Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/10/2012 3:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ View Post
    Considering the differences that tend to exist in judo between the way a technique is taught and the way it's done in competition, what are the modifications to be made to the "taught" uchi mata that are most useful for competition?
    Like so

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

Ken Ken

Often in a contest or randori situation we can’t replicate the technical perfectly so sometime you will need to make adjustments to complete the throw. With Uchi mata this means doing the famous ‘ken ken’ or hopping to complete the throw.

This is labelled as an O uchi – Uchi mata combo, but is essentially what you need to know for Ken Ken Uchi mata.

The key here is Yamashita’s point about ‘pulling down’ with the sleeve hand its incredibly important to ensure successfully completing a ken ken Uchi mata.

The other key element is to hop in ever decreasing circles.
    Hop in an ever tightening spiral whilst driving down with the sleeve hand and driving with the lapel hand to complete the Ken Ken Uchi mata.

With each successive hop bringing your supporting leg closer to uke’s leg remaining on the ground.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2012 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for humoring me. I completely misunderstood that post when I skimmed it at first. That makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 8/10/2012 4:24pm at .

Posted On:
    8/10/2012 10:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice write up. I think another common error is letting tori's right hand/arm straighten out as he is turning into the throw. That ends up pushing uke off tori's chest as much as the head bobble and it pretty much places tori's shoulder in an absolutely ineffective position for completing the throw. Keeping the right arm bent will also help uke from creating that space that he would use to block the throw. As always, nice post J_UK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 4:52pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    J_ UK, I' m sure you've mentioned before that it's important to keep the sweeping leg straight but on Inoue's uchimata DVD he always throws with a bent leg. Is this something he gets away with because he's Inoue or a different variation? I also notice he mainly steps to the point of the triangle whereas Adams steps off to the outside which is how I was taught it. Which is better?

Posted On:
    12/27/2012 6:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    J_ UK, I' m sure you've mentioned before that it's important to keep the sweeping leg straight but on Inoue's uchimata DVD he always throws with a bent leg. Is this something he gets away with because he's Inoue or a different variation?
    You don't always sweep with a straight leg in every instance, especially not in competition. However, I don't know if Inoue has any particular reason for sweeping with a straight leg vs non straight leg, because I've never asked him or heard him speak about it.

I also notice he mainly steps to the point of the triangle whereas Adams steps off to the outside which is how I was taught it. Which is better?
    This I do know the answer to, because I asked Neil earlier this year when I was lucky enough to attend a session on Uchi Mata he ran. The answer is that he says you should always step to the top of the triangle. I didn't ask him why he doesn't do this in videos when you watch him do Uchi mata, because, I didn't get a chance and didn't want to seem like a dick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This I do know the answer to, because I asked Neil earlier this year when I was lucky enough to attend a session on Uchi Mata he ran. The answer is that he says you should always step to the top of the triangle. I didn't ask him why he doesn't do this in videos when you watch him do Uchi mata, because, I didn't get a chance and didn't want to seem like a dick.
    Well it's not bad going having one of the guys I asked about answering. I'm making a real attempt to have an uchimata that isn't a hopping epileptic fit, would anyone recommend DVD' s or books for it? And yes, I have an instructor.

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 4:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it's not bad going having one of the guys I asked about answering. I'm making a real attempt to have an uchimata that isn't a hopping epileptic fit, would anyone recommend DVD' s or books for it? And yes, I have an instructor.
    All the good advice from books and dvds I've read/watched over the years I've condensed into the initial post.

So I couldn't recommend a single source. If I could only recommend a few points to take away they would be; the triangle, tsurikomi and chest contact.

If you can get those three the rest will fall into place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2012 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I couldn't recommend a single source. If I could only recommend a few points to take away they would be; the triangle, tsurikomi and chest contact.

If you can get those three the rest will fall into place.
    Gotcha, I'll work on those.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2013 12:20am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uchi-Mata for BJJ/MMA?

Sorry for necroing a thread and maybe you even covered this in your original post and I just didn't pick up on it.
    Uchi Mata is actually one of the first takedowns ever taught to me, but to this day I can't seem to avoid landing on top of my opponent and being rolled through so I end up on bottom. I notice that in Judo competition this seems to be completely normal but it's a non issue because the match is over at that point.
    Is there a trick to making sure you can land in a solid side control every time?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12