Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 3:40pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Super Unorthodox Single Leg Finish (Avellan Video)

I have a student of mine that has been with me for over a decade now that is somewhat of a legend at FFA. He is not your ordinary student - he is different. He moves awkwardly, he goes for weird submissions that no one else does, and reacts in completely unexpected ways.

He is called Mantequilla, which means butter in Spanish. He gave himself this nickname when he left a drunken voicemail to my academy.

I told you he was different :)

Now there are many hilarious stories I could tell you about Mantequilla that would make your head spin, but I'm not sure how comfortable he would be with that, LOL!

The reason I bring him up is because the funky stuff that he does on the mats works!

I have seen him do the Boston Crab, the Giant Swing and front flip guard passes in class on good fighters. I'm not saying he always gets these crazy moves, but he gets them enough.

You see, Mantequilla is big fan of the Japanese culture and Pro Wrestling. He will pick up moves from watching shows, movies, and even video games and try them out in class. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But one thing is for sure - no one ever sees him coming.

This technique I'm going to show here is a move he taught me that I have named after him, El Mantequilla.

It is a great way of finishing a Head Inside Single Leg when you are getting stuff down. I have finished this on all types, from black belt to all american college wrestlers - this is legit! Check it out:

http://davidavellan.com/mantequilla

Believe and Achieve,

David Avellan

http://DavidAvellan.com

P.S. > If you read this, leave a comment or drop a "TTT" for me. Thanks!

P.P.S. > If you haven't seen my two FREE webinars, "Avellan Guillotine Series" or the "DU Sweep System," you can watch the recorded versions by joining my email list. Just watch the above video and then subscribe and you will get the access code in your very first email!

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice one! Love how he got the nickname too. Sounds like it must have been an awesome voicemail.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 9:53pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    Nice one! Love how he got the nickname too. Sounds like it must have been an awesome voicemail.
    LOL it was epic! From introducing himself as Mantequilla, random ramblings, to his closing statement, "Bye Marcos, Bye David, Bye Dojo", we were bawling listening to it.

All jokes aside, he is a stand up guy who we can always count on.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/06/2012 10:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I have seen that take down in SAMBO. While I'm no Mantequilla, I have done this a few times during sparring myself. I have a habit of exploring reversing the rotation on a lot of moves to see where it leads. Sometimes it's a good path. More often than not, it isn't, but the good stuff I have found makes it worth it in my opinion.

I may be incorrect, but doesn't grabbing above the knee tightly with the first arm cause you to exert the pressure on the hip joint?

Excellent detail about gripping the leg by the way.
    Shut the hell up and train.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 3:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bwahahahahaha! My Coach teaches this finish as a "situational" alternative but I've seen him make it work. I think he does it because he is an amazing wrestler but is really short like 5'5" so not short to me. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 1:44pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks killer...but I'm a two stripe white I'm sure I'd wreck someone's knee doing that lol

Nothing against the technique at all I'm just hesitant to attempt it...cause i suck...

As you can imagine my single gets stuffed often...