Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 12:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Seriously bro? You used a Norman Bates-esque joke about my mother to determine I've got a mental health issue? Fail.
    Um....No. Not what I meant. I said mine tongue and cheek.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 12:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Um....No. Not what I meant. I said mine tongue and cheek.
    Very well. Carry on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:05pm

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    That is like a high-yield investment on what is either an inflated ego or a serious mental health issue.

I'm o.k. with the motivational thing: "What ever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." (Napoleon Hill)

But I cannot believe that by one's thinking he is great, that he becomes great. Do I have a double-standard, or am I missing the point all together?
    Part of it was a joke. I don't actually endorse Aristotle's view, I just found it funny that Devil's ego-masturbatory protestations happened to parallel one component of a tremendously-influential philosophy.

Serious answer: Aristotle's view is about accurate perception of reality. The person who thinks himself great but is not currently great will not make himself great through self-deception. If you want to be great, the best way to do it is to achieve greatness by actually doing something great. Then you can see yourself as great, not before. Aristotle goes further and argues that the megalopsychic man actively desires honor and glory, and this is what motivates him to become worthy of honor and glory. As I said, I don't actually agree with Aristotle on this. It's far too self-centered, and my studies in philosophical ethics and moral psychology lead me to believe that selfishness is the obstacle to maturity and moral excellence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:06pm

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have time to read that kind of ****. Way too much to do.
    Plenty of time to post on the internet, though. :^)

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Thunder View Post
    Part of it was a joke. I don't actually endorse Aristotle's view, I just found it funny that Devil's ego-masturbatory protestations happened to parallel one component of a tremendously-influential philosophy.

Serious answer: Aristotle's view is about accurate perception of reality. The person who thinks himself great but is not currently great will not make himself great through self-deception. If you want to be great, the best way to do it is to achieve greatness by actually doing something great. Then you can see yourself as great, not before. Aristotle goes further and argues that the megalopsychic man actively desires honor and glory, and this is what motivates him to become worthy of honor and glory. As I said, I don't actually agree with Aristotle on this. It's far too self-centered, and my studies in philosophical ethics and moral psychology lead me to believe that selfishness is the obstacle to maturity and moral excellence.
    Speaking of sex acts, only a weak minded man sucks the cocks of old-ass dead guys the way you do. **** Aristotle. **** Plato. **** Kant. **** Neitzche. **** the study of philosophy.

Can't you think for yourself? Why the hell would people sit around contemplating what some ancient Greek thought? I'll never understand that. They were just men. Their opinion is no more relevant than mine or yours. They weren't fucking scientists. They didn't prove ****. They just had some random thoughts like any pothead staring into a lava lamp but for some reason people decided to study their bullshit ideas for thousands of years. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    Last edited by Devil; 6/12/2012 2:36pm at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Thunder View Post
    Plenty of time to post on the internet, though. :^)
    Fuckin' A.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whose place is it to say when a healthy ego crosses the line and becomes inflated or when it becomes a "mental health issue?"
    I'm referring to extreme cases where the delusions are obvious. I know many ego maniacs and only a couple of people with serious Megalomania.
    It's just a matter of opinion. Being different or having more pride than the next man doesn't mean you're ill.
    Being different is good; when someone is different just to show others they are different, that is another story. I'd much rather my kid turn goth, pierce everything visible on his body, and treat people decent than have him clean-cut and be a shithead who is rude and hurts people.
    Having a healthy ego is good too; it is a necessity for a decent leader has to have an ego. When that ego overrides rational thought, how do you fix that?

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I'm referring to extreme cases where the delusions are obvious. I know many ego maniacs and only a couple of people with serious Megalomania.

Being different is good; when someone is different just to show others they are different, that is another story. I'd much rather my kid turn goth, pierce everything visible on his body, and treat people decent than have him clean-cut and be a shithead who is rude and hurts people.
    Having a healthy ego is good too; it is a necessity for a decent leader has to have an ego. When that ego overrides rational thought, how do you fix that?
    I don't necessarily disagree with your perception. But you do realize your statement is full of pure opinion and therefore meaningless and without substance, correct?

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 2:49pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We continue to hold the philosophical musings of the ancient Greeks in high regard because they wore togas.

It is easier to think deeply when your junk is cool and comfortable.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't necessarily disagree with your perception. But you do realize your statement is full of pure opinion and therefore meaningless and without substance, correct?
    Yes, that is merely my perception of the subject, and my personal opinion; I wasn't making reference to anyone in particular. (Disclaimer) I call it like I see it; my training and education are not in psychology, but I have a pretty good handle on dealing with people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    We continue to hold the philosophical musings of the ancient Greeks in high regard because they wore togas.

It is easier to think deeply when your junk is cool and comfortable.
    John Belushi wore a toga; who could argue with Blutarski Logic?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast