Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbow pains for me have been from framing on my wrists and frame with closer toward the tip of your elbow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 11:16am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Regarding my elbows, never had an issue really until I started doing BJJ. I think it was a result of poor technique when I was doing weights earlier in life and came to the fore with BJJ. It's been an ongoing issue, 2 steps forward, one step back, I thought it was resolved before but now it really looks like it has gotten better.
    I had messed up elbows for a long time, it started when I took up Judo, I think it was a form of Golfers Elbow, caused gripping and pulling, was fucking painful at times as I could not even fully bend my arm without pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 1:12am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you doing road work jogging (keeping your heart rate below 70 % of max) or other exercise 45 - 60 min / 3 times a week?

lots of folks in martial arts are big in hiit, but neglect good old fashion road work. do both and more.

are you super tense while rolling? relax. focus on getting things done through good technique not brute strength.

keep at it! congratulations for competing. not a lot of people have the courage to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 8:35pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am still pretty new to the whole B|JJ/grappling thing myself, but I wonder somethings.

In your training in class, did you perform "tourney training" or was it just like every other training session, prior to competition? For our school, we switch up how we are training when competitions are coming up. The intensity gets turned up, we drill like crazy people, less rest periods, and so on.... We also condition extra during class and outside of regular classes. I don't think we would do nearly as well in competition if it weren't for a change in how we train.

Regarding the elbows, have you had them worked on? I was having problems with mine for about 9 months from getting over extended by an arm bar. My BJJ coach's wife is a massage therapist and she worked on my elbows. It helped out tremendously. I have no more pain and I can fully extend my arms again. It may be something to look into.

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 9:18pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some interesting reports coming out about genetic non-responsiveness to cardio training at all. Some of us may not ever improve our cardio ability at all due to a genetic inability, as such extra roadwork/cardio by itself could be completely useless.

As for the training, I'd suggest, like searcher66071 has said, to practice in a manner closer in line with how you perform under pressure in a competition. Start standing, working on higher intensity, work with less rest, work on rounds like this to get used to it.

A lot of the response can always be your reaction to a new and different form of intensity, the adrenaline dump is what can really mess you up if you don't handle it well!

This is how I'll be preparing for competitions now that I've healed up after injury. Everything else, I feel, is really just an extra.

I know I have issues with higher intensity guys, they're not necessarily better with technique, they just charge you like a bull and ruin your rhthym, and it's things like this that you need to get used to as well.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 5:11am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously it has still been going over in my head but I came to the conclusion that a lot of it has to do with the cold I had. Examining my performance over the last few months I was definitely building stamina but since the cold, I have been having a lot of trouble, it clicked for me that it still might be a problem when I got puffed lifting a 5kg box a few metres a few days ago.

So I have given BJJ a miss this last week and will ease back into it and see how we go.

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 9:17pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Obviously it has still been going over in my head but I came to the conclusion that a lot of it has to do with the cold I had. Examining my performance over the last few months I was definitely building stamina but since the cold, I have been having a lot of trouble, it clicked for me that it still might be a problem when I got puffed lifting a 5kg box a few metres a few days ago.

So I have given BJJ a miss this last week and will ease back into it and see how we go.

That's most likely the best idea; rest up and get back into it!

Apologies, I had forgotten you had mentioned you had a cold at the time as well. That was most likely the largest contributing factor!
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 11:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Elbow pains for me have been from framing on my wrists and frame with closer toward the tip of your elbow.
    I imagine that's probably a pretty good tip anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2012 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    That's most likely the best idea; rest up and get back into it!

Apologies, I had forgotten you had mentioned you had a cold at the time as well. That was most likely the largest contributing factor!
    It really was shitty luck I get my first cold in about a year right before my first competition. Thought I was okay to compete, then to lose, psychologically it was a real hit, so that's why it has been going through my head. Then having still not recovered, I kept pushing and it just made it worse. So I will give my self some space and then get back into it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12