Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:23pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always wanted to take Yoshinkan, but that is just based on reading that "Angry White Pyjamas" book. Did you do the course in Japan, or is Yoshinkan big in your neck of the woods?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoCanuck View Post
    I wrongly assumed that people here would be open to discussion and debate. Everyone seems to be constantly fighting their own little war of words.

Let the verbal Randori commence.
    Well, you should fit right in because you don't seem to like open debate yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:45pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having practised Iaido almost as long as Aikido, I'm interested in the weapons training.

Is your interest in weapons practical or cultural/academic? If it's the latter, then Bujinkan might not be such a bad choice. If you understand that you're LARPing then the booj isn't necessarily a bad place to do so. With a 30-year background in aikido and iaido, though, I would guess that you want something more reputable. Is there any koryu in your area?

As Hatsumi is technically a Samurai as well as a "Ninja...

Wait, what? I hadn't heard that before. What are his samurai creds? Are they any better than his ninja lineage?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:48pm

Style: Yoshinkan & MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well, you should fit right in because you don't seem to like open debate yourself.
    I asked a direct question, which everyone ignored.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    I always wanted to take Yoshinkan, but that is just based on reading that "Angry White Pyjamas" book. Did you do the course in Japan, or is Yoshinkan big in your neck of the woods?
    Both, I'm from Vancouver originally.

It's an ok read, it's responsible for a lot of people taking classes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoCanuck View Post
    I asked a direct question, which everyone ignored.
    It was neither direct and it was answered. I also gave you a link that answered your question.
    I think most ppl here would say crosstrain in MT or BJJ.
    A direct question would be this:
    I'm very aware of the fact that all modern Ninjutsu is directly linked to Masaaki Hatsumi and therefore Bujinkan, but are there any other schools in the UK or Europe that any of you would recommend?
    A meandering question looks like this:
    I have so far, only physically trained in Ninjutsu in the Bujinkan Dojo environment, which I had some issues with.

The main instructor, a Sandan, became hostile towards myself and my friend when we asked or openly spoke about commonality and cross training. The Dojo space is part of a multi discipline martial arts school. There were several occasions where we trained with other practitioners before or after sessions and openly discussed technique and training methods.

I found that the club was bottom heavy and that the more experienced martial artists were marginalized rather than utilized by the Bujinkan instructors.

I want to make it clear that I'm not having a go at the Bujinkan school. I am merely sharing my experiences with this Dojo.

I'm very aware of the fact that all modern Ninjutsu is directly linked to Masaaki Hatsumi and therefore Bujinkan, but are there any other schools in the UK or Europe that any of you would recommend? I have extensively Googled and asked for suggestions of other schools, but most in this area are Kung Fu, Muay Thai or BJJ/MMA.

I am just an Aikidoka who has an interest in cross training. I train daily and partake in Randori 2-3 times a week. Finding a good environment in which to progress is a priority for me this summer.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    People are open to debate, but not concerning booj, _ing _un, krotty, and kung fu. Many of those posts are going to be skimmed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Having practised Iaido almost as long as Aikido, I'm interested in the weapons training.

Is your interest in weapons practical or cultural/academic? If it's the latter, then Bujinkan might not be such a bad choice. If you understand that you're LARPing then the booj isn't necessarily a bad place to do so. With a 30-year background in aikido and iaido, though, I would guess that you want something more reputable. Is there any koryu in your area?

Wait, what? I hadn't heard that before. What are his samurai creds? Are they any better than his ninja lineage?
    My interest in weapons covers all of your criteria, and I suppose LARPing is a good way of putting it.

I was told that he was also Samurai by one of the Shodan... I personally have no direct verifiable information regarding that. This is all that I can find online at the moment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan. I'm sorry, perhaps I should not have mentioned that?

I'm not making claims on his behalf or advocating him, his credentials or teachings. Just asking questions.

No, sadly no koryu, the Dojo closed due to the majority of students being military and posted abroad. I would already be participating, if there were still classes available locally.

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:09pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post

I think the OP is referring to the fact that some of the Ryu claimed by Hatsumi are more associated with Samurai. But that does not make Hatsumi any more of a samurai than he is a ninja. Samurai were a social class and officially abolished during the Meiji period. There are lots of people descended from samurai in Japan, but no one can legitimately claim to be a samurai anymore.

I'm really hoping the OP was speaking in a metaphorical sense.

BTW: Now might be a good time to ask where the hell is Rock Ape? I'm assuming he's downrange again. He would've sorted this guy out on page 1.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:14pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It was neither direct and it was answered. I also gave you a link that answered your question.

A direct question would be this:

A meandering question looks like this:

People are open to debate, but not concerning booj, _ing _un, krotty, and kung fu. Many of those posts are going to be skimmed.
    Ok, I'm not prepared to argue with you.

And I was unaware of the depth of loathing for Bujinkan. I apologize for asking stupid rambling questions.

I've looked up your style, looks nice.

And once again sorry for coming across the wrong way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:19pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    I think the OP is referring to the fact that some of the Ryu claimed by Hatsumi are more associated with Samurai. But that does not make Hatsumi any more of a samurai than he is a ninja. Samurai were a social class and officially abolished during the Meiji period. There are lots of people descended from samurai in Japan, but no one can legitimately claim to be a samurai anymore.

I'm really hoping the OP was speaking in a metaphorical sense.

BTW: Now might be a good time to ask where the hell is Rock Ape? I'm assuming he's downrange again. He would've sorted this guy out on page 1.
    Yes I was speaking metaphorically. I take it that "this guy" is referring to me?

I get it, use the search function... Noob.
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast