Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 9:27pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not going to log my iron palm. I like to keep my training a very zen thing, where I just let the movements go, and when Sifu compliments me on my progress, I know I've actually made progress. When I keep logs of things, I tend to get hasty and anxious to train more, which usually results in forgotten responsibilities lol. As far as how often I train the iron palm, starting this coming Saturday I'm going to officially begin training it on a regular basis.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay so is alcohol to be avoided just the first 3 months or whenever you're on a Iron Palm training regiment?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 9:43pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danharr View Post
    Okay so is alcohol to be avoided just the first 3 months or whenever you're on a Iron Palm training regiment?
    If you do the regimen that I am doing. Not sure about others.

Posted On:
    6/30/2012 7:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ngo Cho Kun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding alcohol - my sifu has mentioned that hard liquor should be out. He seemed to have not such a problem with wine, though, as it's mostly "for appetite". If I translate that, it seems like not-hard alcohol, and not a lot of it, seems ok.

Regarding sex - he has mentioned that if one is serious about training, just don't do it - ever. This is why, in his opinion, all the monks are very strong - no alcohol, no sex. Interesting tidbit: there are some branches of yoga also have this idea that you should channel that sexual energy into other parts of your practice/life (source: my wife who is a yoga instructor and we've chatted about this stuff).

Personally, I prefer to still have fun with my wife and enjoy a beer or two at night. I'm *obviously* not serious</sarcasm>.

The system I'm training (Ngo Cho Kun) has some limb conditioning exercises, mostly for forearm hardening so that you can throw a block and not get all wobbly when you actually hit another person. It is done with a partner and involves striking the forearms against one another in a set way over and over. If you have a bo staff, there's a way to strike it and get a similar effect, but the partner training is preferred because there's more "sticking" so you can start to read your opponent and better give-and-take to make sure no one gets hurt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2012 9:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we are going to use anecdotes and myths:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ching-Yuen
    200 descendants, outlived 23 wives, and drank rice wine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Dr. Oz also says that 90% of the benefit from red wine comes from the alcohol not antioxidants.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHPdwnN2z4

I think if nothing else I get the benefit of trying something that takes a little discipline by following some old kung fu advice. I do the meditation too, even though I'm not really a Chi believer. Right now I'm wondering how to chart my progress (e.g. how can I show my hands are getting tougher without expensive x-rays).

Hoping one day to be cool as this guy...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4qhWmDK9WM

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

VICTORY!

I have officially completed my first month of training, and capped out the number of strikes (50reps of each strike, 2-3 times per day, time permitting).

I am well on my way to this...

All kidding aside, thanks to all who gave me advice thus far. It feels good to be back into physical training again with Muay Thai and Palm Training. I'm losing weight, meditating, and feeling focused and light on my feet, and even learning a little about traditional chinese medicine, which fits nicely into my complementary medicine interest (and hopefully future career).

Hurray Bullshido!
    Last edited by lordbd; 7/01/2012 8:22pm at . Reason: I have not improved my proof-reading skills one iota, however

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 12:08am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strengthening of the striking limbs by developing the tendons and ligaments from the shoulders to the fingertips, then striking or slapping relatively hard objects enclosed in canvas/leather bags. Following a conditioning session, the striking area is usually treated with a medicinal aid created from plant derivatives, usually a traditional Chinese liniment called Dit Da Jow.[4] A common belief among practitioners is that failing to apply Dit Da Jow after Iron Palm training sessions can have negative effects on long-term health, such as movement limitation, arthritis, and other nerve damage to the hands.
    Has anyone done this over an extended period of time? Arthritis or scar tissue an issue?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 4:31am

Style: Shotokan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    And Dr. Oz also says that 90% of the benefit from red wine comes from the alcohol not antioxidants.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHPdwnN2z4

I think if nothing else I get the benefit of trying something that takes a little discipline by following some old kung fu advice. I do the meditation too, even though I'm not really a Chi believer. Right now I'm wondering how to chart my progress (e.g. how can I show my hands are getting tougher without expensive x-rays).

Hoping one day to be cool as this guy...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g4qhWmDK9WM
    Meditation is just good for your brain, lets it relax and just let your body calm down, it lowers your heart rate and can really help in the de-stress area. Ya know if your having a shitty day or trying to do something but having a real hard time, just relax and meditate. Ya know how they say to take a shower when your having a hard time finding an answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 5:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    Has anyone done this over an extended period of time? Arthritis or scar tissue an issue?
    Dale Dugas whose training regimen I follow has trained for years and has some cool breaks on youtube.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast