Posted On:
    6/08/2012 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

World #1 not selected for British TKD team

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...ion/55447914/1

It seems that the world number one at 80kg wasn't selected for the British TKD team, being passed over for some guy who isn't even in the top 100.

I haven't seen it stated in any of of the news reports, but reading about in comment sections it seems that it's because the selection panel just don't like him - his stats are much better than the other guy no matter which way you look at it.

He had been training with the official team for a while, but wasn't doing great as their training methods weren't working for him. He decided to strike out on his own, got sponsorship and started training with his dad. Success soon flowed, making his former instructors look bad, and now they're getting back at him.

At least that's the story his supporters are telling in the comments sections. Does anyone know more about this?

Another thing that struck me as unacceptable is that apparently after he appealed the decision, the appeals panel were the same people that initially rejected him. How the hell can they get away with that? Would it happen in any of the other sports?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 7:44am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, if that's true its pretty bad.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I haven't seen it stated in any of of the news reports, but reading about in comment sections it seems that it's because the selection panel just don't like him - his stats are much better than the other guy no matter which way you look at it.
    Sounds like typical TKD politics to me.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 7:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The British Olympic Council, the Minister for Sport, and the World Taekwondo Federation (among others) are all asking questions, so I think he could get on yet.

I'm not sure if the time for his appeal is over yet, but he only had 24 hours notice for it.

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 7:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Sounds like typical TKD politics to me.
    Maybe, but in this case the guy they're fucking over seems to have very clear evidence that he is being fucked over. I'm not sure where they thing they can go with this once the dust settles.

On paper he looks like an extremely strong chance for a gold medal, bitches love gold medals, and they make a huge difference to their funding. They're all going to have to take a massive pay cut when the other guy wipes out.

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 8:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this article from the Beeb - it's hilarious.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18365361

Quote Originally Posted by GB performance director Gary Hall
    It's becoming a bit desperate. Everyone is becoming a loser now and that's not how we wanted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hall
    The way [Cook's] agency is pushing any story to discredit the sport and GB Taekwondo I don't feel is appropriate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Steve Peters, a non-executive director for GB Taekwondo
    There's been a picture painted of a collusion and of [being] anti-Aaron and I haven't seen this. [...]
    I've come out because I don't want to be spineless. If there'd been dishonesty then I'd be speaking out.
    So one of the guys from GB TKD says that if his group had been dishonest then he'd be speaking out against himself and he's not speaking out against himself, so everything must be above board.

We all agreed that if world ranking and success in tournaments were the only selection criteria, then Aaron would be selected as he's an outstanding athlete who could get gold at the Olympics.
    Hmmm, while I agree that ranks etc shouldn't be the only selection criteria, you'd better have a very good reason to not select the world number one. So far they haven't given a reason, beyond that "Lutalo is improving at a rate of knots and has potential which hasn't been tapped". It would have to be one hell of an improvement.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't compete your way onto the national team, then it's not a combat sport
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 8:48am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    British officials had argued Muhammad was a better choice because he's slightly taller than Cook and therefore more capable of landing head kicks, which score the most points in taekwondo. Remarck dismissed the argument. He said Cook consistently attacks with head kicks and has beaten the best fighters in the world with his strategy.
    Wow, if true this is very stupid. He is lower ranked, just started training, he is SLIGHTLY taller, can POTENTIALLY kick higher and is heavier?
    That's a damn stupid reason for a choice.
    He might land more higher point head kicks.

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 8:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    British officials had argued Muhammad was a better choice because he's slightly taller than Cook and therefore more capable of landing head kicks, which score the most points in taekwondo. Remarck dismissed the argument. He said Cook consistently attacks with head kicks and has beaten the best fighters in the world with his strategy.
    Wow, if true this is very stupid. He is lower ranked, just started training, he is SLIGHTLY taller, can POTENTIALLY kick higher and is heavier?
    That's a damn stupid reason for a choice.
    He might land more higher point head kicks.
    OMG that's priceless. I missed that quote, as I heard about this on the TV news, and just posted the first article that came up when I searched.

One guy has a slight physical advantage that could potentially be used to score more head-shots, another guy has a far superior track record of winning high level competitions. Such a tough choice.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 8:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    If you can't compete your way onto the national team, then it's not a combat sport
    The BJA does it this way as well. The bureaucracy picks the competitors based on whose style they like.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast