Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 4:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Groundfighting Strategies

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum in which to pose an inquiry or a discussion about groundfighting tactics but it seemed like the appropriate venue.

Frequently in MMA fights such as one might see in the UFC the fights quickly deteriorate from stand-up striking to ground-fighting and grappling. More often then not, once knocked to the ground (but not knocked out) the fighter will remain on the mat with his feet up to try and keep his opponent from approaching and attempting any mount or side control positions. I have always thought to myself, why doesn't he simply get back up?

Some fighters will continue to lie on their back kicking frantically at their enemy instead of just standing the **** back up. Why? Someone please explain why they do this. Some of these fighters will lie on the ground despite the fact that they have limited ground-fighting skills in comparison to their opponent.

Why would they lie there and allow a better equipped ground-fighter the opportunity for such a comfortable win?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:17pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you're going to get back up, you'll be in a compromised position for a second. While the downed fighter is standing up, the standing fighter is free the punch him in the face or even get a full takedown into a dominant position. If you watch carefully you'll see that the standing fighter either signals his opponent to get back up to shorten the standoff (usually in this case the standing fighter is a better striker) or the standing fighter will stay just in range to beat the living **** out of the guy on the ground if he tries to stand back up.

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes that makes sense. It certainly sounds like a better idea to stay on the ground in that case rather can get your head caved in. If they were the better ground fighter though, then I would have to risk trying to stand back up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:34pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, you do see people stand up occasionally if they can do it fast enough to avoid damage, but most of the time it's the safer bet to chill. Either the ref will get you up in a few seconds, or if he tries to come in on you you can do a heel kick to the knee, a pushing kick to the body or an upkick to the head if you're lucky.

Other than that I would say get better at groundfighting so you don't have to worry as much about getting submitted and you can escape submissions if the fight does go to the ground, which it will 99% of the time in an MMA fight.

Here's an example, watch the whole fight or skip to around 3:15 if you're lazy.

Here's another video that shows the "hit them in the face as they get up" strategy. It's not a KO, but it shows the idea. (6:15)
    Last edited by Moldy; 6/01/2012 5:49pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickThrower314 View Post
    Frequently in MMA fights such as one might see in the UFC the fights quickly deteriorate from stand-up striking to ground-fighting and grappling.
    I think "deteriorate" is the wrong word to use.

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right. Deteriorate is the wrong word. I can't think of a better word than that one right now...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think 4:30 in this video illustrates what can happen if you don't time a stand-up correctly (Although in this case he was somewhat pulled up):

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that was not the right time to try and get up. It did look like he was pulled a little bit but those knees had to be a hard lesson...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides the dangers of getting up, its also worth noting that upkicks can be deceptively powerful.

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 9:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Besides the dangers of getting up, its also worth noting that upkicks can be deceptively powerful.
    There is an artform in itself attacking a guy in guard it you are standing. Of course if standy up guy takes a step backward it gets stood up anyway generally

I am still getting the swing of it.

Transition to the ground would be the better word.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast