to be able to use it in case of need (which would be a bit too long)

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you need to reevaluate your expectations.

Realistically you will have either form or function in an art. Just forget the flashy bollocks and go with a solid, proven system like Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ or good old fashioned boxing

Welcome

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to parrot what a lot of people will say on this site.

Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai.

If you're in London, I'm sure you can find a solid Judo, and/or Boxing gym. Both of these styles will help you get in shape, and be directly applicable to fighting.

In terms of flashy, flashy doesn't usually work. Though, there's a beauty to a simple, effective system.

In terms of improvement, you need to train more than once a week to improve. That, more then anything, is your major hurdle right now.

Regardless, have fun. If you're not enjoying your training them don't worry about it.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Style
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing
    PDS Rifles
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are not getting good at fighting because you aren't really being taught how to fight properly. You will have a much better chance of finding a school that will teach you how to actually fight/defend if you pick a style thats been proven for.. well, fighting.

You guys have a lot of excellent boxing and kickboxing gyms out there. Go for it.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I think you need to reevaluate your expectations.

Realistically you will have either form or function in an art. Just forget the flashy bollocks and go with a solid, proven system like Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ or good old fashioned boxing

Welcome
    This^

And Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoger View Post
    So it would be to tackle multiple opponents, or grappling/close quarters (not brazilian JJT as I don't like much the idea of rolling on the floor all the time).
    I see this a lot and I'm curious as to why you feel the need to be able to take on multiple opponents. I'm genuinely curious, I'm not trying to be a dick.

Style
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing
    PDS Rifles
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    I see this a lot and I'm curious as to why you feel the need to be able to take on multiple opponents. I'm genuinely curious, I'm not trying to be a dick.
    Hypothetically, you're ignorant about how difficult that is or how hard it is for any amount of training in any style is going to help you get good at fighting multiple opponents, wouldn't you want to learn how to fight and win against multiple opponents? I'd so be down for that.

Oh, And to the OP, if you want to fight multiple opponents, getting very good with a firearm is gonna give you a better return for your effort. lol
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Hypothetically, you're ignorant about how difficult that is or how hard it is for any amount of training in any style is going to help you get good at fighting multiple opponents, wouldn't you want to learn how to fight and win against multiple opponents? I'd so be down for that.
    What do you think the differences are in training for one opponent vs. multiple opponents? Technique-wise, I suspect there's not much. I don't know that there's a MA that's considerably better suited for multiple opponents than any other. I was just in another thread where they showed a boxer taking on 4 people and winning using boxing techniques. I'm pretty limited in my boxing training, but I don't think they ever train specifically for multiple opponents.

I'm only curious as to why people often want something to deal with multiple opponents, as it's never come up for me. I haven't been in a street fight since Jr. High though. Maybe most people live a more dangerous world than I do.

EDIT: Even the street fights I've witnessed, only one involved multiple opponents.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, you seem to be pretty young, based on your OP. In particular, basing a fighting system on how it looks, and the fact that Batman does it (don't worry, Batman is cool no matter what age you might be). That is fine, but save yourself the time that many of us have probably wasted in our youth in BS martial arts based on what you have seen in TV, movies, or ridiculous instant-kill-too-deadly-for-the-ring-this-is-the-one-the-gracies-don't-want-you-to-see demo videos on YouTube.

There are a lot of experienced MA's on this forum that are giving you good advice. Feel free to use the search function for things like KM, Systema, or taking on multiple opponents and get your poncho ready for the shitstorm threads you will find therein. Point being, you will learn to fight much faster in a "boring" MA like Muay Thai, boxing, or Judo than you would in an esoteric style where you're going to be studying useless, albeit "cool-looking" forms.

Training once a week isn't going to do it, my friend. If financial/time restrictions are keeping you to that, at least start doing some cardio in your off-time.

Good luck

top knot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont write off bjj.. Rolling around in erotic positions with another dude is OK as long as you are trying really hard to choke each other:)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last