Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 4:10pm

Style: Yoshinkan & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    Bujinkan has a bad rep for many reasons. This forumis oriented towards practical, "alive", martial arts. Bujinkan is not and will not be encouraged or respected.
    You can still have fun with it, but do not expect anything nice. Also, use the search function for the bazillion threads about this. For example the currently active http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116523
    Duly noted. Perhaps I should have searched more, but I thought that I'd just ask. I won't make the same mistake again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 4:17pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No harm in asking. Just don't expect a wealth of positivity for that particular art on this particular forum.

And you really should read through the thread ashkelon linked.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally, I'd be the first one to crack on a Ninja (if they really existed that is), but since everyone already beat me to it. Welcome to Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoCanuck View Post
    I am an Aikidoka, and I have no wish to be a "Ninja", I'm merely interested in the form and function of the techniques.
    I didn't say you did wish to be a ninja. However, given that you joined a ninja dojo and acknowledged, I hope facetiously, an interest in the "'secrets' of Ninjutsu" that would be an entirely reasonable inference to make.

As far as your "longstanding interest in Japanese arts" and your desire to learn "the principles and 'secrets' of Ninjutsu", stick with aikido. The "form and function" of the taijutsu's similar and you can get your fill of Japanophile mysticism without your instructor trying to saddle you with the delusion that what you're training has any practical value.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoCanuck View Post
    I am an Aikidoka, and I have no wish to be a "Ninja", I'm merely interested in the form and function of the techniques.

I could list in full the martial arts I've looked at and participated in over the last 30 years, but it's a tad pointless.

I take on board that a lot of what is claimed by "Ninja's" is indeed BS, but I have asked a perfectly legitimate question, and stupidly, as it appears expected a sensible and erudite answer.

I could sit here slag off almost all other martial arts, but I won't, because I respect other peoples choices and opinions.
    See and this is why people say "SEARCH FUNKTION NOOB" on this board. He gave you a nice response, but you tried to put him in his place.

Here is a recent thread that will cover EVERYTHING he wanted you to understand:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116523

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    I didn't say you did wish to be a ninja. However, given that you joined a ninja dojo and acknowledged, I hope facetiously, an interest in the "'secrets' of Ninjutsu" that would be an entirely reasonable inference to make.

As far as your "longstanding interest in Japanese arts" and your desire to learn "the principles and 'secrets' of Ninjutsu", stick with aikido. The taijutsu's similar and you can get your fill of Japanophile mysticism without your instructor trying to saddle you with the delusion that what you're training has any practical value.
    Of course I was being facetious... hence the quotes. And I wasn't responding only to you, it was a general statement to clarify that I don't have any illusions about what is possible, I'm just interested to learn more about other Japanese styles and teachings.

Japanophile, yes, mystic... probably not. I do practice Shinto, speak passable conversational Japanese and have trained in Japan.

I have no intention of quitting Aikido after 30 years, I do however want to further diversify my combat skills. Having practised Iaido almost as long as Aikido, I'm interested in the weapons training. As Hatsumi is technically a Samurai as well as a "Ninja", I figured not all of it can be pseudo mystical BS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    See and this is why people say "SEARCH FUNKTION NOOB" on this board. He gave you a nice response, but you tried to put him in his place.

Here is a recent thread that will cover EVERYTHING he wanted you to understand:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116523
    Again, duly noted. Apologies, for my perceived tone, I was merely trying to make myself understood.

I wrongly assumed that people here would be open to discussion and debate. Everyone seems to be constantly fighting their own little war of words.

Let the verbal Randori commence!

I have read the recent thread and it answers some things, but not all. I'll go back to Google for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:04pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for coming across as an asshat, I'm an ex-Squaddie and can be a little too aggressive sometimes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:04pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BudoCanuck, after 30 years of Aikido training I think you're probably more knowledgable about Japanese martial arts than most people! We have a pretty awesome JMA forum here on Bullshido that is fun to scroll through. What sort of aikido do you practice? Did I glean correctly that you're also an instructor?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    BudoCanuck, after 30 years of Aikido training I think you're probably more knowledgable about Japanese martial arts than most people! We have a pretty awesome JMA forum here on Bullshido that is fun to scroll through. What sort of aikido do you practice? Did I glean correctly that you're also an instructor?
    You may be right, but I value other opinions. And, aye, it's a bloody good forum, that's why I joined.

I practice Yoshinkan, and I was a "hand to hand combat" instructor in the British Army (mostly basic Aikido, Systema and Krav Maga), but I have never officially taught Aikido in a club Dojo setting.

A personal choice for various reasons, but that may change if the opportunity arises.
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast