Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 11:38am

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough, I should clarify that by "very old" I didn't mean "ancient" per se.

My only source is "Scholar Boxer" by Marnix Wells, but it seems to indicate in the introduction that complete written records of a Tai Chi system were written in the late 1800s (Taijiquan Classic), but that Chang Naizhou, and some other internal martial arts writers that later influenced what became codified as Tai Chi were writing in the 1600s and 1700s. I'm not sure where that places Tai Chi in terms of technically "existing," but it's at least somewhat "old."

Now that I think about it, IiF has correctly corrected me once again, "very old" was an exaggeration of the time period I was thinking of. Will continue to hone my written self-defense skills (I never took debate in college).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 11:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. It's an old art. I mean, from what I've read and heard as well, it's where Kung Fu started. Here's how I see it. Tai Chi was (From what is believed) the very beginning of Kung Fu. It turned into an art style and then Kung Fu developed from it. Cause Tai Chi is basically learning to optimize your defense. But you're learning it so well, it becomes an every day thing for you. It's a long process too cause it's not like people are coming up to you every day and trying to beat you up.

You're learning how to move someone's hand aside, which is almost like parrying but it becomes without so much force since you become use to it. You turn your body in the right ways, along with your hand. But what Kung Fu did was kind of take this and expanded it to be more offensive, while applying the defensive aspects of Tai Chi. However, they kind of changed it cause Tai Chi takes a long time to learn.

It's a bit odd to understand whether Tai Chi has changed in a good or bad way because over time, it has either been simplified or taught in new ways. There are 5 basic schools of Tai Chi and yet, each has different forms with those schools. I practice the Yang school myself (Which is the most common school of Tai Chi), long form. But if you look at the oldest school of Tai Chi "Chen", it's simply beautiful and probably the most efficient.

Here. If you have the time, watch this kid. I apologize for rambling on so long. I tend to do that. But, please watch carefully. His head movement is always focused on where his opponent would be, his knees are bent in ways that I could only imagine to do, even his movements are quite smooth, and most important of all his back is always straight. Children are impressive, they can learn so much at a young age. Even the way he shifts his weight leaves me a little jealous. The only reason why Chen is not used as often is, as you can imagine, it's one of the hardest forms of Tai Chi Quan to learn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a clumsy oaf I am always impressed by the grace of the praticed movements by the veteran tai Chi practitioner. Cool video. Kids kind of creep me out though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 1:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi is both an offensive and defensive art. Good tai Chi entails all three ranges. It is not a complete art, but with the proper teacher it is good. If we are going to discuss misconceptions fine, but we aren't going to continue down the myth road of what came first "the chicken or the egg."

Yeah. It's an old art. I mean, from what I've read and heard as well, it's where Kung Fu started. Here's how I see it. Tai Chi was (From what is believed) the very beginning of Kung Fu. It turned into an art style and then Kung Fu developed from it.
    Kung fu, or any other systems, did not develop from Tai Chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 8:26pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a really interesting thread regarding Taijiquan's "history" from Sri Hanuman.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...733&highlight=

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Fair enough, I should clarify that by "very old" I didn't mean "ancient" per se.

My only source is "Scholar Boxer" by Marnix Wells, but it seems to indicate in the introduction that complete written records of a Tai Chi system were written in the late 1800s (Taijiquan Classic), but that Chang Naizhou, and some other internal martial arts writers that later influenced what became codified as Tai Chi were writing in the 1600s and 1700s. I'm not sure where that places Tai Chi in terms of technically "existing," but it's at least somewhat "old."

Now that I think about it, IiF has correctly corrected me once again, "very old" was an exaggeration of the time period I was thinking of. Will continue to hone my written self-defense skills (I never took debate in college).

330 BC

Late 3rd cent. BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And don't forget weapon arts. Egyptian paintings of stick fighting exist that are even older IIRC. To clarify, I wasn't trying to argue that tai Chi is the worlds oldest art. Just commenting that it has some written history.

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 9:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No doubt, just driving the point home.
    I saw your earlier comment re: wrestling etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 6:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And one final look at the primordial origins of the martial arts. I think this is a screen capture of the founder of Kali.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/05/2012 10:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2000 BC, I win.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast