Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/23/2012 3:31pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I had to do one for Shodan which generalized martial arts and theories of origin; nothing about deserving a BB. For Godan it was more specific; that paper was based on the writer's reasons for taking martial arts and more important, why they continued to train.
    After Sandan, there is no demonstration, anatomy or pressure-point identification test for advancement. Post Sandan, it is based on what you give back as a martial artist (teaching, hosting tournaments, promoting the martial arts, etc.).
    Er, somewhat confused here (sorry). Shodan-Godan-Sandan?

Shodan-Nidan-Sandan, surely? Godan is 5th Dan to me...:-)

...and I'm a long way from it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 3:42am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly, I've just found out I'll need to take a written test for my Yellow belt/first level in Doce Pares(FMA). It seems to be history and terminology.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 4:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Er, somewhat confused here (sorry). Shodan-Godan-Sandan?

Shodan-Nidan-Sandan, surely? Godan is 5th Dan to me...:-)

...and I'm a long way from it.
    Sorry for the confusion, the out of order ranks are only explaining the requirements and there are only two papers, only for first and fifth; none for the ranks in between (Nidan, Sandan or Yondan).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2012 9:58am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of our instructors had to fly to Japan, get all dressed up in a suit, and take a written exam for his 8th dan. The testing board failed him a few times and made him do it all over again...we think its because he's been living in the US so long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2012 11:17am

Style: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaman123 View Post
    Hi everyone

Quick question for all on here

When youve been put through for your black belts have you ever had to write an essay on why you want to be a black belt ?

Just wondering out of interest

Cheers dudes

I was required to write an essay on any subject and give a presentation on it for my black belt. I did not not actually have to write an essay but I did give presentation on the Japanese language and helped others in my class with translations.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/25/2012 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninRyu1980 View Post
    I was required to write an essay on any subject and give a presentation on it for my black belt.
    Does promotion to black belt automatically make you an instructor in your system? I can understand the panel wanting to know that you can give a presentation if you are going to be teaching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2012 11:29am

Style: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Does promotion to black belt automatically make you an instructor in your system? I can understand the panel wanting to know that you can give a presentation if you are going to be teaching.
    No it dose not. It was just required that anytime before receiving a black belt a student had to write and paper on any given subject and present it to the school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2012 4:11am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaman123 View Post
    Hi everyone

Quick question for all on here

When youve been put through for your black belts have you ever had to write an essay on why you want to be a black belt ?

Just wondering out of interest

Cheers dudes
    I know that at least with our Org. You have to write a few papers on karate for your yondan and when your in the instructor training program, I remember my sensei r has a book about three inches thick with all the papers he had write for the program. really cool reads though.

Posted On:
    6/16/2012 3:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it would eliminate all the retards for one... In my dojo, to get a blackbelt one has to be at least 18 and teach some lower-ranked individuals for around 20 sessions and then be examined as a teacher under the supervision of the higher ranked Sensei. However, if the teaching is bad or the techniques are improper then they are failed. So in this case, blackbelt = potential to teach+knowledge of techniques..

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/16/2012 5:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberHiker View Post
    Well, it would eliminate all the retards for one.
    This isn't always possible; there are those unscrupulous individuals out there who may actually have someone else write a paper for them.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHiker View Post
    In my dojo, to get a blackbelt one has to be at least 18 and teach some lower-ranked individuals for around 20 sessions and then be examined as a teacher under the supervision of the higher ranked Sensei.
    I can appreciate the age and teaching requirements. In many schools (or systems), becoming a black belt means you are an instructor.

The original Kenpo association I started with had a six month or one year teaching requirement between brown and black belt. Once you became a brown belt, you could assist with the existing program for one year, or start your own group and teach for six months to meet the requirements.
    I'm not saying this was the correct way, but it was the way they did things.

Last edited by slamdunc; 6/16/2012 5:59am at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast