Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 10:41am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions about Grappling and LEOS

this was an interesting thread to read.
    I agree that grappling is probably most important, but I think also weapon use, making space footwork and striking are all important.

I'm hoping to become an LEO and I recently started training Goju, I also am going to start Jujutsu soon and our teacher teaches LEO's in a few seminars every year so I believe it should be a good program to study in.

I want to train for a year straight in both so after a year from now I'll be a decent belt level and can put it on my application.

Do you guys think that it is something (martial arts training) that agencies would look favourably on on an application?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 11:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 11:09am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    Do you guys think that it is something (martial arts training) that agencies would look favourably on on an application?
    It would depend on the martial art and the person that was reading it, about half of the blokes at the Judo club I used to train at where serving police officers, they all said that Judo helped them with work but also it was a good way for them to let of steam.

As for the UK, I think having Judo on a application would help, not so sure about other martial arts though.

Here the police have their own Judo organisation (as part of the BJA), might be worth having a look if something similar exists in Canada? As that may give you an idea how widespread Judo (or other martial arts) is amongst police there.
    http://www.britishpolicejudo.com/

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Bosnia, having a Judo or JJ blackbelt caries some additional points when you seek employment in law enforcement.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 12:14pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can cut both ways - On the One hand it shows you have trained in some level of interpersonal confrontation, but on the other you might just come across as a mall ninja

It certainly does not hurt your application, but be careful in how you describe it. Make it seem like you enjoy it rather than you are obsessed by it and it will definitely add color to your application

I was going to write more but not from my fricking iphone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 1:42pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    okay so something simple like "I've been studying martial arts for a year because I like it it helps keep me in good shape and is fun and I like knowing self defence."
    Is better than
    "I train martial arts because I want to be an awesome fighter, a mean fighting machine, etc."

Should you mention that you thought it would be beneficial to policing or is that unnecessary?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I went through the academy, they asked if anyone had any previous martial arts training. I, wisely, kept my mouth shut. A couple of guys raised their hands. That was stupid. All the time we would be doing certain techniques and they would be either used as the dummies, or shown why some of their techniques didn't work. On the other hand, I looked like I just had an ability to pick stuff up quickly. Made my life a lot easier.

So, good on aplication. Bad when in DT class. When you get out of the academy it would be good to find out where everyone else is training. But don't talk about it other than that because you just look like a rookie beiatch.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I think that Judo would serve you best as an LEO. I have no Judo shops in my area. I train Danzan Ryu, which incorporates a lot of Judo. I have found the training to be useful. There are lots of come alongs and that sort of thing taught in Jujitsu. But, as I said, Judo would be a better bet because they do much more randori (live sparring) than the average JJ shop does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 8:29pm

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short answer? No it does not matter about putting it on your application. College, prior experience, Military, background, drug use. Those are what is looked at. The martial arts is not important at all (for getting hired). Its just not. Its an extra curricular activity at best. Most departments spend little time in training after the academy (to the tune of 10 hours a years or so). You will have to invest your own time and money like I did after the academy for any real training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2012 8:43pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad, who was a cop and chief of police for a long time, basically looks on those type of things as liability risks. I think he understands the danger in half-ass training peace officers with martial arts techniques. I know there was controversy with training LEOs with the LVNR awhile back.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast