Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 6:23am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well they actually can, fMRI and ****.. But you need to take a pic of the fighters brain in the start of his career like when you check his max Vo2 and cardiogram for example and maybe periodically test and compare. Could be a good idea. They say that MMA fighters suffer less because after a knock down they cant recuperate for ten secs, so their suffering is shorter....i don't know if i agree with that..someone laying on you and hammer punching your head after you were knocked down isn't beneficial to your arachnoid membrane either

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 10:53am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simple solution to that is to shave your head and condition it on a makiwara post from all angles. That way you can build enough callous to cushion the blows better than regular head gear would.
    Jokes aside, this is a serious issue and the military is really getting involved as well in relation to battlefield explosions.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us...-to-bombs.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 12:18pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsCG View Post
    Last fall there was a series of articles in swedish media regarding brain damage and ice hockey. Pads and helmets won't suffice. And a fun thing is that if you've managed to get some concussions, you're much more liable to mess up and get other injuries too.

http://www.ltu.se/ltu/media/news/Hoc...g-1.85199?l=en
    Like I said, my classmates and professor both disagreed that pads and helmets wouldn't suffice. They thought the whole issue was a joke. Also, that was a point made in the article, if I recall correctly. After football players sustained a few head injuries, they were more likely to fumble/be intercepted/etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 12:28pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not making any medical claims here...this is all opinion, but there are mind supporting supplements which are available (Nootropics) and some believe that these may be a good safeguard against dementia related conditions, especially for people like Battlefields (seriously, man) who may have, though their sheer awesomeness, put themselves at undue risk.

Bill Romanowski, ex NFL player and sufferer of many concussions, developed Neuro1 to assist in cognitive health. I haven't tried this particular brand, but I hear good things: http://www.nutrition53.com/neuro1.htm

Joe Rogan is a contributor/spokesman for AlphaBrain, which I have tried and have experienced positive effects to my quickness of thought and processing: http://www.onnit.com/alphabrain/

Having said that, and nothing against the aforementioned products (as I said, I haven't even tried Neuro1), but I personally use Memoren: http://www.ruved.net/Memoren_p_167.html

This stuff makes me feel amazing. Better at work, better at training, better at everything. Like I said, I can't speak on these supplements' effect on long term brain health, but others have. I can say that the tangible results lead me to believe that my overall brain health and longevity would very likely be improved with any of these products.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 2:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Not making any medical claims here...this is all opinion, but there are mind supporting supplements which are available (Nootropics) and some believe that these may be a good safeguard against dementia related conditions, especially for people like Battlefields (seriously, man) who may have, though their sheer awesomeness, put themselves at undue risk.

Bill Romanowski, ex NFL player and sufferer of many concussions, developed Neuro1 to assist in cognitive health. I haven't tried this particular brand, but I hear good things: http://www.nutrition53.com/neuro1.htm

Joe Rogan is a contributor/spokesman for AlphaBrain, which I have tried and have experienced positive effects to my quickness of thought and processing: http://www.onnit.com/alphabrain/

Having said that, and nothing against the aforementioned products (as I said, I haven't even tried Neuro1), but I personally use Memoren: http://www.ruved.net/Memoren_p_167.html

This stuff makes me feel amazing. Better at work, better at training, better at everything. Like I said, I can't speak on these supplements' effect on long term brain health, but others have. I can say that the tangible results lead me to believe that my overall brain health and longevity would very likely be improved with any of these products.
    For the record: if the word "proprietary" appears on the ingredients list, it means they don't want to tell you what's actually in it and, empirically speaking, it's probably snake oil.

For actual neuroprotective effects, take creatine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 2:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post

Could you elaborate on that?

I'm sure i can find info out there, yet i'd like to hear your take.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 10:20am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a pretty big issue. And I'm glad it is being brought up more in the media, with football players off-ing themselves left a right. It is also disturbing to me personally because like most of you, I've had a bunch of documented concussions. I played prop on my college rugby team for 4 years, including whoring onto men's teams, and playing in the all-star tournaments. Plus sevens in the summer! I had about 4 concussions that I remember. I also had one when I was in a head on collision.

I don't have any memory problems, but I did have drastic personality changes, and some of my co-workers claim that I am schizophrenic... I'm not, but they just don't think outside of the box like I do. Plus they think stick fighting is crazy.

But yeah, they can see brain atrophy, white matter disease, and inschemia on CTs and MRIs of the brain. They just can't atribute them to brain injury versus pre-existing conditions.

The cool thing is, though, that they can treat for it through neuro-psych testing and treatment or just seeing a mental health doctor. And awareness is a big step.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 10:37am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    For the record: if the word "proprietary" appears on the ingredients list, it means they don't want to tell you what's actually in it and, empirically speaking, it's probably snake oil.

Well, the stuff I recommended, Memoren, has all the ingredients on the bottle and is produced by a company quite revered at the health food stores. I'm just saying that people should try the stuff...I find it to have profound effects for me.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Could you elaborate on that?

I'm sure i can find info out there, yet i'd like to hear your take.
    Check out this post (if the anchor taking you to the specific post doesn't work, just hit Ctrl-F and look for the word creatine).

Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Well, the stuff I recommended, Memoren, has all the ingredients on the bottle and is produced by a company quite revered at the health food stores. I'm just saying that people should try the stuff...I find it to have profound effects for me.
    I was more taking a shot at Romanowski's product. Memoren does list the quantity of their ingredients, but unfortunately they don't go into much detail about their breakdown. I guess that's a general problem dealing with herbals rather than chemically isolated ingredients, though.

Health food stores make me sad :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12