Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 1:27pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pro Debut!!!!!!!

War fucking me!

Assuming my opponent Alex Huddleston signs on the dotted line, I'll be making my pro debut against him on July 21st, Colorado Springs.

The facts:

Ultimate Top Team will be promoting, it's a great organization being run by Bobby Lashley and a team of professionals. I'm excited to get a chance to fight for them, a partner of mine fought for them last year and liked it a lot.

The fight will be at heavyweight, but it doesn't look like either of us are going to get above 240#, so it should be a pretty quick-style fight, no tiring out.

My Musings:

Dude is pretty tall at 6'7, so I'm not sure I'm kicking anybody in the face this time around. Which is a bummer, because finishing combos with a high kick is kind of my thing.

My opponent was a pretty big deal on the KC amateur scene it would appear. Former Golden Glover, and a pretty good clinch fighter (but maybe that's just cuz he's a lot taller than most of his opponents) but based upon his own youtube videos his overall grappling game is still in development.

Mr.Huddleston has made a whole amateur career out of beating up fat guys, so most of my strategy at this point involves not being a fat guy. Also lots of movement and never potshotting. He's a good counter fighter, but a little slow, and lacks headmovement.

So...I dunno, thoughts? Comments?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking server error told me this didn't work, my bad for the double post! Please delete/merge/call me a dumbass as approppriate.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 1:48pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The K2L guys tend to be real solid strikers, and generally come in good condition.

His reach will be a huge factor.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 2:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're 265?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 2:12pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is good luck! Hope you have fun and kick butt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, not counting on him gassing, luckily I do all my training at altitude, so I shouldn't either.

No, I weigh 220 right now, so I'm eating like a mofo to even up the weight. I've never fought above 195 prior to this.

In all honesty, I know I'm being set up as a stepping stone here. But I need the money, and I'm not anybody's stepping stone. I'm just gonna go in with a ton of pressure, move a TON, and look for the finish.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 3:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say this with all the love in the world. That said, why in Kimura's name would you try to go for a striking finish with an opponent who outweighs you by 60 pounds and has a foot of reach on you? Practice your heel hooks man. Shooto is in your style field for pete's sake leg lock that lanky bastard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I say this with all the love in the world. That said, why in Kimura's name would you try to go for a striking finish with an opponent who outweighs you by 60 pounds and has a foot of reach on you? Practice your heel hooks man. Shooto is in your style field for pete's sake leg lock that lanky bastard.
    You know what's funny? Heel-hook is one hundred percent what I'm looking for. I can slide into it from back clinches, as well as hit it from most top and neuteral positions. I just have to strike long enough to do it, and make him respect my striking enough to catch him off guard.

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 9:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking as the shortest guy at my old gym, the really tall bastards only look slow from the outside, and it's all about the reach. They don't need to have superfast hands when they don't have to travel that far to reach your face. Don't let him get comfortable with his jab, for the sake of your dental bills, and keep a sharp eye out for teeps and leg kicks.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 2:33am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wondering.. if your natural competitive weight is at 195-205 is there any reason you're taking a heavyweight bout and not a light heavyweight bout instead?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast