Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 2:09pm

Style: bjj (blue) Judo (green)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No Gi Guard for Dummies

Hey Guys,

I just returned to training after a long layoff. Since school's out for summer, I've also been attending the no gi class that never fit into my school schedule. I'm here begging for advice on how to play guard without a gi.

First some background information. I'm a stocky bastard (5'10'', 205) with short, thick legs. I've always had challenges keeping my legs wrapped around my opponent, which lead me to develop a scissor guard. Using the gi, I could control posture using a cross collar and sleeve grip. From here, I could sweep and set up submissions. Although I was never a good guard player, my scissor guard was my go to. Without a gi, I do not have the grips to control my opponent from my scissor guard (especially when he's sweaty).

I know there are some excellent guard players on this site. I'm looking for any advice, philosophy, or videos that could improve my guard without a gi.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 4:01pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Butterfly guard is your friend. You should just take a trip up to SB and I'd be glad to give you a freebee like I've done for so many other bullies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2012 4:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Butterfly guard is your friend. You should just take a trip up to SB and I'd be glad to give you a freebee like I've done for so many other bullies.

I'm going to take you up on that. Let me check with the old lady and I'll see if I can make it down in the near future. Thanks!!!

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 3:20am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Omega, you are continually awesome.

Butterfly/hooks guard, lots of under and over hooks with wrist control replace gi grips.

I found working on triggers the types of grips I'd need in the basic positions in no gi really helped up my game when first switching over from gi.

Other bits and pieces, depending on your experience level before your break:
    Head/neck and wrist/bicep control are great replacements.

With head/neck control, sitting up into them first, then getting your grip and keeping your elbow to your chest creates a nice powerful frame to help break their posture down as you lower your weight back to the mat.

Pressure with your feet on their legs and come out to the sides if you are able to break posture and keep them down, this will end up separating an arm away from their body to launch a bunch of other stuff from.

You should get used to having your guard passed for a while, but pay attention to how they're doing it and where you are losing contact with them.

Offensive work from half-guard, staying very active and up on a side, never flat, is great to get some practice in to catch guys with lazy legs when they pass your hooks or open guard.

X-guard transitions from single leg hooks and posted sweep attempts are great to get a feel for, then moving to the back or sweeps from X-guard.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2012 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Omega, you are continually awesome.

Butterfly/hooks guard, lots of under and over hooks with wrist control replace gi grips.

I found working on triggers the types of grips I'd need in the basic positions in no gi really helped up my game when first switching over from gi.

Other bits and pieces, depending on your experience level before your break:
    Head/neck and wrist/bicep control are great replacements.

With head/neck control, sitting up into them first, then getting your grip and keeping your elbow to your chest creates a nice powerful frame to help break their posture down as you lower your weight back to the mat.

Pressure with your feet on their legs and come out to the sides if you are able to break posture and keep them down, this will end up separating an arm away from their body to launch a bunch of other stuff from.

You should get used to having your guard passed for a while, but pay attention to how they're doing it and where you are losing contact with them.

Offensive work from half-guard, staying very active and up on a side, never flat, is great to get some practice in to catch guys with lazy legs when they pass your hooks or open guard.

X-guard transitions from single leg hooks and posted sweep attempts are great to get a feel for, then moving to the back or sweeps from X-guard.
    This is very helpful. I've been screwing around with the butterfly guard since Omega suggested it. It's a very dynamic position and I've enjoyed playing around with it. It definitely gives me a more aggreesive feeling than I had playing 'classic guard'. Any more tips you guys can provide would be great.

Omega: Still working out the schedule, but I want to come down to train soon.