Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    5/31/2012 6:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    In Gainesville Florida, these female patrons who wanted to get into an Egyptian hookah lounge kept saying "hey, why don't you speak english!" thought 1. way to strengthen the 'florida is a god-forsaken place infested with mosquitos' stereotype. thought 2. 'why are you trying to go into this egyptian establishment to begin with?
    The modern Hookah trend was certainly starting when I was at school in 05-07 and there was a significant subset of people at university who were using hookahs in 2010. I went to a private school and my friends weren't exactly risk takers so it must have been mainstream well before then.

I never got involved myself, but there was definitely a trend for people on the edge of the UK equivalent of the hipster sub-culture to smoke hookah. In fact I would say it was the thing that crossed over from the proto hipster culture into mainstream posh culture as well as mainstream culture.

Loads of house parties featured a room with a hookah in it and lots of people had them.

I doesn't surprise me that people are going to hookah bars and demanding they conform to western standards given the ubiquity of hookah pipes over the last 6 years.

pro nonsense self defense

Style: 
    FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Posted On:
    5/31/2012 6:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hookahs and hookah bars are pretty common/popular here too. I remember many times walking through downtown and having to stop so a friend of mine could chat with a girl he liked who worked at a hookah bar. It would take forever and I'd end up joking around with the security guy about how hopeless my friend was being.

Registered Member

Style: 
    Injured

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I thought it was only popular here. But it's not exactly a trend it's been around for ages, before I was born even.

Also, the Egyptian name for it is Shisha, the Lebanese/Syrian name is Hookah.

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    6/03/2012 5:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Wow, I thought it was only popular here. But it's not exactly a trend it's been around for ages, before I was born even.

Also, the Egyptian name for it is Shisha, the Lebanese/Syrian name is Hookah.
    Its always been called shisha amongst people I've known, but I've also heard them called hookah pipes or hubble bubble pipes.

Shisha is by far the most common name for them in England. Probably something to do with lots of English people holidaying in Sharm el Sheikh.

Style: 
    gong fu & taijiquan

Posted On:
    6/08/2012 2:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Its always been called shisha amongst people I've known, but I've also heard them called hookah pipes or hubble bubble pipes.

Shisha is by far the most common name for them in England. Probably something to do with lots of English people holidaying in Sharm el Sheikh.
    It's also the most common name to call it in Spain, mainly among youngsters. Older people use to call it narghile or even "cachimba".
    The finest middle east-style restaurants and coffee houses used to have shishas for their customers. But, since tobacco has been banned from almost everywhere and you only can smoke in the street or at home, I don't know if they still offer you a hookah to share and chat .
  6. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/11/2012 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lol'd I hate stuck up **** talking slutties.
  7. eloneamigo

Posted On:
    7/13/2012 12:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Feel good? Nah son, that was fucking assault. Fucked up as it was, it does serve to illustrate a point, which is as follows: The fact that you're hot doesn't mean that a ************ won't wail on you for chucking a drink in his face. One never knows when a fucking asshole will be the one to not take your ****.

Personaly, I may have whipped out my dick and pissed on her. Maybe.
    technically she assaulted him as well, assault: figurative attack or bombard (someone or the senses) with something undesirable or unpleasant. You pissing on her would have counted as sexual assault.

Yours truly

Style: 
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 6:58pm

Business Class Supporting Member
    Business Link: PDS Rifles

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys completely missed my point, mainly due to the bad way I wrote my post. I think hookahs are cool as ****. Also I appreciate the offer for me to try hookah, I've tried it but I'd gladly accept the generosity.

I meant to say; if she was so against people who speak English with one of those 'dark skinned' accents (i.e. racist as ****) then why was she trying to go into this establishment, owned by the Egyptian Americans?
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Yours truly

Style: 
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 6:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
    Business Link: PDS Rifles

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eloneamigo View Post
    technically she assaulted him as well, assault: figurative attack or bombard (someone or the senses) with something undesirable or unpleasant. You pissing on her would have counted as sexual assault.
    she actually did worse and battered him.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
  10. top knot

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 11:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    worst bit is, even if she had slapped or punched him, and that was his response, he'd still, here in the states, likely be looking at jail time without so much as a glance askance at her. Men here, it seems, are obliged to put up with quite a bit of what may constitute 'assault' from women, just because the legal system (or, rather, it's enforcers and judges, et al) seem to think that we should take it.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast