Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 7:29am

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand Injuries and Punching Technique

In need of some Bully help:

I'm about a month and a half into MT training, and I'm loving it. The past couple of weeks, however, my hands hurt and ache whenever I punch, whether it be focus mitts or a heavy bag. I thought it might be my hitting technique but on the other hand, when I was pretty much untrained it wasn't hurting. Keep in mind that I'm wearing hand-wraps and boxing gloves while training.

The pain is often in my thumb joint and first joint of my pointer finger, but sometimes my whole hand just aches. The wierd thing is that it usually stops hurting on impact after a few rounds of hitting the mitts, and is just sore later on. I worked with our boxing coach and he didn't seem to think my punches were terrible for my level of skill at this point.

Any advice? Is this just a growing pains sort of thing and as my hands condition they'll be tougher and won't hurt? Is my technique probably the problem? Perhaps I just have brittle hands?

It's starting to interfere with my training because I am getting into this flinching habit when punching.

I'm considering trying some iron palm ointment from coiling dragon.

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 7:51am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are u sure that u wrap your hands correctly? are you sure that you form a fist correctly? what about the parts of your fist that suppose to make the contact? are they the only ones that connect? From my experience,if my thumb hurts it is because i hit with it..something that shouldn't happen..
    Wrap better or differently and see how it goes, try to hit with the correct parts only, use less force in the punch and emphasis on accuracy for a while. when doing bag work maybe punch with bare fists so to work on hitting properly, and to lessen the impact on your sore hands (obviously punch easy).
    Make sure your finger nails are cut close, and that the gloves are the right size and of a good quality.
    Let me know how it goes.
    Erez.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 7:58am

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Erezb,

Thanks for the advice. Let me throw out some details: According to my Kru I wrap my hands correctly and make a fist correctly. I just ordered some longer handwraps so that I can wrap a little thicker. I was throwing pretty sloppy hooks for a while so I think I was hitting with my pointer-finger knuckle at an angle sometimes, but I have tightened that up. I try to aim with the middle knuckle when throwing punches now. Maybe I aggravated my hand throwing sloppy hooks and now I've been training too hard and I need to let them heal up?

Thanks again

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 8:23am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should always let your ailment heal up, by resting.. i was talking about prevention when you start training again after the pain subsided. Try a different style of wrapping, you have a lot of ways (youtube) . Take it easy for a week maybe two..i know it is hard but you are better missing 2 weeks of training than months if you do damage. If you dont want to completely avoid MT, than at least during bag work concentrate on movement and kicking, use your hands symbolically, and when working the mitts, strike slow and accurate, so to hit with the proper part, also make sure your partner holds them the way he should.
    PS- don’t wrap too hard as to restrict your blood flow… wrapping should only keep your hand range limited so not to break the wrists.
    Bottom line , you probably need to give your hands more rest between sessions, not everyone have farmer hands J with time and regular training it will harden. Just listen to your body otherwise you are going to **** up sooner or later. (There is nothing wrong with shadow boxing, jumping rope and lifting weights for a while).