Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Gukgi Taegwondo was later influenced by Taegyeon, as can be seen in Olympic Taegwondo, which once again forces us to question what people actually mean when they say "traditional" Taekwondo.
    This helped me to understand your first post.
    There is no such thing as traditional TKD.
    I am enlightened; this is what happens when someone (me) trains more for the physical aspects of TKD and only has a superficial grasp on the true history. Every time my TKD teacher started explaining Korean politics, the philosophical aspects of the art, or the history, I nodded my head up and down, acted like I totally understood, and went on to the next lesson.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/01/2012 3:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Every time my TKD teacher started explaining Korean politics, the philosophical aspects of the art, or the history, I nodded my head up and down, acted like I totally understood, and went on to the next lesson.
    This is normally the safest thing to do, otherwise you end up like me & think anyone who practices Juche tul is essentially the equivalent of a Nazi sympathizer.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    You got me there. I was thinking subak (taekkyeon) was old school, but you took it all the way back to the Chinese root. I've never heard of Gongsudo, but Dang / Tang is historical.
    I learn a little something every day.
    Subak and Taekkyon are two different items all together. Neither which have original connection to Taekwondo. Kong/Gongsudo is another way of saying Karate for the most part. Tang/Dangsoodo is initself bastardized version of Shotokan with a touch of Chuan'fa added for flavor.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 2:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dangsudo & Gongsudo are the Korean pronunciations of the two Kanji sets for Karatedo. Taegyeon & subak are too completely different combat sports, neither of which had any direct influence on the development of Taekwondo, especially Choi's Odogwan. Gukgi Taegwondo was later influenced by Taegyeon, as can be seen in Olympic Taegwondo, which once again forces us to question what people actually mean when they say "traditional" Taekwondo.
    Well crap on me...I pretth much just repeated what you said in my previous post. Should have read through. :) I would say though that TKD kicking was influenced by HKD kicking, which depending on what history you want to adhere to, was influenced by Taekkyon.

As much as it may pain some people to be faced with, when we look at what the concepts of KMA were before the Japanese occupation and Taegwondo systems that mirror that in modern day, Olympic Taegwondo is far closer to Korean traditional spirit than ITF.
    Agreed. Especially the "spirit" of it. Koreans are very prideful people and the took something that was essentially Japanese and turned it into something that is completely their own art. I just got through reading a full history book on Korea and a lot of the their history has made helped me understand a bit more of their mentality when it comes to such things like Taekwondo.

I may have even found some items that don't quite jive with the Killing Art take on history. Though I am still sifting through it to make sure.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 2:23pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is normally the safest thing to do, otherwise you end up like me & think anyone who practices Juche tul is essentially the equivalent of a Nazi sympathizer.
    It is not the ones that practice the form so much as it is the ones going over to North Korea under the guise of "friendship" and support for that regime. Not to mention getting pictures of one person saluting a NK soldier.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    10/02/2012 3:57pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    It is not the ones that practice the form so much as it is the ones going over to North Korea under the guise of "friendship" and support for that regime. Not to mention getting pictures of one person saluting a NK soldier.
    It's all the same. They support genocide.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 11:38am

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, how I feel when I see someone driving a Volkswagen, Mercedes or BMW.

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:46pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Weiss View Post
    Yep, how I feel when I see someone driving a Volkswagen, Mercedes or BMW.
    See, this is why you're a dipshit, Earl, considering that the art you teach was & is subsidized by North Korea, so in short, shut the **** up.

Last time I checked, Germany is not a fascist nation. North Korea is.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 10/03/2012 12:52pm at .

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:48pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what Earl Weiss supports:

Posted On:
    10/03/2012 12:50pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time you practice Juche tul, you are supporting the oppression of young women like this one:

So, yeah, no. This is not like driving a VW.

Seriously, why not just go learn Final Solution Kata.

Gas Chamber Chagi.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 10/03/2012 12:53pm at .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast