Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 10:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Cool! So when I do essentially that same parry as Machida did, I'm doing karate too? Even though I've never studied it? Awesome! I wonder what other styles I've never practiced that I also do.
    Chun, Bagua, Mantis, Xingyi, Tai Chi and Western Boxing too name a few.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 11:17pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what do you guys think a block is here?
    it is a boxing parry that's it, all it is is a way to move your hands to redirect an opponents punch to get better positioning and avoid getting hit.
    you don't need to yell hiya and do it in the wide circles it is taught in, the wide circles are taught so beginners can iron out their form flaws in an amplified fashion.
    you will obviously find these manuveurs in every martial art with stand up because they work so the fact that you are trying to argue that they don't work is completely ridiculous.

Machida is better at parrying than most muay thai/boxers because of karate. that said his standup has flaws many boxers don't have, I don't think he has the power of a pure boxer but to say he isn't an amazing fighter would be silly.

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 5:35am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    it is a boxing parry that's it, all it is is a way to move your hands to redirect an opponents punch to get better positioning and avoid getting hit.
    you don't need to yell hiya and do it in the wide circles it is taught in, the wide circles are taught so beginners can iron out their form flaws in an amplified fashion.
    you will obviously find these manuveurs in every martial art with stand up because they work so the fact that you are trying to argue that they don't work is completely ridiculous.
    These two statements don't necessary link

Machida is better at parrying than most muay thai/boxers because of karate. that said his standup has flaws many boxers don't have, I don't think he has the power of a pure boxer but to say he isn't an amazing fighter would be silly.
    No one said he wasn't an amazing fighter. your statement that he's rad because of karate is your opinion and not based upon fact. It's only one of many possible reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 8:02am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    No one said he wasn't an amazing fighter. your statement that he's rad because of karate is your opinion and not based upon fact. It's only one of many possible reasons.
    it is my opinion, but you do know he calls his stand up style "Machida Karate" right?
    he's trained karate for years not boxing or muay thai, although I'm sure he has seriously dabbled in both although he has never specifically mentioned it so my theory really has the most support.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 8:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    ----argument based on misreading the original thread-- so the fact that you are trying to argue that they don't work is completely ridiculous.
    Let's make sure you understand the original thread because you are the only one arguing the real point that you missed.

The original thread started because the author said things like this:
    t constitutes an entire school of thought that "there are no blocks in karate", but rather they are a hidden "code" for certain counters, be they strikes (usually to vital points (known as "kyusho" or "dim mak") or grappling moves or both.
    In the contact sports, if hands are used protectively they are held close to the face as a shield. This was initially advocated with closed fists (a la boxing - see figure 1) until the advent of ungloved fighting in the early 90s (Ultimate Fighting and MMA) when I suspect the reality of having your own fist shoved into your face was revealed as scarcely better than just taking the punch full on (again, more about the boxing vs. karate "guard" another time). Nowadays it is standard practice to hold the palms up against the sides of your head/face instead of your fists (see figure 2).
    In this respect I return to one of my favourite analogies: saying blocks don't work "because no one does it like that in the street" is about as meaningful as criticising speedball training
    I had a young boxer come up to me once and say this, so I invited him to throw his fastest jab. Of course, with my own guard up, I was able to deflect it easily, using a hiki uke (see the series of pictures comprising figure 4 and the video below).
    I won't address his ignorance concerning bobbing, weaving and BLOCKING in boxing. It is just poor and ignorant of the sport.

So, we have the street vs. sport, the deadly, and scientific theories meshed into an article about blocks. Yes, and EVERY TMAer has to use boxing or MMA to make their point.

Now, instead of paying attention, you post a couple of parries not the traditional X-block, Dim Mak Blocks, and erroneous physic theories based on the article.

No one said BLOCKS DO NOT WORK. They said that his shitty physic based theories traditional stop pressure point blocks and mystical BS DO NOT WORK. If he said "uh durr parries work" no one would have posted anything negative. Instead eh built an entire article with a smidgen of truth and a ton of logical fallacies. Ridiculous is you not realizing that you said this:
    not enough karateka adjust their striking for mma, machida did and look how it worked for him
    You don't realize it reads like this:
    your statement that he's rad because of karate
    Because if you're saying those are karate blocks, then you've basically equated any sort of defensive hand motion with karate.
    Now, where exactly did they say those parries didn't work?
    so my theory really has the most support.
    No, it just shoes you love karate and not research. You know he has practiced BJJ, Muay Thai and Sumo FOR YEARS? He was a Sumo champion IIRC.

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 8:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing blocks work fine. Karate not so much.

I have used them to stop some guys who throw big overhands. hit them with an uppercut and move on.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 8:21am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, it just shoes you love karate and not research.
    That's what it reads like to me. Seeing someone say "Machida's karate is what makes him a champ" translates to "I really like karate!"

I used to do that too, equating everything with martial arts, and I was insufferable. Of course, I was also 16 at the time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 8:28am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, where exactly did they say those parries didn't work?
    No, it just shoes you love karate and not research. You know he has practiced BJJ, Muay Thai and Sumo FOR YEARS? He was a Sumo champion IIRC.
    i didn't really read the article tbh, I was just commenting on the fact that people think karate blocks don't work.
    As for BJJ and Sumo, I'm sure BJJ and Sumo did wonders for Machida's striking lol
    The fact is he himself considers his stand up style karate.
    I mean you have seen his stance right, you aren't going to try and tell me that his stance is a pure muay thai stance...

I'm not saying he's rad because of karate, I'm saying he's rad, he uses karate, and it works. Therefore karate must be a useful martial art. Also it is my opinion that his parries are highly influenced by his karate.

There is no more or less proof to that than there is to the contrary tbh.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 9:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because according to his Martial Artistry thread

Karate is NOT generic, while Muay Thai, Wrestling and Boxing are well generic, yet BJJ and JJJ (probably meaning Gendai JJ) is again NOT generic.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=#post2692989
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2012 10:10am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in terms of mma? no karate is not generic at all, Machida is one of the few who actually trains karate as part of his training regiment.
    JJJ also I have yet to see someone attempt to represent it.
    There are dozens of Wrestlers, boxers, muay thai fighters, etc etc usually a mix of the group with some BJJ.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with karate blocks working however... so why are you bringing it up here. Nice try?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast