Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 4:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Interview with MMA Fighter and Skeptic Brent Weedman

I'm sure that there is no shortage of James Randi fans here at Bullshido. This morning I saw that his blog had an interview with Brent Weedman, a fighter and advocate of scientific skepticism in martial arts.

I think that it's really great to see someone in the public eye openly advocating skepticism. It's also nice to see the wider skeptical community take note of skepticism in MA. (Of course, Randi famously debunked kung fu conman James Hydrick over thirty years ago.)

Here's the interview:
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...-the-jref.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 10:43am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personal friends with Brent, and his dad, Bill. Studied Byakuren with them for a couple years. He is a pretty solid guy and an excellent martial artist. Follow him in Bellator.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 12:55am

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was able to learn low leg kicks from Brent Weedman when he was training at Louisville MMA back in the hayday of MMA when it was getting popular. I sparred him and he kneed me in the liver and it sucked...I remember he was super cocky...but his dad was super nice and helped me practice the kick better. Does Brent even represent byakuren karate or does he just say muay thai now? I remember he was all about his karate style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although Brent will present himself as a MT fighter when he is entering the cage (because he trains under Eric Haycraft), he also admits that his dad got him started with Byakuren from about age 5. Eric is the one that really got Brent cooking. He may have calmed down quite a bit on the attitude scale even though he is a pretty confindent guy. Never went over to Louisville MMA myself, but have heard some of the guys talking about them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 2:11pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTedBear View Post
    Although Brent will present himself as a MT fighter when he is entering the cage (because he trains under Eric Haycraft), he also admits that his dad got him started with Byakuren from about age 5. Eric is the one that really got Brent cooking. He may have calmed down quite a bit on the attitude scale even though he is a pretty confindent guy. Never went over to Louisville MMA myself, but have heard some of the guys talking about them.
    Back int he early 00's I was able to roll with most of the first guys who trained there. Itw as when they met at a community center in a filthy mat room. They would set up a heavy bag. In my honest opinion Brent Weedman was a cocky SOB and really was full of himself. He was really good then and is really good now, but im glad he lost a few fights becuase ims ure it cooled off his arrogance. He was at least helpful with giving me advice on the leg kicks. Later I learned it more from Muay Thai and other MMA friends in college.
    Its funny to see a fighter on TV who sparred me and knocked me down with a CHEAP liver knee. HE DID NOT have to do that and he knew it...he just was sadistic I guess. but it was a great learning experience. Its just too bad he is an atheist now but I saw it coming. I know you guys are all atheists anyway mostly so whatever.

By the way do you know of a guy named Jason Bryant or something like that? I roled him him a lot, he had a lot of tatoos and crazy chin peircings. I since saw him get beat up on youtube by a crowd? What was that all about? and what is he doing now? That guy was one crazy kentuckian.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2012 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Andrew. Sorry you had a bad experience with Brent. I have sparred and trained with Brent and his dad, Bill. I have to clearly state that my experience is dramatically different than yours. Yes, Brent has lost a few fights and I feel those were close, no knockouts or outright dominance losses. The only time I have seen Brent punish anybody in training was after they did something to push his buttons. Bill is a deacon at the church and Brent was always close to whatever his dad did. Sooooooo, I don't know if I would stick the atheist label on him. Myself, I am not an atheist and i do not recall a Jason Bryant. but then I never went to Louisville MMA. I was at Toshi Dojo and at the Louisville Byakuren club.