Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 5:28pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alcohol was a no-no. I would think that goes for any program, but I'm not an expert. My Sifu a few years back never had any issues with abstaining from sex, though. If anything he was a player on his own time, and he had some damn fine breaking skills.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 5:49pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll take a drink for you in mid-September when my 100 days of discipline are complete. Cheers!

How long have you been practicing Muay Thai by the way? Did you get into palm before or after?

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Muay Thai just over a year ago in April of 2011. From 2004 to 2008 I was practicing various styles of Kung Fu, primarily Long Fist but a little bit of Wing Chun at the end of it (unfortunately). I did some Iron Palm training for about 2 years, but it wasn't something I did very seriously. I did it maybe 2-3 times per week, but I did feel that it was useful even if it was an extra slow progression due to not doing it daily.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. I kicked around the idea of doing Moy Yat Kung Fu at a place near my University, but I went with Muay Thai because it was cheaper, and I sort of fell in love with it. Enough to fill my brain even without any complex forms etc.

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I could go back to Kung Fu from Muay Thai. Then again, there's no San Shou around here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    I did some Iron Palm training for about 2 years, but it wasn't something I did very seriously. I did it maybe 2-3 times per week, but I did feel that it was useful even if it was an extra slow progression due to not doing it daily.
    What sort of differences did you notice over time? Just increased toughness, or a lack of hand injuries?

I'm noticing that being meditative about it is transferring a little into my Muay Thai punching (e.g. I tend to hold my breath, now I'm building a stronger habit of exhaling forcefully when I strike).

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly a lack of injury. I was getting to the point that I could go all out on the heavy bag with no gloves and not worry about my wrists breaking or spraining, so I believe there were results seen from the training in my wrists and forearms as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What all did you practice to strengthen your wrists? Knuckle push-ups? Sorry to grill you but I'm wondering if there is anything more I can easily (and cheaply) add to my own practice.

Posted On:
    6/10/2012 10:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing, really. In Wing Chun training there was "Dynamic Tension Siu Lum Tao" which is the first Wing Chun form done with muscles tense, that seemed to strengthen the wrists a bit. As for the Iron Palm, your wrists and forearms will receive vibrations from hitting the bag throughout your training. That's why Dit Da Jow should be applied at least half way up the forearm as well as to the hands.

You could try doing wrist push ups. I do them during Muay Thai training. Tough at first, so start on your knees. Lay the backs of your hands on the ground instead of your palms or knuckles and put your weight on them, then try to do pushups. Finger pushups are good, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great kicking these ideas back and forth. Don't forget to post in one of the group threads or begin your own thread once you start back up again! I started a thread on the "varieties of iron palm training" that might be particularly cool if you remember the name/details of the system you were training in before.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast