Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 5:18pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surprisingly, Permalost, no. However, keep in mind that what I am after would go well with the death metal genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I KNOW I'M PROBABLY UNLEASHING A BEAST, BUT PLEASE TRY NOT TO LET THIS DEVOLVE INTO A DISCUSSION ON RELIGION. As Stephen Fry's character in V For Vendetta once said of the Quran: "I don't have to be a Muslim to find the images beautiful or its poetry moving". Same is true here, I don't need to be a Christian to appreciate it's music.
    Like you I'm an atheist and have about as much faith in God as I do in David Cameron being a conservative, but I find the kind of church music your looking for deeply touching and beautiful.

I don't know if its the decade of compulsory chapel and hymn signing at school or a deep appreciation of the art of the music, but I enjoy it and find it soothing.

This is a beautiful example

And I would rather listen to it without translation as my rusty latin isn't up to it and I think it adds to the experience to just admire the poetry of the words than know their real meaning.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 11:55pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The suggestions are much appreciated so far. Miserere Mei Deus gave me some great ideas. I actually need it in Latin, I am currently studying it on my own and this project requires it to all be Latin.

Just quickly, though, judoka_uk, I am a Theist. I do understand your solidarity with my opinion on music appreciation and it is not in vain, beautiful music in all forms transcends origin and we are in agreement on that, we don't need a philosophical enmeshment. I'm actually closer in definition to a Deist, without the belief in a "Divine Abandonment". I don't subscribe to religion; man defining a Higher Power, whatever it is, is like a skin cell describing the entirety of the human anatomy to the other skin cells, it's pointless and impossible.

I don't push my beliefs on anyone, I live within a moral code and am happy to be questioned about my beliefs and from where they stem. I have a low tolerance for militant atheists and theists alike that push for conversion to their way of thinking whom have shaky reasoning (this is not directed at anyone). I will listen to a well-reasoned argument, but I am yet to be convinced out of that which I am convinced. In short, I have courage of my convictions and I believe in actions, not words, although sometimes words are actions. Cryptic.

Well, hell, didn't I just **** up my own declaration!

A little cloak and dagger this project may seem and for good reason. I realised recently that during my entire music career my vision has always been directed and diluted by my innate ability to let others do the work. If I met a decent vocalist, I'd collaborate. If I had an idea of a sample, I'd compromise. I'd look for a particular type of beat and end up going, "meh, close enough". If I had a concept, I accepted others opinions that it just would not sell/ sound good/ work. So now I have a vision that will not be compromised, I have a purpose that is indomitable, I have a project that I will work on until I believe it perfectly encapsulates me so that when it is released, on my death bed regardless of its success, I'll have my masterpiece. I care not for fame and money, I care not for infamy or debauchery, I've lived all of that already in some small way and it did not satisfy in the slightest. This is for me even though it aims high and if someone else gets something out of it, good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 5:08am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I've researched so far some Gregorian chants (Knights Templar, Dies Irae, a few others), but they aren't exactly what I need. They're haunting, but I need more than monophonic vocals for this project. In fact, I am thinking a choir+orchestra sound is what I am looking for, but I don't want to narrow the scope too far in case you have something worthy.

Anyone able to direct me further?
    Have you considered Enigma?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 6:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For creepy stuff, go to Germany.

In Germany, look for the people they call Schelmish. Or, Hekate.

Not church music, but this you will hear before I run my bastard sword through your guts and lick your hot blood from the blade!

...Bro.

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For 'ominous' and 'foreboding', anything involving the word 'castrati' might do...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a 17th Century (I think) Spanish composer named Tomas Luis de Victoria who wrote a lot of Latin choral pieces. The Westminster Cathedral Choir put out a series of recordings of his stuff in the 1980s. It may be a bit lighter than what you want but it is polyphonic and quite musically competent especially his Ave Maria. Good luck!

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try some Orthodox music.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 4:06pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I accidentally set both videos of Mescerere Mei Deus in this thread running at the same time, about 1:50 apart. Sounded rather wonderful. Then tried it over a Godflesh tune. Sounded a bit mental.

Choral music in underground metal, when subtly done, is pretty cool.

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    For 'ominous' and 'foreboding', anything involving the word 'castrati' might do...
    Damn, beat me to it.
    The last Castrato, Ave Maria
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast