225129 Bullies, 4080 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 61 to 70 of 73
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. BIG TIM is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 4:09am


     Style: bjj/thai boxing/mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think thinking you can block punches is your first mistake. you can cover up with a tight guard and do your best to absorb the shot. you can maybe redirect a punch a little with a parrie. i think your better off staying out side the pocket not getting hit and sticking and moving, but if you are really dedicated to spending the next 5 years learning karate blocks why not take it a step further and practice catching punches like you would a base ball. that way you can go straight into wrist locks :)
  2. Estarlio is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 7:00am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any half decent person is going to be punching bloody hard and either resetting afterwards or moving in. All catching it like a baseball is going to do is leave you with a sore hand.
  3. thrutch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    C*nt London
    Posts
    552

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 8:03am


     Style: Shorin Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position. You move your arms less to do a block than you do to do a parry.
    Christ this is fucking dumb. Karate "blocks" are done from a boxing guard, but boxing parries aren't? Can you explain to all the posters on here who've been boxing all these years where they've been going wrong then?

    And where exactly in karate is there a boxing guard? Which kata has you tucking your chin in with your hands up?
  4. BIG TIM is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    45

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 9:17am


     Style: bjj/thai boxing/mma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Estarlio View Post
    Any half decent person is going to be punching bloody hard and either resetting afterwards or moving in. All catching it like a baseball is going to do is leave you with a sore hand.
    im amazed you took me seriously but since you did ill continue with this line of thought.

    the good thing with catching punches is the harder they hit the more effectively you can enter the wrist lock. they load the power into the wrist themself.

    once you are good at catching fists with your hands you can progress on to catching them with your face. and using your face as the base for the end of the lever you can create good leverage through the fulcrim of there wrist.
  5. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,230

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 9:26am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    While I was sparring I landed one correctly and managed to do a straight to the body because of it. Was it an exaggerated "Hiya!" block, no, but as the punch came in I pushed it aside with my left arm in block fashion and got a body shot. So I know it's possible and I'm going to keep working it so I can do it better.

    I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position. You move your arms less to do a block than you do to do a parry.
    So how on earth can you say it isn't a possibly useful move?
    You are the one being ridiculous/stubborn.

    Anyways I'm done here, maybe I'll come back in a month when you bump the thread again for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    in terms of flexibility and certain aspects of strength training karate blocks has already helped me.
    In our training we are told we shouldn't use the uke in actual self defence situations for anything other than creating openings like a boxing parry or to use to hold the opponent while you sidestep (unless your reflexes are conditioned to a ridiculous point), which is why we are taught a modern guard as well.

    Anyways that is just how I am training, not saying anyone else should do it but it works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    a) bringing up stuff I said months ago shows you want to start an argument.
    b)I never told people 'how to spar' I simply said that i believed karate blocks can be used effectively, and I still believe it. That doesn't mean I'm telling you to go do karate blocks.
    c)I have no attitude, 95% of this forum is more experienced than me and I respect that which is why I don't argue with their technique suggestions unless they are rude and ridiculous. You are the fire starter pretty clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TIM View Post
    I think thinking you can block punches is your first mistake. you can cover up with a tight guard and do your best to absorb the shot. you can maybe redirect a punch a little with a parrie. i think your better off staying out side the pocket not getting hit and sticking and moving, but if you are really dedicated to spending the next 5 years learning karate blocks why not take it a step further and practice catching punches like you would a base ball. that way you can go straight into wrist locks :)
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TIM View Post
    im amazed you took me seriously but since you did ill continue with this line of thought.

    the good thing with catching punches is the harder they hit the more effectively you can enter the wrist lock. they load the power into the wrist themself.

    once you are good at catching fists with your hands you can progress on to catching them with your face. and using your face as the base for the end of the lever you can create good leverage through the fulcrim of there wrist.
    When will summer vacation be over?
    Shut the hell up and train.
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 10:10am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you got jnp to quoteblock, you really are a knucklehead.
  7. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 11:39am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Wow, you got jnp to quoteblock, you really are a knucklehead.
    Wow, I just skimmed that and assumed it was you. **** has really hit the fan.
  8. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 12:51pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well marc, let me show you ignorance:
    Quote Originally Posted by marcgwaz in a pm
    Ignorance an Karate Blocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iif
    Your blocks were so effective that you kept getting hit in the face. This thread is about you telling EVERYONE that karate blocks are effective while failing miserably in their use.
    I'm not going to post in that thread again so I figured I'd explain to you why your wrong.

    a) My karate blocks didn't fail, it was my boxing guard that failed me. I kept my arms up in guard position and would block a bunch of jabs but would always get caught by a hook because I would expect a cross then I'd try to protect from the hook and take a jab.

    b) Are you honestly going to try and tell me that the first time you sparred you didn't get hit at all? Bahahaha.

    c) My karate blocks were relatively effective especially considering I've been in karate only a short while. I tried to block a total of 3 punches and it worked twice. One time i just knocked the guys arm off target, one time I actually landed a counter strike to the body and one time I made him punch my chest.

    So if you weren't there you can't say "Hurr durr you got punched so that means you can't block anything!"
    FYI genius the people I was sparring with came from the same class as me and I (the untrained one) couldn't get any jabs or crosses through the middle at all because there defense was more than good enough to work on a less trained person like me.

    Using your logic I see boxers and muay thai fighters all the time getting punched, I guess they have no defense!

    Seriously you think your intelligent but you are clearly just a bored man trying to start arguments where your internet homeboys will support you, I don't even post much here any more, I can tell you want me too which is why your baiting and it is sad man, just sad.

    Oh btw I won't respond to this message I just couldn't let you think you were being smart with your ignorance...
    I let a ton of **** go. There are THOUSANDS of PMs that have never seen the light of day. Even from people like itwasntme (Jdweilie88), Cullion, Lebell, Rudy, JFSUSA, Matt Phillips, SamboSteve, and Omoplaytypus.
    You know, people I have had major arguments with on a thread or two.........hundred. That's because at the end of the day, I respect their position even if I don't like some of their posting styles.

    Nope, you do not fall into that camp at all.

    You are the first.

    Your boxing guard failed, after 4 months of training, because it was taught by fucking BJJ Goju Karate teachers. Oh and LOL@you trying to keep it going in private messages. The FACT you don't get the simple "dude stfu you have no training" means my logic is sound and your idiocy knows no bounds.

    I NEVER SAID KARATE BLOCKS FAIL in this thread, I said "herp derp you fail and stfu." I am INSULTING YOU,dumbass, not all of KARATE. Just you and your self proclaimed big talk advice with ZERO STRIKING TRAINING.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/30/2012 1:00pm at .
  9. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 1:28pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, so imma be a real asshole and try to describe how I've used Karate "blocks" at the clubs where I've worked. Note that my goal is to get combative idiots in a state where they're either headed out the door or are more amenable to being put out the door. I'll use common English translations, if that's acceptable.

    Inside-outside "block": from stonewall (fists at my jaw, elbows together in front of my body--which is how I often approach said idiots when time allows). Idiot may try to hit or pull me into a clinch. When I'm nose-to-nose with idiot, I drop left hand just enough to get his right, dip right fist under and to the side of his right elbow, and circle away hard to my right, armbarring his right arm and sending him face-first to the open door or to some table or other obstacle. Done at speed, has worked for me so far.

    Outside-inside bock: same beginning, but even more direct as I get his grabbing-jabbing-whatever right with my own right and apply my left fist or grip to his right elbow and then turn hard to my own right. Can introduce idiot to open door, floor or whatever obstacle presents itself.

    The "upper-block" I've only ever used as an armbar-uppercut, approaching in stonewall if posible and then grabbing one of his arms downward with my same-side arm and introducing my forearm to his chin (trachea is a target for those who like explaining things to judges). Crank one arm down (or take the belt-buckle in case he tries riding his legs up) crank the forearm up, wait till he calms down or turn the forearm-crank into enough of an "uppercut"-type strike to soften him up.

    Finally, the "downblock". Nose-to-nose with idiot, from stonewall or clinch, cross my left hand to grip his left collar while my right grip goes down and behind him to one if his right-side belt-loops. I do the "downblock" while stepping hard, dropping a half-level and quarter-turning to my left. Idiot gets upended to his right and spun to his right until he's face down on the floor and ready to be escorted out the door.

    Sorry for the tl:dr, gotta run to work. Flame away...
  10. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,601

    Posted On:
    6/30/2012 2:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well marc, let me show you ignorance:
    I let a ton of **** go. There are THOUSANDS of PMs that have never seen the light of day. Even from people like itwasntme (Jdweilie88), Cullion, Lebell, Rudy, JFSUSA, Matt Phillips, SamboSteve, and Omoplaytypus.
    You know, people I have had major arguments with on a thread or two.........hundred. That's because at the end of the day, I respect their position even if I don't like some of their posting styles.
    What do you mean by posting style? I'm reading that being synonymous with "stance." Either way, wtf is a posting style?
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.