Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/26/2012 11:03pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoiler:
    Wow, I expected JDS to take it, but Mir got completely crushed. He was never even in that fight. Probably his last title shot, I'd imagine. He just can't hang at the top level of the division. Also, I'm officially psyched for JDS-Velasquez 2 after Cain nearly killed Bigfoot.

Posted On:
    5/26/2012 11:14pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well there go all my varrots, (after losing most of them in previous bet)

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 6:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, JDS' Takedown Defense was surprisingly impressive.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 8:37am

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Noooo Ive lost all of my hard-earned carrot thingies!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 10:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was the best card I've seen in a long time. The preliminaries were awesome. Hell, I got my money's worth before the PPV even started.

Goddamn there was a ton of blood in the Bigfoot fight. That was one of the bloodiest fights I've ever seen. Cain looked great.

Dos Santos looked great too, as usual. I thought Mir did okay, at least considering how some other top contenders have performed against JDS. He went out and pushed forward and actually looked like he wanted to win, unlike some of his previous fights. That's probably the most you can expect of him at this point in his career.

I was a bit surprised Mir didn't clinch and try to push him against the cage. Not sure why. Maybe he felt like he couldn't close the distance. Maybe he was worried about getting trashed for a boring performance. Either way, he's pretty much a gatekeeper now if he keeps fighting. I wouldn't mind seeing him against Struve.

So, what do you guys think about the HW title picture? JDS vs. Cain II obviously. What about the number one contender spot? I know Werdum is scheduled to fight Russow in June. Maybe bring in Cormier to take on the winner of that fight for a title shot????

It's funny. A year ago the HW division seemed stack. Now after Lesnar leaving, Overroids testing positive and various ass beatings it's looking pretty thin again.

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it when Mir gets punched to the face.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 10:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I was a bit surprised Mir didn't clinch and try to push him against the cage. Not sure why. Maybe he felt like he couldn't close the distance. Maybe he was worried about getting trashed for a boring performance. Either way, he's pretty much a gatekeeper now if he keeps fighting. I wouldn't mind seeing him against Struve.
    I believe he tried, but couldn't get through JDS' punching range. That said, remember how the clinch in Mir vs Carwin ended? And remember how the clinch in Carwin vs JDS ended? Yeah.

Still, Mir is a DECENT gatekeeper. Can definitely beat half the division, maybe more on a good day. Mir vs Bigfoot would be nice.

So, what do you guys think about the HW title picture? JDS vs. Cain II obviously. What about the number one contender spot? I know Werdum is scheduled to fight Russow in June. Maybe bring in Cormier to take on the winner of that fight for a title shot????
    I definitely want both Cormier and Barnett in the UFC. Personally, I'd give Cormier one contender fight before a title shot.

It's funny. A year ago the HW division seemed stack. Now after Lesnar leaving, Overroids testing positive and various ass beatings it's looking pretty thin again.
    I've actually thought about this in broader terms. Ignoring rematches, and the ever changing rankings and upcoming fighters. Given a single moment in time, how many top fighters do you need, to call it a stacked league? Well, a stacked league is one where you have plenty of good fights. So given n top fighters, and they all fight each other once, how many fights do you have?

A, B
    ====
    1, 0
    2, 1
    3, 3
    4, 6
    5, 10
    6, 15
    7, 21
    n, n*(n-1)/2 = 1+2+ ... +(n-2)+(n-1)

Looking at the table I'd say 3 is too little, 4 is ok and 5 is good. In fact 5 is the sweet spot, since more makes the contender queue too long, ie it becomes questionable wheather fighters 6,7,... are still top guys.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 5/28/2012 6:32am at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2012 10:39pm

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was a thoroughly entertaining fight card. The only fighter I was really invested in was Velasquez, so it was nice to see him have such a dominant win... but holy ****, all that blood!

And in terms of whose left in the heavyweight division, I can't see anyone posing a significant threat at this point after Velasquez other than Overoids. I think Cormier and Werdum could also be contenders, but they need to be tested by people like Mir or Carwin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 5:24am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cain scared me, he looked like a man possessed.

I agree with Mir fighting Bigfoot next

Posted On:
    5/28/2012 7:29am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really good card!

Thought Velasquez looked fantastic. Still think he's the most likley candidate to beat JDS (or Overoids when he gets back)

Its funny Mir has been a top heavyweight for a while now without ever reaching the level of the elite guys. Plus he's annoying to I enjoy watching him get punched in the face.
    I think JDS, Velasquez, Overeem and possibly Cormier are all on a different level to the rest of the division.

Also great to see Hardy get a win after that 3 loss streak.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast