Posted On:
    6/12/2012 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Yongin.
    Right...it was already mentioned which why I didn't mention it again. Yong-in and Kyung-hee are the two popular ones. However, Korean Sports University actually have a better record for turning out good fighters. I wish I would have known about that place way back when. :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 1:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yun Soyi went to Dong-guk, but they have Sunmudo program...

Posted On:
    6/28/2012 9:16pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if this is a bit out of place, but on the whole issue of "better in the country of origin" while I would say that there can be world class gyms in the US, UK and elsewhere (Brazil and Holland come to mind) for Muay Thai, the level of competition and involvement in the culture (starting wicked young, seeing it on TV or live every weekend, etc) means that Muay Thai in Thailand is superior than that outside of the country.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 2:45pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know of any good Taekwondo or Hapkido gyms in Dongtan?
    Also what about kyuktooki?

I have heard mostly that korean dojangs for TKD are mostly for kids and not going to help you get good. If this is true this sucks for me since im thinking about going to korea for a job.
    Does anyone know if there are any kyuktooki (korean kickboxing) gyms that are near there that are good?

How much does it cost for hapkid or taekwondo training per month in korea?

Another stupid question: ive heard that going to kukkiwon you have the possibility of testing for dan rank earlier than the standard waiting period. Is this true? Can you test early or will they still make you wait?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 3:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    Does anyone know of any good Taekwondo or Hapkido gyms in Dongtan?
    Also what about kyuktooki?

I have heard mostly that korean dojangs for TKD are mostly for kids and not going to help you get good. If this is true this sucks for me since im thinking about going to korea for a job.
    Does anyone know if there are any kyuktooki (korean kickboxing) gyms that are near there that are good?

How much does it cost for hapkid or taekwondo training per month in korea?

Another stupid question: ive heard that going to kukkiwon you have the possibility of testing for dan rank earlier than the standard waiting period. Is this true? Can you test early or will they still make you wait?
    For the most part many schools will cater to the kids in the afternoon and early evening. Most of them will have adult classes in the later evening. This is for both TKD and HKD school. As for Kyuktooki, you will just have to ask around. They do not have them on every corner like TKD or HKD.

For the most part this is not true. You will have to wait for the appropriate time in order to go to your next rank. There are always exceptions. Sometimes written permission from you instructor saying that you can go to the next level will help or showing extraordinary contributions to TKD can help.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 3:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    For the most part many schools will cater to the kids in the afternoon and early evening. Most of them will have adult classes in the later evening. This is for both TKD and HKD school. As for Kyuktooki, you will just have to ask around. They do not have them on every corner like TKD or HKD.

For the most part this is not true. You will have to wait for the appropriate time in order to go to your next rank. There are always exceptions. Sometimes written permission from you instructor saying that you can go to the next level will help or showing extraordinary contributions to TKD can help.
    That is too bad about the kukkiwon thing. I got screwed out of rank when one instructor did not apply for my kukkiwon after I paid hundreds of dollars. So I had been 2nd dan in a very no-name organization. Finally i was able to find a korean instructor who allowed me to skip kukkiwon dan to 3rd since I was 1st already in kukkiwon prior. If I had been given proper rank I would be 4th dan by now going to 5th after 4 years. I was hoping to be able to get 4th dan and get KKW instructor certificate to run my own dojang one day. Guess ill have to wait!! oh well...

By any chance have you seen that kyuktooki DVD by turle press? I bought it for $5 and I have no clue how to find the gyms address or if it still exists. I would love to try out that gym.

How much does typical TKD/HKD cost per month?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 5:33pm

Style: taekkyon, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an MMA gym in Dongtan, though this might not be exactly what you're looking for. Also, directions. The site's all in Korean.

Also, this is a muay thai / kickboxing club in Dongtan. Probably you could get someone to call and translate for you.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 7:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is too bad about the kukkiwon thing. I got screwed out of rank when one instructor did not apply for my kukkiwon after I paid hundreds of dollars. So I had been 2nd dan in a very no-name organization. Finally i was able to find a korean instructor who allowed me to skip kukkiwon dan to 3rd since I was 1st already in kukkiwon prior. If I had been given proper rank I would be 4th dan by now going to 5th after 4 years. I was hoping to be able to get 4th dan and get KKW instructor certificate to run my own dojang one day. Guess ill have to wait!! oh well...

By any chance have you seen that kyuktooki DVD by turle press? I bought it for $5 and I have no clue how to find the gyms address or if it still exists. I would love to try out that gym.

How much does typical TKD/HKD cost per month?
    So at this point you are a KKW certified 3rd dan correct? Are you over 21 and do you have at least 3 years as a 3rd dan? If so, you can apply, however, you will still need to have a 5th dan or higher recommendation to apply.

Next question, are you looking to open up a school in Korea? If not then it does not matter what rank you are to open up a school in US. The only time it will start to come into play is when you start recommending students for dan rank.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    So at this point you are a KKW certified 3rd dan correct? Are you over 21 and do you have at least 3 years as a 3rd dan? If so, you can apply, however, you will still need to have a 5th dan or higher recommendation to apply.

Next question, are you looking to open up a school in Korea? If not then it does not matter what rank you are to open up a school in US. The only time it will start to come into play is when you start recommending students for dan rank.
    Thanks man. Yes I am over 30. Maybe I could possibly join a dojang by a 5th dan or higher if I get this job in Korea and get recommended. But then no I dont have exactly 3 years as a 3rd dan yet. That is why I assume ill just have to wait.
    I remember in the past Kukkiwon did do a special testing where people were allowed to skip multiple dans and test early as well. I was thinking possibly they could assess skill and test you even if it is early because of my history. but I guess not.

I know in the USA you can open a gym regardless, but the instructor certification and 4th dan is just a good thing to get for marketing purposes and the ability to rank your own students by Kukkiwon and put in paper work. I really want to provide something like that for my future students.
    I crrently simply teach at a community center doing Taekwondo and some Kickboxing classes.

I just think if I am going to Korea why not train TKD there and HKD and also find a korean kyuktooki gym because you are there in Korea so why not? I can train muay thai anywhere in the USA easy as well as BJJ. I just want to make sure I spend some time in Korea doing Korean martial arts. But I will still try to keep up my BJJ if possible.

and to TNMP thanks for the info on that MMA gym I might have to stop by sometime if I have the money. Budgeting for martial arts is tough when you want to save and pay off loans.
    Last edited by Andrew WA; 6/07/2013 1:31pm at . Reason: typos

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 3:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man. Yes I am over 30. Maybe I could possibly join a dojang by a 5th dan or higher if I get this job in Korea and get recommended. But then no I dont have exactly 3 years as a 3rd dan yet. That is why I assume ill just have to wait.
    I remember in the past Kukkiwon did do a special testing where people were allowed to skip multiple dans and test early as well. I was thinking possibly they could assess skill and test you even if it is early because of my history. but I guess not.
    Yes, in order to do that they had to be recommended by their instructor, proper total time in the arts. Example: For myself, if I would have tested on a consistent basis, I should be 6th dan. However I am a 3rd dan. At this point if I could get the proper recommendations, I could skip dan to 5th. I may be able to push to 6th dan simply because of my overall involvement in TKD, however, that would be a stretch but possible. Start with the date you received your 1st dan (even if it was a school dan, because you can argue that they did not apply for you when they should have). You may have a good case to get recommended for fourth and, if you have the actual time in, possible 5th. Again, it is a not an easy process, but it is possible.

I know in the USA you can open a gym regardless, but the instructor certification and 4th dan is just a good thing to get for marketing purposes and the ability to rank your own students by Kukkiwon and put in paper work. I really want to provide something like that for my future students.
    I understand. I would recommend contacting the United States Taekwondo Committee. Go to www.ustaekwondocomittee.com. Email them and tell them your situation. They may be able to give you the guidance and information that you need.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast