Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It certainly is magical.

Live it up, bro. **** having a real job and having to be nice to people when you're simultaneously envisioning yourself kneeing the **** out of their face.

I would like to get both my arms sleeved with gnarly tattoos but it would put me at a distinct disadvantage in the workplace.
    I'm an investment banker by day, and I am currently working on one full sleeve, and no one seems to mind, but I do wear long shirts when I have to. But then again I live in Hawaii where face tattoos aren't really that big of a deal. So I guess it depends on where you live.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 10:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eloneamigo View Post
    I'm an investment banker by day, and I am currently working on one full sleeve, and no one seems to mind, but I do wear long shirts when I have to. But then again I live in Hawaii where face tattoos aren't really that big of a deal. So I guess it depends on where you live.
    Like it or not, image is important in the business world. Appearance is important. People judge you on it. I avoid professional handicaps at all cost.

It does depend somewhat on where you live, but it depends more on what you do for a living and what your position is. It's rarely an issue in a blue collar profession. It tends to be more of a problem in white collar professions, especially at higher levels and especially if it is noticed during the hiring process. Some people can get away with it with no negative impact on their career. Most can't.
  3. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like it or not, image is important in the business world. Appearance is important. People judge you on it. I avoid professional handicaps at all cost.

It does depend somewhat on where you live, but it depends more on what you do for a living and what your position is. It's rarely an issue in a blue collar profession. It tends to be more of a problem in white collar professions, especially at higher levels and especially if it is noticed during the hiring process. Some people can get away with it with no negative impact on their career. Most can't.
    Right of course, I am partner and shareholder of the firm I work at, they are a harmless bunch and find novelty in the fact that I am so spirited and love to fight, I do respect the fact that I represent the firm as a shareholder and ambassador so out of personal respect for my colleagues I don't wear Aloha shirts, but instead I wear a long sleeve shirt and sport coat since my tattoo sleeve stops about about 7" above my wrist.

So nothing shows as long as I wear a long sleeve shirt. This is a similar notion in Japan, for the business men who are into the full body tattoos, because yakuza are not well respected by the masses tattoos in Japan are somewhat frowned upon. I just don't take my shirt off at pool parties since my back is also covered, so in a sense I do follow behaviors that differ from my fellow colleagues but, I think it's a fair trade off.
    Last edited by eloneamigo; 7/13/2012 11:27am at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This always bothered the **** out of me. What the hell does it matter what an accountant or a banker looks like, anyway? It's not like they're hiring a stripper.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  5. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    This always bothered the **** out of me. What the hell does it matter what an accountant or a banker looks like, anyway? It's not like they're hiring a stripper.
    Right, I grew up on punk rock, hating mainstream life, probably because I am part puerto rican and part white so I didnt fit in with the homies or the preppies. I also knew that I didn't want to work at MC D's or be to be a homeless bum. The way I see it, as long as you do top notch work who gives a ****. Luckily my bosses see through this, and even with tattoos and all I made partner. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones to find a cool boss, he went to Berkeley for engineering in the 60's, so maybe he was one of those smart laid back stoners who get **** done, who knows. But it seems like you have also found a cool niche that means something to you where you can be Mc Claw, and I commend you for it, keep up the good work man!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think with smaller companies the owners tend to prefer to hire people who look like them and they can get away with doing it.

With larger companies it tends to be instinctive more than institutionalized. Dress codes and such are more lenient today, but if you're interviewing for a job you still have to sit across a table from real people in order to get a job. If there's something about you they just instinctively don't like, maybe you'll still blow them away with your awesomeness and they'll hire you anyway. But with a large candidate pool there are usually people who are very similar with respect to skillset and interview prowess. So there's room for the gut feeling to influence the decision.

It's just human nature.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/14/2012 7:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no they hire someone who needs to representative.
    and like it or not, the majority of sheeple who also bring in the cash as potential customers think piercings, tattoos, blue hair and whatever as weird.
    it's about money and trying to come across as neutral as possible to reel in the largest amount of customers.

For example, like the Hawaian guy I have a full sleave on one of my arms and the most annoying thing about that is, the questions: ' does it hurt?'
    ' so what does it mean?'
    ' arent you going to regret it when you're like 80 and in a retirement home?'
    (as if they'll still look spectaculary sexy at that age lol)

or like the kid whose face I chose to not break last weekend: 'so you the new bouncer here?'
    while poking my chest repeatedly.

there are also pro's: women think you're a bad boy or these hot slutty tattoed women like Kat von D style start talking to you.

it's a bit like having a dog or riding a motorcycle, it can be a great conversation starter with chicks, but mostly with dickheads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2012 2:35am

Style: Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just did this on Monday:
    Looks good mate! ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly an unusual hair colour - not a lot of people could carry it off. You, however, do. I'm guessing that your chances with goth women just doubled. Not sure whether that is good or bad. Very cool scalemail, btw. I hope for your sake you have an eccentric press pumping the scales out for you. I'd hate to think of the work that goes into them otherwise.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 10:32am

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, third world sweatshop labor. Good to go! I approve. Not a big fan of the Pakistanis anyway.
    **** you seriously
    and **** the exploiters in the third world who betray their own people
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast