Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 7:01pm

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recommend the book "A Golden Dawn"

Okay, the book is called A SUDDEN DAWN and I need to start proofreading when I post.

Just started reading this book by an author named Goran Powell (who is apparently some kind of highly ranked karateka). For those in the CMA forum who like historical-ish fiction, "A Sudden Dawn" is a fictionalized account of Bodhidharma bringing Zen and the practice of martial arts to the Shaolin Temple.

I'm not a Buddhist scholar by any means, but there is some cool sounding (to me) philosophy in the book, and it is pretty fast paced so far. It briefly follows young Sardili (who becomes Bodhidharma) as he becomes a Buddhist monk seeking truth. He picks up a cast of characters and goes to China to spread The Way, encoutering interesting adventures along the way.

I'm approaching the 40% mark and it doesn't suck yet, so I think it's safe to recommend to the CMA bullies here.
    Last edited by lordbd; 6/06/2012 7:11pm at . Reason: i typoed in the title of the thread

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 9:19am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, not read it but I have read his "Awakening Dragons" book, which is his auto-bio journey in Karate. It's rather good so I'd recommend it. He's a 4th Dan under Gavin Mulholland and did a 30 Man Kumite.

Gavin Mulholland, 6th Dan, heads a Goju-Ryu group at the Uni building in Regent Street, London.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    "A Sudden Dawn" is a fictionalized account of Bodhidharma bringing Zen and the practice of martial arts to the Shaolin Temple.
    so it's about as accurate as most CMA "history", and by that i mean not accurate in any way shape or form. right?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 12:34pm

Style: Enshin karate and Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    personnaly i normally read medieval, roman or nepolionic era books i think a nice change would be worth it if it proves to be a good book!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    so it's about as accurate as most CMA "history", and by that i mean not accurate in any way shape or form. right?
    Yea, I definitely can't speak to the accuracy. Perhaps it's more proper to say it is a novel-ization of the Bodhidharma legend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A brief vignette does some philosophizing re: animal styles.

Ko walked on in silence considering his reply. “What you’re saying is I should try to be more like a pig?” he asked at last, with grin. “You can try,” Da Mo laughed. “It shouldn’t be too difficult. I noticed your potential when we first met.” They followed Tai Chu along the shoreline of the lake until the ground rose again, back in the direction of the cabin. “It’s the same in combat,” Da Mo said as they walked. “You can learn a lot by observing how animals fight, their strategies, tactics, and how they think.” “But animals fight differently than humans,” Ko protested....

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 11:18am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I hate Wade-Giles.
    2) Being a Dharma Teacher...and a kung fu practitioner...I'm just...reallly....reallly...hesitant to read this. I mean....I need more elipseseseses to prove to you how hesitant I am.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    1) I hate Wade-Giles.
    2) Being a Dharma Teacher...and a kung fu practitioner...I'm just...reallly....reallly...hesitant to read this. I mean....I need more elipseseseses to prove to you how hesitant I am.......
    Wade-Giles? Did I miss something?

I think you'd probably be more qualified than me to discuss the merits of the book if you did decide to read it, or at least the chapter(s) that are free online. All I can say is whether it was entertaining or not.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 7:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wade Giles is the system of Romanizations he's using for Chinese names.

I hates it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, I've already learned something cool from you. I would be interested to hear your take on the story, and if it comes close at all to doing any kind of dumbed-down justice to Chuan(sp?) Buddhism. So far its been an entertaining read.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast