Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gonna try Kings & Things some time soon.

What does it say of me that I yelled of joy when I recently found a mint collection of the DC Time Masters comic for 10 bucks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:52pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brilliant, I can finally reach level 3! All posts are created equal here on Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Gonna try Kings & Things some time soon.

What does it say of me that I yelled of joy when I recently found a mint collection of the DC Time Masters comic for 10 bucks?
    Never heard of Kings and Things. I think what it says about you is that you're the greatest type of nerd. Good form, sir. Good form.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What betrayed me, the Final Fantasy profile picture, or the Game of Thrones avatar? :D

Kings & Things is a game by Rob Kuntz, one of the grandfathers of D&D.
    Basically, Settlers of Catan with armies. SAID to be an awesome boardgame.

...And while I am on it, check Eldritch Enterprises' Lich Dungeon Level 1. Super-ugly layout, but very, very good dungeon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of role-playing games (and bringing the thread gradually back to psychotherapy discussion) did you know that a psychiatrist back in the '80s I think developed a type of analysis where he would have a person involve themselves in a fantasy world and role-play, and he would analyze their role-playing? Sort of like a Jungian active imagination thing. Philip J. Farmer wrote a novel based on it.

The psychiatrist wrote an article about it in the psychiatric times about 10 years ago.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/disp...le/10168/50556

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushups, Sir!

PJF, one of my favorite authors! ...And this book, I didn't know yet!:fuckyea:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Pushups, Sir!

PJF, one of my favorite authors! ...And this book, I didn't know yet!:fuckyea:
    It's this kid doing therapy by role-playing/entering the World of Tiers universe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 8:51am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am only a third year student, but I really feel psychodynamic theory is a garbagio...
    Everything I've learned, pyschodynamic theory is basically a back thought, our books have hundreds of pages on behaviourism and then a little blurb on "and oh, Freud did this and Jung did this"
    every study I read, to be fair I've only read a couple dozen, almost all focus on beviourist and cognitive behavioural viewpoints.

The only class I've taken that gives psychoanalysis a fair shake (other than psyc 101 which has a big section on it) was emotion, and even that was only the first couple weeks, after that it was mostly culture and brain pathology studies.

It can be your opinion that it works, and it has been pretty much shown that regardless of the type of therapy used it is the therapists skill that is most important, but I would never be confident going through a session of psychoanalytic therapy.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'm a fan of psychoanalysis, because my favorite parts of The Sopranos were the scenes where Tony and his therapist go back and forth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    marwagz,

Far be it from me to argue with you. Now saying that you DIDNT get any extensive study of psychodynamic theory in your courses doesn't really add any evidence to whether or not it works, it just shows the orientation of your program in particular. However, the evidence I provided in my OP is about whether dynamic therapies are effective. I personally do not buy into any specific psychodynamic THEORY, theory is another thing entirely. The fact is that we don't know a hell of a lot about WHY or HOW therapies work, we just know IF they work. Even behavioral theory for the more complex anxiety disorders like PTSD seems to have more going on than just the basic exposure/extinction principles that strict behavioral theory would predict. It's a great time to be getting into psychotherapy!
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast