--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finding a Martial Art

Hello, first time post, and I dont know if this is the correct forum for this. I am looking in to starting a martial art. I am looking for one that teaches both stand up and ground techniques, which has a real world application. I took BJJ a few years ago and only learned grappling, no striking. I really wanted to do Krav Maga, but there are no schools in my area. (monmouth county NJ). Muay Thai sounds good but there is no ground work, or so I believe. Thanks in advance!

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Look for a MMA gym, most have a mix of Muay Thai and Submission Grappling (BJJ without a gi)
    2) Look for a CSW (Combat Submission Wrestling) gym
    3) Look for a Combat SAMBO gym

That are about the most credible options you have if you want to train at one place in an "allround" system, or you join two clubs (Muay Thai and BJJ for example).

So google around with this information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could try Hapkido. The Dojang i go to offers Hapkido as well as Taekwondo. When i visited one of the Hapkido classes, they had lots of throws and grapples, but they also train you in strikes.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
    Hello, first time post, and I dont know if this is the correct forum for this. I am looking in to starting a martial art. I am looking for one that teaches both stand up and ground techniques, which has a real world application. I took BJJ a few years ago and only learned grappling, no striking. I really wanted to do Krav Maga, but there are no schools in my area. (monmouth county NJ). Muay Thai sounds good but there is no ground work, or so I believe. Thanks in advance!

What's available in your area?
    This should probably be in Newbietown.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
    Are you wanting to 'start' up your own Martial Art? Or just find 'another' 'new' Martial Art to train in? I'm confused by the first couple sentences?

Style
    BJJ, Judo, SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it isn't exactly close but there is a school in Middlesex that teaches Combat SAMBO and is lead by Master of Sport, Oleg Savitsky. Zealous Nation MMA is the schoolThey have an MMA team and a boxing team as well. Is this more along the lines of what you were looking for?