224687 Bullies, 3747 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 73
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Hanniballistic is offline
    Hanniballistic's Avatar

    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,166

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:19am


     Style: JKD & Mok'bara

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    in terms of flexibility and certain aspects of strength training karate blocks has already helped me.
    Yet there are probably 100's of other methods that would help you more.

    It sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel - guess what? They found out years ago that square doesn't work very well. Stop trying to justify your adherence to an ineffective approach and you will find your abilities will improve

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    In our training we are told we shouldn't use the uke in actual self defence situations for anything other than creating openings like a boxing parry or to use to hold the opponent while you sidestep (unless your reflexes are conditioned to a ridiculous point), which is why we are taught a modern guard as well.
    The fact you are taught a "modern" guard as a "compliment" to them should be a clue.

    What I teach, I use; or to quote the Dog Brothers "If it's been taught then it's been fought".

    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    Anyways that is just how I am training, not saying anyone else should do it but it works for me.
    As you got punched in the face, clearly it isn't
  2. thrutch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    C*nt London
    Posts
    552

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:21am


     Style: Shorin Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Fixed.
    Yup, that works.

    Oh and I blame Westerners as well.
    I'd like to point the finger at the Japanese a bit too but hey, can't knock them for wanting to cream a few dollars out of those eager/bored 1950s GIs.
  3. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,551

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 1:13pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    a) bringing up stuff I said months ago shows you want to start an argument.
    Says the guy who necro'd a thread from 2009 to contribute "no you guys, karate blocks really DO work!".
  4. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 3:47pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    b)I never told people 'how to spar' I simply said that i believed karate blocks can be used effectively, and I still believe it. That doesn't mean I'm telling you to go do karate blocks.
    Please tell me what the Kanji for "block" is.
  5. jeffphansen77 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    260

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 4:22pm


     Style: Generic MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    I've done hours and hours of shadowboxing, taking hits, trying to hit a blocking opponent, etc but no I had never sparred before. I was a white belt, white belts don't spar and on top of that I usually go to the classes where we focus on kata instead of sparring because I knew that's what I would need to grade quicker.

    Training goju for a minute? what? I've trained for 4 months now almost.
    Never anywhere have I said I've sparred stand up. I have done much grappling and wrestling but this was my first stand up sparring.

    As for Muay Thai, what does that have to do with anything? Our footwork is entirely Goju as our a lot of our strikes but Muay Thai strikes work too so why on earth wouldn't we learn them? It seems like you are reaching sir. We are a self defense oriented school not purist.

    Anyways now that I'm yellow I should spar weekly or every other week depending on which classes I go to and how often I attend class.

    If you are laughing at me getting tagged in the face I don't understand. I was sparring black belts who have been training for 6+ years at the minimum. I had trouble blocking hooks because before this sparring we had only ever tried to block straight punches and uppercuts so I kept getting hit around my guard.

    Still my partners were impressed especially since I'd never sparred before.
    I was very happy that all the footwork drills, defensive drills and shadowboxing that I have been doing was so easily translatable into sparring.
    4 months? And you're ready to tell everyone how it is? I managed to earn a brown belt in GoJu. I also boxed amateur for a few years. The hard blocks done in GoJu do not work. No one even attempts them outside of kata & kumite. They seem to exist only in those settings, like antique museum pieces.
    Last edited by jeffphansen77; 6/29/2012 4:29pm at .
  6. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,974

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 4:44pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still like that I said it wasn't about his test and he STILL made it about his test.

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    you honestly want to say the blocks don't work and that a martial artist Needs to show MMA proof (cause MMA makes everything legit right?)


    where do you think Machida got his parries?

    also every person on the street who is going to punch you does not have boxer snap hand speed, a smart user can block with a modern shield defence then block the hand to get to the outside for a counter attack.

    the block is clearly a much better defence than shielding for countering, but not enough karateka adjust their striking for mma, machida did and look how it worked for him
    This is a 3 month beginner, with ZERO STRIKING TRAINING, and no sparring telling people how blocks work in the street. Like I SAID it has NOTHING to do with your test.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/29/2012 4:53pm at .
  7. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,551

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 6:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is a 3 month beginner, with ZERO STRIKING TRAINING, and no sparring telling people how blocks work in the street.
    Yeah, but maybe he's seen The Street Fighter starring Sonny Chiba, which clearly demonstrates the value of karate blocks in the street.
  8. marcwagz is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    207

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 9:23pm


     Style: Goju Ryu Karate

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffphansen77 View Post
    No one even attempts them outside of kata & kumite. They seem to exist only in those settings, like antique museum pieces.
    While I was sparring I landed one correctly and managed to do a straight to the body because of it. Was it an exaggerated "Hiya!" block, no, but as the punch came in I pushed it aside with my left arm in block fashion and got a body shot. So I know it's possible and I'm going to keep working it so I can do it better.

    I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position. You move your arms less to do a block than you do to do a parry.
    So how on earth can you say it isn't a possibly useful move?
    You are the one being ridiculous/stubborn.

    Anyways I'm done here, maybe I'll come back in a month when you bump the thread again for no reason.
    Last edited by marcwagz; 6/29/2012 9:26pm at .
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,974

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 9:27pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position.
    Hahahahahaha redundant and circular as usual. Yet, you have the nerve to say this:
    You are the one being ridiculous/stubborn.
    Hahahahahaha

    Anyways I'm done here, maybe I'll come back in a month when you bump the thread again for no reason.
    Your blocks were so effective that you kept getting hit in the face. This thread is about you telling EVERYONE that karate blocks are effective while failing miserably in their use.
  10. Hanniballistic is offline
    Hanniballistic's Avatar

    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,166

    Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:04pm


     Style: JKD & Mok'bara

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    While I was sparring I landed one correctly and managed to do a straight to the body because of it. Was it an exaggerated "Hiya!" block, no, but as the punch came in I pushed it aside with my left arm in block fashion and got a body shot. So I know it's possible and I'm going to keep working it so I can do it better.

    I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position. You move your arms less to do a block than you do to do a parry.
    So how on earth can you say it isn't a possibly useful move?
    You are the one being ridiculous/stubborn.

    Anyways I'm done here, maybe I'll come back in a month when you bump the thread again for no reason.
    Ok reasoned argument and logic are clearly not your forte, so let's try a different approach that gets to the nub of the issue

    You are a fucking idiot

    I think that sums it up quite pithily
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.