Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11
    danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Shoalhaven, Australia
    Posts
    3,151
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No truly laissez-faire state with a completely free market exists.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,689
    Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    No truly laissez-faire state with a completely free market exists.
    Without citation, just lots of anecdotal observations, it can't work because lots of successful business people will not miss a beat in rigging the system once they got theirs.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    505
    Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    No truly laissez-faire state with a completely free market exists.
    They did once though and if you wish to see or get a feel for what living in a true free-market society would be like just pick up some Mark Twain or more preferably Charles Dickens.

    bit of a spoiler: wasn't all its cracked up to be now; remember that when talking to libertarians.

  4. #14
    danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Shoalhaven, Australia
    Posts
    3,151
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's silly to debate one vs the other. Every developed country has varying degrees of both. It's shouldn't be a debate about socialism vs capitalism in the first place.

    It's a false dichotomy between idealogical extremes. What people are doing right now is just labelling policies they don't like as socialist or capitalist, skipping the whole debate over whether the policy might actually be a good idea.

  5. #15
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,281
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    It's silly to debate one vs the other. Every developed country has varying degrees of both. It's shouldn't be a debate about socialism vs capitalism in the first place.

    It's a false dichotomy between idealogical extremes. What people are doing right now is just labelling policies they don't like as socialist or capitalist, skipping the whole debate over whether the policy might actually be a good idea.
    That's just what a communist would say.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

  6. #16
    danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Shoalhaven, Australia
    Posts
    3,151
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not the first time I've been called a communist on this site.

  7. #17
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    They did once though and if you wish to see or get a feel for what living in a true free-market society would be like just pick up some Mark Twain or more preferably Charles Dickens.
    Dude I was doing some research into the Napoleonic wars and found this great historical source called 'Sharpe'. You should check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    bit of a spoiler: wasn't all its cracked up to be now; remember that when talking to libertarians.
    Anyone who thinks the laissez faire of the 18th-19th centuries was perfect is being a bit silly. However, what critics of the laissez faire of the 18th-19th centuries never truly come to terms with is how much worse life was for ordinary people in previous centuries.

    Its all well and good to get on a high horse about child labour and crowded dirty cities, but compared to child labour in fields and living in tumble down mud huts. It starts to not look so terrible. Not perfect, but not as bad as life was before.

  8. #18
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,648
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, because before 18th -19th centuries laissez faire capitalism went rampant people was living under socialist regimes.

  9. #19
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Yeah, because before 18th -19th centuries laissez faire capitalism went rampant people was living under socialist regimes.
    Can't be bothered to kick down strawmen. Come up with a critique of an argument I actually made and we can have a debate.

  10. #20
    danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Shoalhaven, Australia
    Posts
    3,151
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Anyone who thinks the laissez faire of the 18th-19th centuries was perfect is being a bit silly. However, what critics of the laissez faire of the 18th-19th centuries never truly come to terms with is how much worse life was for ordinary people in previous centuries.

    Its all well and good to get on a high horse about child labour and crowded dirty cities, but compared to child labour in fields and living in tumble down mud huts. It starts to not look so terrible. Not perfect, but not as bad as life was before.
    Depends. I'd rather live in a mud hut with a little more spare time and food than the city dwellers. You might have some specific examples in mind though?

Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO