Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    by saying generic I was not pertaining to the actual genre.
    generic is a pretty widely used term especially on the internet, mainly pertaining to the repetitive use and nature of a subject with space for a lot more variety (which is why people hate on generic pop music, teen drama movies and video games)
    and its not like you need a step by step you already understand what I'm saying so you are only wasting everyone's time.

in my use generic very clearly means: Most commonly used. Most unsurprising given the context of mixed martial arts.
    thats it, it isn't an insult it isn't even a shocking statement and it says nothing of practicality so seriously get over it.
    Wasting time? Then why did you avoid the question, but bring us an edited definition?
    Characteristic of or relating to a class or group; not specific: "chèvre is a generic term for all goat's milk cheese".
    Weird how the example explains your improper use.

In other words:
    MMA is a generic term for people who compete in mixed martial art competitions.
    MMA is a generic term for the arts BJJ, MT and Boxing to many people's understanding.

BJJ is a specific art
    MT is a specific art.
    Boxing is a specific art.

Generic says the definition doesn't apply to something specific.

Permalost and Cutlaigh already quoted you.

That's why the definition says not specific and why you purposely edited the definition.

No, what you are doing is backtracking. What I know is you suddenly used this definition when people told you it was an insult. If that isn't what you meant, it is to late because multiple people felt it was an insult.

Do you need that definition as well? You do know that there are at least 7 entries depending on the dictionary you use right? NO, of course not, you googled the word and went for the only one listed.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep trying to type a long and reasonable post citing the fact that I used to train Goju Ryu and I suppose I still technically hold an Orange Belt (yes, I just tried and I can still perform Gekisai Dai Ichi) but it just isn't working.

The only thing that's going to work for you, just as it was the only thing that worked for me and probably for many other people is this:

Take your Goju and spar, make friends with other MAists in your area, go to a TD if you can. Try to apply your bunkai against a resisting opponent, not just against the preset attacks, no matter how hard you're going.

Do this and keep doing it, then come back and tell us if you still think you can build a valid game with Goju as your striking base. (I respect the fact that you can probably clinch and grapple fairly well with your wrestling background, and I like that you intend to study BJJ)

Failing that, try this: I'm (technically) your senpai and I'm telling you to stfu and go train until you feel you can defend your beliefs instead of talking **** on the internet.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by saying generic I was not pertaining to the actual genre.
    generic is a pretty widely used term especially on the internet, mainly pertaining to the repetitive use and nature of a subject with space for a lot more variety (which is why people hate on generic pop music, teen drama movies and video games)
    and its not like you need a step by step you already understand what I'm saying so you are only wasting everyone's time.

in my use generic very clearly means: Most commonly used. Most unsurprising given the context of mixed martial arts.
    thats it, it isn't an insult it isn't even a shocking statement and it says nothing of practicality so seriously get over it.
    You can't just make up your own definition of something, tell people that definition, and then expect them to abide by it. You are refusing to acknowledge the proper definition and its use. This is not going to work out well for you if you aply this to other aspects of your life. But it does explain a lot about your ideas of "Martial Artistry".
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Goju Ryu Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ignoring the generic argument from now on...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I keep trying to type a long and reasonable post citing the fact that I used to train Goju Ryu and I suppose I still technically hold an Orange Belt (yes, I just tried and I can still perform Gekisai Dai Ichi) but it just isn't working.

The only thing that's going to work for you, just as it was the only thing that worked for me and probably for many other people is this:

Take your Goju and spar, make friends with other MAists in your area, go to a TD if you can. Try to apply your bunkai against a resisting opponent, not just against the preset attacks, no matter how hard you're going.

Do this and keep doing it, then come back and tell us if you still think you can build a valid game with Goju as your striking base. (I respect the fact that you can probably clinch and grapple fairly well with your wrestling background, and I like that you intend to study BJJ)

Failing that, try this: I'm (technically) your senpai and I'm telling you to stfu and go train until you feel you can defend your beliefs instead of talking **** on the internet.
    A lot of muay thai is incorporated in our training as well, the goju system we learn is fairly effective imo.
    Geksai dai ichi is the easiest kata :P

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ignoring the generic argument I created from now on...
    Fixed.
    Cool, maybe your thread can move forward now.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion really isnt that important that you all should be analyzing it so much...
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Importance is not a prerequisite for analysis. There are many reasons for examining unimportant things like your opinions (or rocks or feces, for that matter); they are often a source of great comedy, or maybe even some enlightenment.

If you're here to study your opinions about martial arts, that's a good thing. If you're just here to tell them to the world, the line starts in Trollshido.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/31/2012 9:58am at .

Style
    Parkour and Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marcwagz, on this forum you're expected to know what you're talking about before stating an opinion; if you can't back it up with evidence or expertise, you'd do well to just be humble and try to learn from your superiors.

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456