Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2012 10:28pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is There A Choke You do with your legs?

I'm just curious if there is a choke you do with your legs and no it's not a triangle.
    When I was in no-gi grappling there was one leg choke I'd use that I improvised completely for the purpose of tapping a guy who seemed like he could resist my arm bars on pure strength no matter how well I thought I applied them.

Basically what I'd do is I'd go for an armbar and when he started resisting I'd slip my foot behind his head so my knee would be at his neck basically creating a hinge around his neck, then I'd apply pressure by simply leaning more on that leg then the other and he'd have to tap.
    If he tried to roll out I'd just sit up and grab one of his ankles with my opposite arm so he couldn't wriggle away too much.

Now as far as I know this move (I don't know what it's called) isn't used in grappling comps so I'm wondering what higher belts do to make this move kind of useless

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2012 10:58pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    I'm just curious if there is a choke you do with your legs and no it's not a triangle.
    When I was in no-gi grappling there was one leg choke I'd use that I improvised completely for the purpose of tapping a guy who seemed like he could resist my arm bars on pure strength no matter how well I thought I applied them.

Basically what I'd do is I'd go for an armbar and when he started resisting I'd slip my foot behind his head so my knee would be at his neck basically creating a hinge around his neck, then I'd apply pressure by simply leaning more on that leg then the other and he'd have to tap.
    If he tried to roll out I'd just sit up and grab one of his ankles with my opposite arm so he couldn't wriggle away too much.

Now as far as I know this move (I don't know what it's called) isn't used in grappling comps so I'm wondering what higher belts do to make this move kind of useless
    I don't know if I'm picturing it right, but it sounds like an unsecured scissors choke.

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 1:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a crank, rather than a choke.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 5:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    If your knee is besides his head above his shoulder that is the furthest away from you, then you are crushing his trachea, what is illegal in competitions, can't be trained safe at all and can even kill your trainingpartner.

Now that you know what it is, just stop doing it.

PS: don't use Comic Sans as your lettertype posting here, we have banned users for doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 6:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    then you are crushing his trachea, what is illegal in competitions, can't be trained safe at all and can even kill your trainingpartner.
    In what competition is it illegal to crush the trachea? It's perfectly legal in, for example, Judo, BJJ, ADCC, MMA. The high-elbow guillotine is a trachea crush first and foremost.

Sounds a bit like you're doing a mounted gogoplata, maybe? Like so:

It's been used in MMA at the top level. It's a less common move, and a lot of people see it as gimmicky, but it certainly works.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 7:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    In what competition is it illegal to crush the trachea? It's perfectly legal in, for example, Judo, BJJ, ADCC, MMA. The high-elbow guillotine is a trachea crush first and foremost.

Sounds a bit like you're doing a mounted gogoplata, maybe? Like so:

It's been used in MMA at the top level. It's a less common move, and a lot of people see it as gimmicky, but it certainly works.
    Sport SAMBO ;-p

Just kidding, but what he describes doesn't sound like a mounted gogoplata to me.
    More like a scissor type of choke with the neck stuck between the calf and the backside of the upperleg.

That would be considered as an unsecured position (mantra: position before submission) and here in the BeNeLux at white belt division in BJJ, the ref would stop the fight, give you a warning and continue the fight from standing position again.

Remember that the OP is studying Goju-Ryu Karate for one year only, at a school where the instructor also according to the OP has a brown belt in BJJ and is experienced in MT, but is teaching Goju.
    Which makes the OP an absolute beginner in grappling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 9:31am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't started Jutsu from my dojo yet. I took 4-5 months of no gi grappling in University which is what I'm talking about. Also I wrestled for a year and we were a practice every day team for 1-3 hours a practice.

anyways the choke is like the one in the picture but instead of being infront of his neck the shin is behind his neck so there is leg both on the top and bottom of his neck.

I don't know if it could be done from mount i usually did it from arm bar attempt

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 5:37pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are choking him out with your heel or calf rather than your shin. As far as I am thinking. The leg that secures the head in an arm bar sorta kinda turns into a choke from there.

There was an RSBD club i went to that did that. Called it a dragon choke. We used to roll on top of a guy in the proccess though. stuffed if I know if it would work rolling.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 6:17pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a scissor choke guys. Jeez, you make things complicated.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 6:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something like this?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast