Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 8:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you read the alleged competition record?

I know, after a year in training, this guy might be really good. I know anyone has a punchers( kickers) chance, but you normally take your best or have trials to see who is the best.

Still:
    Cook has defeated 10 of the 15 fighters, who will be competing in his weight division at the London Games. Muhammad has beaten one.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I've seen the records. I was being sarcastic when I said that it was a tough choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 9:04am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I know you were being sarcastic.

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 9:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently its a little more complicated than is being made out.

Taekwondo is only allowed 4 fighters at the 2012 games and are allowed to nominate their weight categories they announced that they would be womens -57 and -67 and mens -68 and -80. At -80 the two rivals are obviously Cook and Muhammad. They have fought twice and are 1-1.

Both fighters entered the European Championships - Cook at -80 but Muhammad was force up to the -87 as GB can only enter one per division. BBC fail to mention that Muhammad then won Gold at the higher weight category. There is no under 87 weight category at the Olympics it is simply over 80. The world rankings are therefore also a bit confusing as there are two, one is for the WTF under their normal weights and then there are the Olympic rankings which are combined weight groups rankings - i.e. one is -80 and -74 some of the points go back to the events from 2010.

So the decision comes down to two fighters at -80 Cook or Muhammad - they are both European Champions and are 1-1 however obviously Cook is higher ranked in the World
    http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...ndo-selection/

So Muhammed is not just anyone. Still clear that Cook should have been chosen, but looks like GB TKD are laying the smackdown on him for having the temerity to go outside the official programme.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    The BJA does it this way as well. The bureaucracy picks the competitors based on whose style they like.
    Not sure 'style' has anything to do with it. Who your coaches are and how much brown nosing you've done definitely plays a part.

The selection of Fletcher is crazy though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12