Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2012 7:57pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nottingham MMA

Hey, not %100 sure on if this is the correct place to post this though it seemed the most appropriate if it isn't, I apologise greatly for it.

Well here goes, today I've found out that I could have a job lined up for me, there is a %99 percent chance in it. With the increased funds from having a job, I should be able to start training again on a more regular basis than once a week. However, part of the job means working away in Nottingham a place I'm not very familiar with.

Which means finding a new gym for in the week (though I hope to continue training at fight unit on the weekends as I've so far enjoyed the stand up and my niece and I have just started Karate there) to be more specific I'm looking for an MMA gym. I'm wondering if there's anyone with experience in the area that may know a gym or two so I can weigh my options for when(or if) I do start working down there.

I did put this in google and did find some place called Bushido MMA. Though I have no idea on whether it is any good or not. At the moment it seems the best bet but if there's anyone here that has had any experience at that place and can give me some information on it or a summary I'd be most grateful, I did check the search function here to see if there was anything on it. A couple comments in the archives but mostly just mentioned in passing so there's not much to get an opinion on the place.

http://www.bushido-mma.co.uk/index.htm

Otherwise I'm open to any suggestions people can give me.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 3:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't met him personally, but Lee Livingstone (head guy at Bushido MMA) has a good rep amongst UK BJJ people as far as I've heard.

Also, he's a Jacare black belt, which is kind of a big deal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well having someone with a good BJJ game could be an advantage. Any idea about the stand up there or those who teach the stand up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 5:14am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been living in Nottingham for work for the last 15 months and training at Nottingham Pro-am for about the last 6.

http://www.nottinghamproamcentre.co.uk/

I'll get round to writing a full review soon, but in brief:

Great place to train. Two decent sized, fully matted floors. Cage, boxing ring, bags and weights on one, open matted area on the other.

Kickboxing classes run every day. MMA classes on monday and thursday nights. Sub grappling on wednesday night and saturday afternoon. Boxing on tuesday & saturday. Live rolling/sparring at the end of each class.

Striking instruction is probably the best you'll get in Nottingham - the senior instructor's a former multi-time world kickboxing champion, current national team coach and is licensed as a pro boxing trainer by the British Boxing Board of Control.

BJJ classes are taught by Victor Estima as an affiliate of Gracie Barra.

I do the grappling classes and usually an MMA or boxing class per week. There's a squad sparring session on saturday afternoon - the MMA squad's got some decent ammy fighters - at the Northants open last week all four who entered won their weight classes.

I haven't trained at Bushido, but I know one or two people who have and the level of instruction is very good. The striking/Thai instruction is by Owen Comrie who's a former British & European champion. From what I hear he's an excellent coach. Dan Hardy and Paul Daley both train under him. The only negative thing I've heard about Bushido is that class sizes can be pretty big and instructor/student ratio isn't too good -that's from a lad who trained there and left to train at Pro-am, but obviously that's hearsay.

Check both places out when you get down here - you can walk from one to the other in five minutes. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat about anything.
    Last edited by thrutch; 5/17/2012 5:43am at . Reason: spelling derp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 6:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for the answer, going to get writing up a PM shortly with a few questions and such about this gym you recommended. Thanks again.