Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 12:07pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious question: is that he actually treats his students? Or is this video all just for some laughs? And if he really does treat his students like this, why do any of them come back?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 12:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to an article I read he hammed it up a little bit, but he is like that in the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 7:07pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    On one hand, some of the inadequacies he's exposing in his students' skills as boxers seem to actually be inadequacies in his skills/effort as a teacher.

On the other hand, that ****'s hilarious.
    I thought the same thing, but the sheer number of dudes in that gym who can't box makes me think that it's not entirely coincidental. It's possible that his tuition is deliberately set high. I don't know this to be true, but assume for a moment that it is. The only guys who would overpay for boxing at a gym like this are probably afraid to train at a gym where there are lots of good boxers, and any good boxer looking for a good trainer could easily find a cheaper place. Plus, guys with this kind of money probably aren't much trouble, and pay their dues on time. If its true, it's actually kind of ingenious.
    Last edited by Bahuyuddha; 5/20/2012 7:09pm at . Reason: Spelling

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 7:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's seems that he isn't waisting much time coaching. His students clearly show that in their efforts. Great place to go if you don't want to learn to box.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    Plus, guys with this kind of money probably aren't much trouble, and pay their dues on time. If its true, it's actually kind of ingenious.
    Ah, the Planet Fitness of boxing gyms. Shrewd indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm beginning to think that the video is just for laughs and not serious; he probably went to the beginners on purpose. Here's the website of the place he coaches: http://nyboxinggym.com/trainers_staff.htm

I'm gonna send them an email and see what's up with the video.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 11:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky279 View Post
    I'm beginning to think that the video is just for laughs and not serious; he probably went to the beginners on purpose. Here's the website of the place he coaches: http://nyboxinggym.com/trainers_staff.htm

I'm gonna send them an email and see what's up with the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    According to an article I read he hammed it up a little bit, but he is like that in the gym.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1527359.html

"He turned it up a little for the camera, but that's basically all Eric is," Jason Strout, owner of Church Street Boxing Gym, told The Huffington Post in a phone interview. "He's a handful."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I read that article too. I was still curious about the quality of the boxers and whether if they knew it was all in good fun, so I sent the email.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 12:22am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky279 View Post
    Yeah, I read that article too. I was still curious about the quality of the boxers and whether if they knew it was all in good fun, so I sent the email.
    If I was in New York I would definitely check them out, and pretend to be an even more terrible boxer than I am. Anyone local want to check out one of their classes and see what they're like?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the email I sent them:
    One of your staff members, Eric Kelly, made the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDnX6ubgnk8
    I was wondering if the video was actually serious or if Eric Kelly and the students made it was just for some laughs. I can't really imagine a coach being like that and still have any students training there.
    Here's the email I got back:
    It's a little tricky. Eric is our most popular trainer and indeed, his personality is exactly like you see on the video. Two of the "wall streeters" however, are involved in producing the video so they are in on receiving some hard abuse for the segment. Normally, Eric has over 30 private lessons (he has more since the video) and only jokes with the clients who are cool with his personality. As you may have the seen, the video has since gone viral and Eric remains extremely popular.
    I recommend you come down to the gym and check out any of our classes. Obviously, an hour-long class will give you a better idea than just a four-minute video.

And thanks for the email!
    Jaime
    CSBG
    Dude sounds pretty awesome, to be honest. I wouldn't mind training there.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast