You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    1/09/2013 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCompo View Post
    I've been training in Bujinkan Ninjutsu for the past few months and I do believe that some of the techniques are effective. A few problems I have is that your training parter lets you do them and all the techniques are mostly against one type of punch is a slow lunge punch.
    Real ninjas punch from behind anyway.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 6:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, BJJ.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yeah. I'm losing confidence in ninjutsu as a proper fighting method, it seems we're only training to do moves against one or two types of attacks against someone who's supposed to let us do them.

Is mma generally the best sort of "martial art"
    to train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 7:17am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is mma generally the best sort of "martial art"
    to train?
    I think it really depends on what you want. In my opinion, concerning weaponless fighting, it is very well rounded because it covers a lot of bases (striking, standing grappling, grappling on the ground, etc) and it is often trained in what can be called an alive manner (learning techniques with increasing resistance, resulting ultimately in sparring or fighting).

What it usually doesn't do is involve weapons or strategies against multiple opponents (although we actually do very little multiple opponent sparring, which usually means that if you don't get away fast enough or move around, you're fucked).

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 7:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I was thinking of doing it tbh, it also had physical training too whereas ninjutsu doesn't. I reckon a combination of the two would be really good. Take the pain points and strikes/locks of bujinkan with mma techniques and fighter physique to make a strong style

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 7:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I was thinking of doing it tbh, it also had physical training too whereas ninjutsu doesn't. I reckon a combination of the two would be really good. Take the pain points and strikes/locks of bujinkan with mma techniques and fighter physique to make a strong style
    Honestly? I think pretty much every lock or strike you can learn in ninjutsu that is effective you will find in mma, only better and not buried under a lot of uneffective crap.

EDIT: Make "mma" "a good mma gym, maybe with designated striking and grappling classes"

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I haven't actually been to any mma sessions so I was just assuming there. My bad. So you reckon mma is far better then? Ninjutsu forms and stuff seem quite unrealistic against a resisting opponent who doesn't stick to form attacks and will just throw haymaker after haymakers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I haven't actually been to any mma sessions so I was just assuming there. My bad. So you reckon mma is far better then? Ninjutsu forms and stuff seem quite unrealistic against a resisting opponent who doesn't stick to form attacks and will just throw haymaker after haymakers
    I'm not the one to make your decision. I think from what I wrote it's pretty clear what my take is, but: I have never actually trained ninjutsu, the opinion I formed is based on what I've read here about the topic, videos I've seen, articles I've read and sparring against guys who had trained nothing but ninjutsu before coming to a thaiboxing class. So yeah. Just so that that's out of the way.

That being said, I'd suggest finding some MMA gym in your area and do a few classes. Reading your posts here I'm actually very sure that you'll be pretty happy with what you find there.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks, I enjoy Thai boxing at the moment and would like to get into inter club and eventually competing.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 8:35am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do MMA. Read a bit more around this site to find out why bujinkan is roundly decried. You'll have more fun in MMA. Granted, that's entirely subjective. If you want to run around in weird shoes and flowing black pajamas pretending you are part of a fictional assassin clan from feudal Japan then stick with bujinkan.

Also, the thing about multiple attackers? How are you going to defeat two if you can't defeat the one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    1/10/2013 9:57am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I think I will try out mma. I will say ninjutsu does have some parts which are effective, especially the pain points and certain strikes to arteries. It seems that some people haven't felt the moves being done on them to know (just throwing that out there, I may be wrong in that people have but don't flame me too much).

Anyway ill be checking out the local mma club as soon as.
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 263233343536 37 LastLast