Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:19am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    in terms of flexibility and certain aspects of strength training karate blocks has already helped me.
    Yet there are probably 100's of other methods that would help you more.

It sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel - guess what? They found out years ago that square doesn't work very well. Stop trying to justify your adherence to an ineffective approach and you will find your abilities will improve

In our training we are told we shouldn't use the uke in actual self defence situations for anything other than creating openings like a boxing parry or to use to hold the opponent while you sidestep (unless your reflexes are conditioned to a ridiculous point), which is why we are taught a modern guard as well.
    The fact you are taught a "modern" guard as a "compliment" to them should be a clue.

What I teach, I use; or to quote the Dog Brothers "If it's been taught then it's been fought".

Anyways that is just how I am training, not saying anyone else should do it but it works for me.
    As you got punched in the face, clearly it isn't

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:21am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Fixed.
    Yup, that works.

Oh and I blame Westerners as well.
    I'd like to point the finger at the Japanese a bit too but hey, can't knock them for wanting to cream a few dollars out of those eager/bored 1950s GIs.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a) bringing up stuff I said months ago shows you want to start an argument.
    Says the guy who necro'd a thread from 2009 to contribute "no you guys, karate blocks really DO work!".

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 3:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    b)I never told people 'how to spar' I simply said that i believed karate blocks can be used effectively, and I still believe it. That doesn't mean I'm telling you to go do karate blocks.
    Please tell me what the Kanji for "block" is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 4:22pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done hours and hours of shadowboxing, taking hits, trying to hit a blocking opponent, etc but no I had never sparred before. I was a white belt, white belts don't spar and on top of that I usually go to the classes where we focus on kata instead of sparring because I knew that's what I would need to grade quicker.

Training goju for a minute? what? I've trained for 4 months now almost.
    Never anywhere have I said I've sparred stand up. I have done much grappling and wrestling but this was my first stand up sparring.

As for Muay Thai, what does that have to do with anything? Our footwork is entirely Goju as our a lot of our strikes but Muay Thai strikes work too so why on earth wouldn't we learn them? It seems like you are reaching sir. We are a self defense oriented school not purist.

Anyways now that I'm yellow I should spar weekly or every other week depending on which classes I go to and how often I attend class.

If you are laughing at me getting tagged in the face I don't understand. I was sparring black belts who have been training for 6+ years at the minimum. I had trouble blocking hooks because before this sparring we had only ever tried to block straight punches and uppercuts so I kept getting hit around my guard.

Still my partners were impressed especially since I'd never sparred before.
    I was very happy that all the footwork drills, defensive drills and shadowboxing that I have been doing was so easily translatable into sparring.
    4 months? And you're ready to tell everyone how it is? I managed to earn a brown belt in GoJu. I also boxed amateur for a few years. The hard blocks done in GoJu do not work. No one even attempts them outside of kata & kumite. They seem to exist only in those settings, like antique museum pieces.
    Last edited by jeffphansen77; 6/29/2012 4:29pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 4:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still like that I said it wasn't about his test and he STILL made it about his test.

[
    you honestly want to say the blocks don't work and that a martial artist Needs to show MMA proof (cause MMA makes everything legit right?)

where do you think Machida got his parries?

also every person on the street who is going to punch you does not have boxer snap hand speed, a smart user can block with a modern shield defence then block the hand to get to the outside for a counter attack.

the block is clearly a much better defence than shielding for countering, but not enough karateka adjust their striking for mma, machida did and look how it worked for him
    This is a 3 month beginner, with ZERO STRIKING TRAINING, and no sparring telling people how blocks work in the street. Like I SAID it has NOTHING to do with your test.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/29/2012 4:53pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This is a 3 month beginner, with ZERO STRIKING TRAINING, and no sparring telling people how blocks work in the street.
    Yeah, but maybe he's seen The Street Fighter starring Sonny Chiba, which clearly demonstrates the value of karate blocks in the street.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 9:23pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffphansen77 View Post
    No one even attempts them outside of kata & kumite. They seem to exist only in those settings, like antique museum pieces.
    While I was sparring I landed one correctly and managed to do a straight to the body because of it. Was it an exaggerated "Hiya!" block, no, but as the punch came in I pushed it aside with my left arm in block fashion and got a body shot. So I know it's possible and I'm going to keep working it so I can do it better.

I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position. You move your arms less to do a block than you do to do a parry.
    So how on earth can you say it isn't a possibly useful move?
    You are the one being ridiculous/stubborn.

Anyways I'm done here, maybe I'll come back in a month when you bump the thread again for no reason.
    Last edited by marcwagz; 6/29/2012 9:26pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 9:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe 100% that the blocks I've learned are just as useful as boxing parries and am sure they could be used as such.
    Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position.
    Hahahahahaha redundant and circular as usual. Yet, you have the nerve to say this:
    Hahahahahaha

Anyways I'm done here, maybe I'll come back in a month when you bump the thread again for no reason.
    Your blocks were so effective that you kept getting hit in the face. This thread is about you telling EVERYONE that karate blocks are effective while failing miserably in their use.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/29/2012 11:04pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I was sparring I landed one correctly and managed to do a straight to the body because of it. Was it an exaggerated "Hiya!" block, no, but as the punch came in I pushed it aside with my left arm in block fashion and got a body shot. So I know it's possible and I'm going to keep working it so I can do it better.

Reason? They are the exact same as boxing parries except they are performed from a boxing guard position. You move your arms less to do a block than you do to do a parry.
    So how on earth can you say it isn't a possibly useful move?

Ok reasoned argument and logic are clearly not your forte, so let's try a different approach that gets to the nub of the issue

You are a fucking idiot

I think that sums it up quite pithily
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast