Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 3:20pm

Style: Yoshinkan & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Have you found yoshinkan aikido to be useful as a supplement to other military hand-to-hand training (e.g. useful when sparring etc.)
    In short yes. I have always trained with an emphasis on hard style Aikijutsu techniques, so I have found it very useful. I am painfully aware that many Aikidoka don't train for real situations correctly or at all though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 3:22pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An example of Goshinkwai

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha look at his terrible fashion sense, his not seeing any contradiction between relying on a strategy of hyperagression and having potbelly, and that bamma-ass back clinch.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoCanuck View Post
    1994 to 2006. Yes I was in Kosovo in 1999.
    I was deployed from April (officially June) through November 1999, supporting Operation Joint Forge. I was with the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion (AE) {Guardrail}. We were split-based operations between Naval Support Activity Naples and San Vito Air Base in Brindisi, Italy. I made several forages into Prishtina, but at any rate, while in Brindisi, I trained with members of U.K.(Scots mostly), Italian, Canadian, and German forces (and two badass Romanian officers).

I ran the PT program on our end, and every week we would rotate; sort of a Round-Robin of physical fitness. We all ended up getting together and doing some informal martial arts training. We worked MACP for the most part, but the Canadians and Scots were doing Systema and a bit of Krag Maga. We had friendly (and some not-so friendly) throw-downs, cooked out and had a ball. We pretty much left the egos in the barracks (except for the Romanians), and nobody had anything to prove. It was great training for me.

When you posted before, I was going into memory mode and tried to locate my photos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I was deployed from April (officially June) through November 1999, supporting Operation Joint Forge. I was with the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion (AE) {Guardrail}. We were split-based operations between Naval Support Activity Naples and San Vito Air Base in Brindisi, Italy. I made several forages into Prishtina, but at any rate, while in Brindisi, I trained with members of U.K.(Scots mostly), Italian, Canadian, and German forces (and two badass Romanian officers).

I ran the PT program on our end, and every week we would rotate; sort of a Round-Robin of physical fitness. We all ended up getting together and doing some informal martial arts training. We worked MACP for the most part, but the Canadians and Scots were doing Systema and a bit of Krag Maga. We had friendly (and some not-so friendly) throw-downs, cooked out and had a ball. We pretty much left the egos in the barracks (except for the Romanians), and nobody had anything to prove. It was great training for me.

When you posted before, I was going into memory mode and tried to locate my photos.
    There is a good chance that we have crossed paths at some point then. I have a Scottish accent thanks to my mainly Scottish family, despite being from Vancouver.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Haha look at his terrible fashion sense, his not seeing any contradiction between relying on a strategy of hyperagression and having potbelly, and that bamma-ass back clinch.
    Hahaha! I can't entirely disagree with that assertion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 4:58pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked those outfits. And who has a cool circular martial arts room like that? Its like a maskless 80s Zorro training room
    Last edited by lordbd; 7/01/2012 4:59pm at . Reason: autocorrect

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    I liked those outfits. And who has a cool circular martial arts room like that? Its like a maskless 80s Zorro training room
    Indeed ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 6:24am

Style: Ninjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoCanuck View Post
    I have so far, only physically trained in Ninjutsu in the Bujinkan Dojo environment, which I had some issues with.

The main instructor, a Sandan, became hostile towards myself and my friend when we asked or openly spoke about commonality and cross training. The Dojo space is part of a multi discipline martial arts school. There were several occasions where we trained with other practitioners before or after sessions and openly discussed technique and training methods.

I found that the club was bottom heavy and that the more experienced martial artists were marginalized rather than utilized by the Bujinkan instructors.

I want to make it clear that I'm not having a go at the Bujinkan school. I am merely sharing my experiences with this Dojo.

I'm very aware of the fact that all modern Ninjutsu is directly linked to Masaaki Hatsumi and therefore Bujinkan, but are there any other schools in the UK or Europe that any of you would recommend? I have extensively Googled and asked for suggestions of other schools, but most in this area are Kung Fu, Muay Thai or BJJ/MMA.

I am just an Aikidoka who has an interest in cross training. I train daily and partake in Randori 2-3 times a week. Finding a good environment in which to progress is a priority for me this summer.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    The typical Bujinkan Shidoshi is out of shape and terribly scared when you mention Randori or any type of free style sparring. That's why the lunge punching role players give the art a bad name because they just want to show up to class and play dress up.

If you can find a superior core group, the art is well worth dedicating your time to. It works despite what people may think. The negativity surrounding it is mainly due to lazy imbeciles hiding behind the guise of being "2 D34DLY to SP4R W1TH U!"

You'll find with most martial arts, it all comes down to the person practicing them and how hard/intelligently they train.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/02/2012 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigatron View Post
    You'll find with most martial arts, it all comes down to the person practicing them and how hard/intelligently they train.
    This is only true to a certain degree. This theory has been argued on this board and it usually breaks down to a '**** In / **** Out' thing. Athleticism, dedication, and motivation can take an martial artist a long way, only if he is aimed in the right direction in the first place.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast