Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/14/2012 8:08am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should all be glad that there are incredibly gifted people out there like myself and Devil. It is only through recognizing my awesomeness will you find salvation, I do not ask for much, a nod, a deep reverential bow or curtsy and, depending on gender, a headjob.

Also, shrines, monuments and statues in my honour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 12:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Keysi, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, uh, on the less clinical side of things, any thoughts on Lacan vs Deleuze or even Zizek? I saw "psychoanalysis" in a thread title and now I just don't understand how you made it to page 13 without even bringing up Lacan. I get that continental philosophers aren't highly regarded by the western analytical/clinical tradition, but really no Lacan? I mean, he's what makes psychoanalysis more than "pfft, Freud and cigars and collective Jungconscious." I mean, not really, but kinda.

For the record, my money's on Deleuze. I imagine that in the halls of Valhalla his schizoanalytic technique will orbit his shining head like a glorious halo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 12:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Oedipus View Post
    So, uh, on the less clinical side of things, any thoughts on Lacan vs Deleuze or even Zizek? I saw "psychoanalysis" in a thread title and now I just don't understand how you made it to page 13 without even bringing up Lacan. I get that continental philosophers aren't highly regarded by the western analytical/clinical tradition, but really no Lacan? I mean, he's what makes psychoanalysis more than "pfft, Freud and cigars and collective Jungconscious." I mean, not really, but kinda.

For the record, my money's on Deleuze. I imagine that in the halls of Valhalla his schizoanalytic technique will orbit his shining head like a glorious halo.
    Who the hell is Lacan? (That's rhetorical don't answer). Seriously, I don't really know much about him and that would probably be because of where I was educated and the emphasis. Your education is probably different than mine, but I went to college from '89-94'. I just can't see why you would think he's so pivotal.

Also I find it ironic that you mention Valhalla in your little rhetorical proclamation.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 5:05pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Interesting. Do you have any thoughts you didn't learn from some philosophy professor who hasn't ever held a real job? Maybe some ideas you came up with all by yourself? Because that would be awesome.

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 11:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Keysi, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Who the hell is Lacan? (That's rhetorical don't answer). Seriously, I don't really know much about him and that would probably be because of where I was educated and the emphasis. Your education is probably different than mine, but I went to college from '89-94'. I just can't see why you would think he's so pivotal.

Also I find it ironic that you mention Valhalla in your little rhetorical proclamation.
    Ok, so I won't go into Lacanian ****. I got to college in '06, so no doubt my professors had a different idea of what constitutes the canon than yours. On the other hand, maybe I just studied with a different focus--my classes were oriented as much towards post-(modern, structuralist, etc) stuff as they were towards psychoanalysis, and I ended up with a mildly useless degree in Modern Culture and Media, for what that's worth. I will mention that I feel postmodern and in particular post-structuralist thinkers like Derrida (and, in a sense, Lacan) produce a certain sensation when read, there's a unique flow to the conceptualization of their writing--syntax, definition, deconstructions--that made me interested enough to major in that stuff, whereas basic Freud feels, if only because the language is more archaic, less relevant to my own thoughts. Also, what part of that's ironic? I guess it is in a few ways; for one thing, Deleuze killed himself, and you need to die in battle to go to Valhalla, as I recall. Or is it mentioning gods? From a Deleuzian standpoint gods are about as valid as anything else, depending on how you're talking about what.

Devil: Well, technically, this is considered psychoanalytic or critical theory (often abbreviated as cultural studies or just "theory"). I know a lot of my professors held "real" jobs, often while teaching--some were engineers, some musicians, some writers, some practicing analysts. I was lucky enough to get into a pretty good school on a minority scholarship sort of deal. I don't know why you assume my ideas came from my professors, I spent most of my classes arguing with them, and they likely wouldn't sanction anything I'm saying here without going "hmmmm" and lifting an eyebrow professorially, at best, but that's the fun thing about studying this ****. Sure, you end up without a job, but you're really good at certain kinds of bullshitting.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 12:00am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so I won't go into Lacanian ****. I got to college in '06, so no doubt my professors had a different idea of what constitutes the canon than yours. On the other hand, maybe I just studied with a different focus--my classes were oriented as much towards post-(modern, structuralist, etc) stuff as they were towards psychoanalysis, and I ended up with a mildly useless degree in Modern Culture and Media, for what that's worth. I will mention that I feel postmodern and in particular post-structuralist thinkers like Derrida (and, in a sense, Lacan) produce a certain sensation when read, there's a unique flow to the conceptualization of their writing--syntax, definition, deconstructions--that made me interested enough to major in that stuff, whereas basic Freud feels, if only because the language is more archaic, less relevant to my own thoughts. Also, what part of that's ironic? I guess it is in a few ways; for one thing, Deleuze killed himself, and you need to die in battle to go to Valhalla, as I recall. Or is it mentioning gods? From a Deleuzian standpoint gods are about as valid as anything else, depending on how you're talking about what.

Devil: Well, technically, this is considered psychoanalytic or critical theory (often abbreviated as cultural studies or just "theory"). I know a lot of my professors held "real" jobs, often while teaching--some were engineers, some musicians, some writers, some practicing analysts. I was lucky enough to get into a pretty good school on a minority scholarship sort of deal. I don't know why you assume my ideas came from my professors, I spent most of my classes arguing with them, and they likely wouldn't sanction anything I'm saying here without going "hmmmm" and lifting an eyebrow professorially, at best, but that's the fun thing about studying this ****. Sure, you end up without a job, but you're really good at certain kinds of bullshitting.
    This is one of those is it ironic or coincidental remarks. The facility I founded, run and teach at is named Valhalla.

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 12:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    17 surprised it wasn't a bit higher actually.

Authority: 6.00
    Self-Sufficiency: 2.00
    Superiority: 3.00
    Exhibitionism: 0.00
    Exploitativeness: 4.00
    Vanity: 0.00
    Entitlement: 2.00

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 12:07pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Damn. What a windbag. You'll make a great philosophy professor one day.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 1:24pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 View Post
    Cognitive Behavior Therapy seems limited, kind of a quick fix. It is really good for people that can't function in society but less helpful for white girl problems...
    *Facepalm

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/27/2012 2:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 View Post
    Did you miss on the high five you were trying to give me?
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1240934151
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast