Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 4:45am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dark Ages dark music

What better place to start looking for good old Medieval/ Renaissance Catholic Christian Church music than Bullshido?

Keep in mind I have zero idea of what I am actually looking for when I ask this, but just know that I'll know what it is when I hear it:

Basically, I'm doing a personal project that requires a range of different musical pieces from Christianity's history. And not from too modern history, I'm talking Gregorian chants mixed with Organum chants mixed with orchestras. I want the darkest, most haunting sounds that the Church has ever produced, I'm talking deeply foreboding, make you think Hell's Gates are a poly note away from opening, Lord please forgive us sinners for our sins- type music. I'm in need of the most disturbing pieces of beauty imaginable, vocal and orchestral glory that makes Satan quiver and his gruff voice quaver.

I understand there are good examples of modern Christian music, but that is not what I am after, in fact, I enjoy many modern Christian bands so no need to tell me about them unless they have covered something like the description above.

I KNOW I'M PROBABLY UNLEASHING A BEAST, BUT PLEASE TRY NOT TO LET THIS DEVOLVE INTO A DISCUSSION ON RELIGION. As Stephen Fry's character in V For Vendetta once said of the Quran: "I don't have to be a Muslim to find the images beautiful or its poetry moving". Same is true here, I don't need to be a Christian to appreciate it's music.

I've researched so far some Gregorian chants (Knights Templar, Dies Irae, a few others), but they aren't exactly what I need. They're haunting, but I need more than monophonic vocals for this project. In fact, I am thinking a choir+orchestra sound is what I am looking for, but I don't want to narrow the scope too far in case you have something worthy.

Anyone able to direct me further?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 4:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tibetan chants/throat singing are pretty goose bump inducing, but that's not christian.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 4:55am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Appreciated, but must be Christian.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 5:41am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Now, from my understanding this is secular, but this is the vein in which I would like to stab.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 7:20am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    What better place to start looking for good old Medieval/ Renaissance Catholic Christian Church music than Bullshido?

Keep in mind I have zero idea of what I am actually looking for when I ask this, but just know that I'll know what it is when I hear it:

Basically, I'm doing a personal project that requires a range of different musical pieces from Christianity's history. And not from too modern history, I'm talking Gregorian chants mixed with Organum chants mixed with orchestras. I want the darkest, most haunting sounds that the Church has ever produced, I'm talking deeply foreboding, make you think Hell's Gates are a poly note away from opening, Lord please forgive us sinners for our sins- type music. I'm in need of the most disturbing pieces of beauty imaginable, vocal and orchestral glory that makes Satan quiver and his gruff voice quaver.

I understand there are good examples of modern Christian music, but that is not what I am after, in fact, I enjoy many modern Christian bands so no need to tell me about them unless they have covered something like the description above.

I KNOW I'M PROBABLY UNLEASHING A BEAST, BUT PLEASE TRY NOT TO LET THIS DEVOLVE INTO A DISCUSSION ON RELIGION. As Stephen Fry's character in V For Vendetta once said of the Quran: "I don't have to be a Muslim to find the images beautiful or its poetry moving". Same is true here, I don't need to be a Christian to appreciate it's music.

I've researched so far some Gregorian chants (Knights Templar, Dies Irae, a few others), but they aren't exactly what I need. They're haunting, but I need more than monophonic vocals for this project. In fact, I am thinking a choir+orchestra sound is what I am looking for, but I don't want to narrow the scope too far in case you have something worthy.

Anyone able to direct me further?
    How far back are you trying to go? Depending on that, most of what you find will be something someone in recent history has made. Since there are no recordings of music as far back as I think you're trying to go, nobody knows what style the musicians would have played. This is what I gathered from my Viking research.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 7:46am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, without getting too scathing because I don't want this to turn into a trollfest, I am aware they didn't have Protools or Cubase back in those times. I'm also aware that at one stage the Church either banned or discouraged the writing down of any of the music, as it was all meant to be learnt by hearing the previous vocalisations, which means it would have evolved somewhat even in the era as new generations either fucked up the original or slightly tweaked it, either by note or by tempo. Apparently there was many, many composers who, once allowed to write the music, couldn't agree on time signatures, etc, so that would have fucked the original sound a bit when it could be recorded.

All I am looking for is a modern recording/ rendition of what is thought to be from around those times.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is an online database of Gregorian chants and Church music from the medieval period. Probably just google some names from there or youtube them:

http://cantusdatabase.org/masterchants

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out Mozart's requiem

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 10:25am

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is a good one,

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This wouldn't be for death metal purposes, would it?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast