Thread: Intro

Style
    wing tsun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro

Hello. My name is Sarah. I'm here to learn more about martial arts. I'd like to integrate martial arts into my weekly routine so that I can become more confident and disciplined. I also want to be able to defend myself should I come into a bad situation.

I currently work out 3-5 times a week (running, lifting, machines, cycling) and I used to swim competitively. I've decided that taking on a martial art could be a really great way to challenge myself, especially since it's so unlike anything I've ever done before.

I don't have any illusions about self-defense--I know that most assailants travel in groups to gang up on a solo victim, or carry weapons, and a 5'4 woman just might not have what it takes to get out of a worst case scenario. However, I would like to know *something* about self-defense.

I took a wing tsun intro class in Houston and loved it. I felt so relaxed and confident at the end. I'm not completely sold on the style, but I did like how the instructor continually told me "In real life, someone would assault you with this tactic, so you would ignore the style and go for the face/neck/etc--practice punching my nose." Ideally, I'd like to go to a school where I practice attacking the face, the neck, the groin--something to where if I was in a scary situation, I would be ready.

I look forward to learning a lot from these forums. :)

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!

Try to read the stickies before venturing into the other forums. We can be a rough group sometimes.

I would definitely recommend a search on wing chun to see some very long threads on that style.

Otherwise, enjoy the forums, jeep a thick skin on at all times, and try to remember that the only.thing you have to .lose are your illusions...
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Style
    ALIVE!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome withmyheels!

If you are in the Free State of Texas, and it sounds like you are, weapons are the way to go for personal defense. Even the baddest Wing Tsun chick with years of training is at best an even match for a determined male attacker, much less multiples. Consider how that equation changes when she has a knife or pistol, tables completely turned.

Style
    Youtube-do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick self defense tips: pepper spray, taser, buddy system, running, Don't hang out with stupid people. Don't go where stupid people hang out. Be aware of your surroundings (don't text while walking around).

Other members can add and elaborate to the list.

Tapatalk

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a lot of people are going to tell you to try judo. they're right :)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj