Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/15/2012 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    What is the job market like?
    That would be a better question for pat. I have gone there, but I live in Illinois. The travel agencies have some not to bad deals though on trips there. I want to visit again, but have to wait a while .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/15/2012 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How were the Gulf beaches during the BP oil leak, and how are they doing now?
    Because of the currents, none of the BP oil hit Texas.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w4cblv
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    6/15/2012 7:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    What is the job market like?
    It depends, but if you're seriously considering relocating here, this is a good read.
    http://www.amazon.com/So-You-Want-Li.../dp/0966625307

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/17/2012 9:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, back at my computer at home, so I can post some pics.

Me on wave by the Flagship pier (now Pleasure Pier) in Galveston two years ago (sorry, no pics of me surfing from this trip).

As to the OP, you can see, I wear board shorts.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/19/2012 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha'ole is racist when used as 'fucking ha'ole,' not racist when used like 'this ha'ole brought some fried chicken.' Some consider it racist, but they are wrong. A Hawaiian guy surfing was telling a story and tried to say caucasian, and stumbing over the word but knowing some ha'oles consider ha'ole to be racist, was giving it the effort, and a ha'ole guy said, hey no problem, I'm ha'ole, you're a kanaka, he's a portagee...' so the the guy went back to his story, then this ha'ole guy...

Ha ole actually means with out the breath of life. Aloha means with the breath of life.

Unemployment is a little higher here, but tourism is up so perhaps it will improve. It was easier though for my wife to get a job here as there are fewer people that are skilled compared to areas like Utah, with it's numerous colleges and universities, trade schools and such.

Hawaiian politicians often put forth bullshit about making Hawaii a high tech job center. Hawaii has shitty schools and will never catch up with California or 'little silicon valley' in Utah, areas with large educated populations and infrastructure. The shame here is that we import things like avacadoes, when they are easy to grow. The Big Island legislature just wiped out a help-local-agriculture bill that was designed to promote food self sufficiency (we import 90% and have a week's supply on hand, so if any disaster happens we'll starve - in addition to the idiocy of eating imported stale food) developers were against it. Shame. In O'ahu they just approved wiping out much of the best ag land, going to houses. Big controversy, but $$$$$ wins, as usual. Shame, and insane, but the invisible hand of the market (Adam Smith) is rather visible.

O'ahu is crowded, but has the best beaches. There are plenty of hostels, good camping parks, and cheap hotels and vacation rentals. When we had less money we'd often camp out or get a deal on the cheapest hotel - once we were in a cheap hotel during the winter on Kauai and most of the people there were Canadians and they BQ'd chicken that they'd brought over frozen in coolers!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345