...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, I got a gen 4 glock...

Well, I finally sold my Mini 14 and used the proceeds to get a full sized Gen 4 Glock 17. For a long time I'd been fed up with the relative unreliability of my 1911, and the cost of .45 ACP ammo was making me feel poor. So I decided to really treat myself and get a Gen 4 Glock.

I haven't gone live with her yet, but I've been doing a lot of dry fire. My biggest complaint about Glocks in the past had been the mushy trigger pull. But the Gen 4 trigger actually feels nice and crisp to me.

I also am really digging how the Gen 4 ships with extra backstraps of different sizes. I've put on the largest backstrap and it fits my hand really well. I don't feel like I'm scrunching a bit when I pull the trigger like I do with the default backstrap. I'm so pumped because during dry fire, that large backstrap and the crisp trigger just seems so right. It feels like I've got a rocksteady grip and my sights are absolutely rock solid as I roll that trigger back.

I ordered by Glock from Glockmeister and had it ship with the extended slide release. I am also really digging that because it feels good and is easy to manually lock the slide back with no magazine inserted, which was a little bit of a pain with the original slide lock.

The gun also shipped with a mag loader, which is nice, because I really hated loading 9mm Glock mags using only my fingers, which would get sore.

I'll finally be able to mount the tac light I got for Camp Skeletor on a real firearm now and not just my airsoft gun, since unlike my Kimber TLE II Custom, the Glock actually has an underbarrel slot.

So far, it seems like all the problems I had with Glocks before in terms of the mushy trigger and ergonomic issues have really been improved in the Gen 4. I just need to take her out to the range and see how she shoots. I have to say I'm really excited.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 9:37am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats, I'm sure you will like it even more after you shoot it. The Gen4's also have a different recoil spring assembly that people seem to like.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 4:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a gen4 glock 19 for almost 2 years, and I really like it. Some people have had issues with recoil springs, but I never did, and I have one of the original gen4 ones.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your new toy. I assume so, since you'll actually be able to afford to shoot it regularly.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 2:29pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mushy? I guess I can see that, but I never really thought it felt that way. The trigger reset on a Glock is very positive and great for shooting at speed. That's one of the things I love about it. The Gen 4 trigger comes a little gritty, but it smooths out well. If you're anything like me, you may just find the Glock trigger to be one of the best in the industry because of that reset. It makes trying to shoot DA/SA pistols much less enjoyable.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I also am really digging how the Gen 4 ships with extra backstraps of different sizes. I've put on the largest backstrap and it fits my hand really well. I don't feel like I'm scrunching a bit when I pull the trigger like I do with the default backstrap. I'm so pumped because during dry fire, that large backstrap and the crisp trigger just seems so right. It feels like I've got a rocksteady grip and my sights are absolutely rock solid as I roll that trigger back.
    IMHO, the interchangeable backstraps are the single best improvement. The trigger is a lot better, and I really appreciate the new texture.
    I still carry a gen3, but bought a gen 4 when I went to the Glock armorer course (huge discount); I haven't fired it yet, but it feels really nice.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/20/2012 10:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took her out to an outdoor range yesterday afternoon. I fired 50 rounds so am still definitely in the break-in period, with new springs, new mags, new everything.

The biggest difference between the Glock and my old 1911 is the "spikey" 9mm recoil, versus the steady .45 ACP recoil, and the fact that I can't ride the safety like I do with the 1911. I found myself actually playing with my grip a little bit so as to better be able to control recoil.

Up till now, I would have both my thumbs pointing to the target, and my right thumb would be riding the 1911 safety. I can't do that with the Glock, and I don't want to ride the slide stop with my thumb since that would prevent the slide from locking back on an empty mag. So, I started experimenting with crossing my left thumb over my right thumb to try and get a really good grip, and squeezing my left hand harder, to try and really ensure a steady and consistient follow up to each shot.

I am happy with the gun but feel like I need to invest the time in practice to let this particular weapon system become second nature to me like the 1911 is. Happily, with the 9mm ammunition as cheap as it is, I just may be able to do that. :)
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 1:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recoil on a Glock 17? What? For me, the Glock 17 lands right back on target almost instantly after cycling with barely any recoil at all. Love it. You should still be able to point both thumbs forward.

"Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 8:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I am just in the process of getting accustomed to not having that thumb safety to ride and actively push down on. Thanks for the video.

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 3:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem. I went through the same process in about 2008 when I got my first Glock. Used to hate them, too. At this point I don't carry a Glock anymore, but I still shoot them better than the vast majority of pistols. They fit my hands just right. I've also got more practice with Glocks than anything else, though.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/21/2012 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    At this point I don't carry a Glock anymore, but I still shoot them better than the vast majority of pistols. They fit my hands just right. I've also got more practice with Glocks than anything else, though.
    I carry a Glock 23 as my duty weapon; it is idiot-proof (comes in handy sometimes), dependable, it fits my hand well, and is fairly accurate. I am much more accurate with my 1911, but a). the ammunition is dreadfully expensive, and b) if I dropped my Glock and it skidded down the sidewalk as I was chasing someone, I'd say an unkind word or two. If I scratched my Kimber (which cost three times as much as my Glock) under the same circumstances, I would probably lose it and would be really pissed-off (probably wouldn't shoot someone over it, but you never knos).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast