225329 Bullies, 4031 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 7:58am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I have developed all kind of secret bedazzling methods, which have greatly expedited my construction times. I've found a number of very good wholesalers who have really helped me reduce my material cost.
    I'm also typically upcycling clothing rather than making it from scratch. So with those armored leather gloves, I'm buying leather gloves in bulk from a wholesaler who gets them from a factory in Pakistan, and then adding the armor when they get to me. In this way, I'm essentially outsourcing half of the labor (the sewing, cutting, etc.), and doing the half of the labor that makes my product stand out (the armoring) myself. Since those Pakistani factory workers are willing to work for a lot less than I am, this ends up increasing my profits.
    I generally have about a 4-1 ratio on sales price to cost of materials, and my labor to cost ratio comes around to about 20-40 dollars an hour, depending on the item. Keep in mind, this doesn't include all the time I spend filling out paperwork, applying for conventions, updating my store and art gallery etc. etc.
    Also keep in mind, however, that I'm usually doing this work while playing D&D, chilling out with my friends, watching anime on Netflix, taking the bus up to Everette, or otherwise doing what I would be doing if I didn't have to work in the first place. So I end up putting in a lot of hours, but not ever feeling like I had to work.
    I've recently started hiring on assistants. I have a couple sales representatives back in the Great Lakes, who have been tasked with the sacred duty of getting paid to go to anime cons for me and sell my stuff. I also recently hired on my first production assistant to make sheets of scale-armor for me that I can then apply quickly instead of having to weave it all together myself (because damn, that **** is time consuming).
    Ah, third world sweatshop labor. Good to go! I approve. Not a big fan of the Pakistanis anyway.

It sounds like you're far beyond, "Well shucks I thanks Iz gunna make me sum clothes."

What do you think about the long-term potential of your business? Do you see it as something that will allow you to avoid working on a road crew to pay for your bologna sandwiches? Suburban house with picket fence and steak on Fridays? Or snorting coke off the hood of your Lambo seven days a week?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Ah, third world sweatshop labor. Good to go! I approve. Not a big fan of the Pakistanis anyway.

It sounds like you're far beyond, "Well shucks I thanks Iz gunna make me sum clothes."

What do you think about the long-term potential of your business? Do you see it as something that will allow you to avoid working on a road crew to pay for your bologna sandwiches? Suburban house with picket fence and steak on Fridays? Or snorting coke off the hood of your Lambo seven days a week?
    I did some calculations a while ago, and came up with maximum earning potential being something like 40-50k a year before I'd have to seriously modify my business model. At the moment, my biggest limiting factor is just breadth of distribution, and this growing rapidly. My volume of sales has more or less doubled every year since I started doing this stuff.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 7:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some calculations a while ago, and came up with maximum earning potential being something like 40-50k a year before I'd have to seriously modify my business model. At the moment, my biggest limiting factor is just breadth of distribution, and this growing rapidly. My volume of sales has more or less doubled every year since I started doing this stuff.
    I saw your online shop. Are there internet forums dedicated to similar types of fashion? I know nothing about this type of stuff but there are forums for everything now. Do you participate?

I've seen custom gun builders go from nothing to working fifteen hour days just to keep up with demand simply by participating in forums, getting their name out there and talking to people who share their interests. Maybe that's a no brainer. Just saying.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/03/2012 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I saw your online shop. Are there internet forums dedicated to similar types of fashion? I know nothing about this type of stuff but there are forums for everything now. Do you participate?

I've seen custom gun builders go from nothing to working fifteen hour days just to keep up with demand simply by participating in forums, getting their name out there and talking to people who share their interests. Maybe that's a no brainer. Just saying.
    Huh... maybe? The few fashion forums I've been on have, ah, a bit more "mainstream" then what I make.
    I should probably look into alt/goth forums. Vampirefreaks, here I come.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 8:43am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh... maybe? The few fashion forums I've been on have, ah, a bit more "mainstream" then what I make.
    I should probably look into alt/goth forums. Vampirefreaks, here I come.
    What you need is a viral video.

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 12:29pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    What you need is a viral video.
    I agree. I recommend phone-video of you soccer kicking a kid off a big-wheel.
    Then super close up of the jacket blocking the view while the audience just hear the tears being cut off by 7 or 8 follow kicks.

You'll need a catchy Jingle to go with the logo at the end.

I'd just steal "maybe she's born with it... Maybe it's maybelline"

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 12:30pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to shout "hoooof!" as you kick. It's the details that make the sales!

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    viral video a re-enactment of the full metal jacket bathroom incident, only with a supersoaker.

Posted On:
    7/07/2012 12:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how is 'suicide by cop' for a brandname?

Weak

Posted On:
    7/08/2012 5:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McClaw - congrats on getting your business off the ground and living the dream :)

Mongolia here you come?
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast