Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 4:00am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First BJJ comp today and I gassed like a mofo, any tips?

Had my first competition today (Gi), I was in the white belt novice division (Under 9 months) 82 - 88kg.I haven't been training Gi or Stand-up in general, as I have had a lot of problems with my elbows but that aside I was fairly confident going in, over the last few weeks my game has been getting more and more solid. Feeling a lot freer in my movements. My strength is my half guard.

So my first match, I scored the takedown, the guy moved straight into my half guard (lockdown) which I thought was great but then it just felt like he was too strong for me, the moves were there but I just didn't have the energy, he eventually moved to my back and I didn't even have the desire to keep fighting.

I was bit bummed because after that I had one round break and then had to fight a new fresh guy, that match was even worse, exact same thing happened, I thought I was going to throw up. By the end of it I couldn't talk for 5 minutes.

**** thing was those guys were both from the same gym and they didn't go to submission on the next match, one just said the other could have it and ended the match but that doesn't take away from my shitty cardio.

I thought I was ok but obviously I am not, and this is more than just adrenaline dump. The last few weeks before the comp my cardio has just felt like its getting worse, I was sick this week but I think thats not the whole problem.

So I would like to get an idea how you can measure your readiness for a competition. There must be a rough way to gauge stamina levels, and have a minimum for a round at a BJJ comp.

The other thing is my diet, I didn't drink for the two weeks leading up to this and outside of that I don't drink much anyway. What diets are working for you guys out there. There are some many options these days Paleo etc, it would be good to hear whats working for you guys right now.

I train 3 days a week, I did initially train more but it aggravated my elbows, they feel like they are coming good, so I might be able to add another day.

I want to compete again but I don't want to feel like that again, at least not just after one round.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 4:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On second thought this shouldn't be here can I get it moved to the Physical Training section?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 4:39am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds to me like getting ill was your biggest problem. Personally I find that a bout of the flu will mess up my cardio for 2-3 weeks.

As for gauging stamina, I'd imagine you want to do practice matches in the gym with the same time limits and nearly the same intensity.

That said, I'm not much of a grappler and have only competed once in my life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 6:45am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of cardio or Strength&Conditioning work do you do outside of the BJJ classes Auszi?

Regarding your elbows, is this related to pain in your elbows after/caused by BJJ training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 9:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5 View Post
    What kind of cardio or Strength&Conditioning work do you do outside of the BJJ classes Auszi?

Regarding your elbows, is this related to pain in your elbows after/caused by BJJ training?
    None, I have been studying and looking for work, occasionally been doing hill sprints but I was trying to not to get too focused on exercise until my life became a bit more stable, which looks like it is happening.

Regarding my elbows, never had an issue really until I started doing BJJ. I think it was a result of poor technique when I was doing weights earlier in life and came to the fore with BJJ. It's been an ongoing issue, 2 steps forward, one step back, I thought it was resolved before but now it really looks like it has gotten better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 9:30am

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't have the same problem when grappling outside of a competion, it might be nerves. Being nervous and not breathing properly can take away all your cardio.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 10:08am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    If you don't have the same problem when grappling outside of a competion, it might be nerves. Being nervous and not breathing properly can take away all your cardio.
    This ^

And I know you said it wasn't an adrenaline dump but it sure sounds like it to me.
    I had it in my first competition and even though my second fight was 20 minutes after my first I could still hardly stand up. I know it wasn’t due to my lack of cardio as at that time I had cardio coming out of my ass

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Auszi,

first of all - good for you to compete!

You'll have comps where you'll feel a lot better, trust me.

Basic question is how do you fare cardio-wise when sparring at your gym? Do you get tired soon? As others said before, sickness and nervosity might have done the damage.

Also, remember to try and spar when you're tired, even when you feel like you can't anymore. Everytime you do, you add a block to your wall of stamina... :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 7:41pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest that if you want to fight condition like a fighter. Also try some wrestling which tends to be more explosive.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's definitely been a wake up call, as to what I want out of martial arts training. I wrote the original post the same day, just thinking I never want to feel like that again.

A big part that's held me back is fear of aggravating my elbows but even at the comp they didn't flare up so, that might be sorted and in answer to firstly Tonzuba's question lately i have been gassing more than expected, hence that might be the cold but I do need to push it more.

And Greg, I think what you said is pertinent, if I am serious about it and competing I have to train like I actually want to win. Hopefully my job situation is sorted soon. Over the last few days I have been thinking about having to incorporate some wrestling training and finally getting round to starting Judo.

Thanks for the replies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast