Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai at NY Combat Sambo

Hey Guys,

So I've been out of the game for almost 4 months with a back injury, and am doing a lot of thinking about cross-training. Seeing as NY Combat Sambo offers both MT and Sambo, I was wondering if anyone could provide some reviews on the MT instruction there. I know that the Sambo there is top-notch, but I want to see if anyone had a point of reference on their MT. I've been training in MT for over 4 years so I'm not shopping for a first-time gym.

Thanks for any help.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Face palm.

Style
    combat sambo
    NY Combat Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our striking program (boxing & MT) is top notch. Miguel Rivera, Evelyn Guzman & Vinny Guzman jr. & sr. have histories that speak for themselves. They are great and proven coaches. I would not have them in my gym were they not.

Having said that, if you want a pure MT gym we may not be for you as our schedule is not all MT/Boxing. We are a sambo/mma gym first (though we do have some folks who fight MT)so our striking classes are only part of what we offer. If you are only interested in MT, you would get better back for your buck at other places. It all depends on what your goals are.

You should also know our schedule is changing slightly starting June:
    http://ussambo.com/pdfs/class_schedule.pdf
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Our striking program (boxing & MT) is top notch. Miguel Rivera, Evelyn Guzman & Vinny Guzman jr. & sr. have histories that speak for themselves. They are great and proven coaches. I would not have them in my gym were they not.

Having said that, if you want a pure MT gym we may not be for you as our schedule is not all MT/Boxing. We are a sambo/mma gym first (though we do have some folks who fight MT)so our striking classes are only part of what we offer. If you are only interested in MT, you would get better back for your buck at other places. It all depends on what your goals are.

You should also know our schedule is changing slightly starting June:
    http://ussambo.com/pdfs/class_schedule.pdf
    Thanks for the non-face palming, Steve. I know both Vinnies and Evelyn from the Wat, and they are definitely great fighters. Not having a pure MT schedule is fine since I'm looking to cross-train anyway. Thanks for the updated schedule.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    *Face palm.
    Is that a bagua technique or did I ask a dumb question?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    Is that a bagua technique or did I ask a dumb question?
    No, you got the short answer. The long answer was:

*Face palm. Hold on. Let me get Steve in here. He's been a member here for a very long time. You probably didn't know that. You know, Steve. The guy who runs the SAMBO there. Hence SAMBOSteve. Never mind. I'll just send him a link.

Style
    Muay Thai, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    No, you got the short answer. The long answer was:

*Face palm. Hold on. Let me get Steve in here. He's been a member here for a very long time. You probably didn't know that. You know, Steve. The guy who runs the SAMBO there. Hence SAMBOSteve. Never mind. I'll just send him a link.
    Appreciated; I've definitely read about Steve, but I wanted to open it up to any students, also.

Thanks

Style
    combat sambo
    NY Combat Sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You won't find many of my students here. Maybe a few or people who know me. But, this place is kind of dead. You have better luck reaching my students on facebook on our school page. Or, you can come by & take a class and talk to some people.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao