Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    158
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    for the most part, they were using a simple 5 angle system. Wasn't sure if they were all the same, or if they were just doing that to illustrate concepts in a way that was relatable. Generally, they were doing
    1. high forehand
    2. high backhand
    3. mid forehand
    4. mid backhand
    5. sok sok/thrust

    The Bahala Na folks were doing a similar one, but it went
    1. high forehand
    2. low backhand
    3. low forehand (low to high)
    4. high backhand
    5. thrust

    I liked the flow of this pattern, even though my own training was making me want to do high backhand for 3 and chop straight down for 5.
    I've found that in general, styles that are Visayan or are heavily influenced by Visayan styles use the former as their first five angles, while styles that are from Luzon or are heavily influenced by styles from Luzon use some variation of the latter.

    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Anyone else notice kempo, kajukenbo, and kali forum = kkk forum? Probly just a coincidence right? Or maybe phrost is one of those nazi zombies?
    KKK is the abbreviation for Kataas-taasan Kagalang-galangan Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan, also known just as the Katipunan, the society that organized the rebellion against Spain; I think of this as our forum already, though it would be nice to have our own.

  2. #52
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl View Post
    KKK is the abbreviation for Kataas-taasan Kagalang-galangan Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan, also known just as the Katipunan, the society that organized the rebellion against Spain; I think of this as our forum already, though it would be nice to have our own.
    Here's a pic with that KKK flag in the background:

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    374
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to train with my old guro over the weekend, and instead of the twelve angles he taught me ten years back, he went with the first five-angle system there. It is nice and simple to get in the groove of.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    73
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No its the same Presas,
    the question was about 12 strike patterns.
    Remey and Ernesto both referred to the 12 strike pattern as the "traditional style"
    very similiar to Balintawak, however, I was told the style that particular numbering system came from was called "Numerado"

    There was a time that both Remey and Ernesto used the term Modern Arnis, Ernesto modified his system and called in Kombatan.

  5. #55
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,390
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KendalGuro View Post
    No its the same Presas,
    the question was about 12 strike patterns.
    Remey and Ernesto both referred to the 12 strike pattern as the "traditional style"
    very similiar to Balintawak, however, I was told the style that particular numbering system came from was called "Numerado"
    When you say #3 and #4 are at 45 degrees, that's a downward strike, I presume? And what about strikes going side to side/banda y banda?

  6. #56
    jspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,709
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Here's a pic with that KKK flag in the background:
    Interesting piece of history; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katipunan . But I assume that it's just a coincidence that we are the kajukenbo, kenpo,and kali forum and there happens to have been revolutionary Filipino group called the KKK . Surely this site isn't that well planned out?

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    158
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Interesting piece of history; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katipunan . But I assume that it's just a coincidence that we are the kajukenbo, kenpo,and kali forum and there happens to have been revolutionary Filipino group called the KKK . Surely this site isn't that well planned out?
    Just a coincidence - I thought it was a funny one, since you said it in the same post as saying we should get our own forum. It's fitting.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    73
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    these basic strikes are not a complete list, banda y banda, ocho ocho, otso otso and la rompita were considered alternative strikes. Like I said this was the old way of describing and numbering.
    The modern arnis and kombatan numbering systems are more inclusive of the alternative strikes.

  9. #59
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I still use the old Inosanto system...out of ... a desire not to get my head caved in by hearing "angle 8" and blocking the wrong line. [/IMG]
    Over the weekend, I was throwing off the drills sometimes because our angle 5 is a straight down strike, while in the other styles its supposed to be a thrust to the abdomen (which is our #6).

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO