Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    JP Jeet June Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

May not be Mcdojo, but has Mcdojo tendancies

Ever meet a girl that is not a hoe, but has hoeish tendancies? I have a similar problem with a school I train/have trained at, and I wont say which one, or if I still train there, out of respect and loyalty for the owner. This school is not a Mcdojo in that what is being taught is still effective, true to the art, and taught with detail, but the structure of the curriculum, and practices of the school are starting to rub me the wrong way. I am not looking for advice, because Ive already decided what Im going to do, I just want to know if anyone else has trained at a school that teaches an effective martial art, but has Mcdojoish tendancies.

Examples:
    Class was cut from 3X weekly to 2X, and now we have the option of taking $100+ seminars around the time rent is due. These seminars usualy cover things like groundfighting, or clinch work, which was covered in regular classes, but now only available through the seminars. When there are not enough students to sign up for the seminars, the whole class gets shamed for not being dedicated enough.

We are regularly banned from training with anyone that has bad blood with the owner, with anyone from a different style, and at times banned from training with classmates due to poor class attendance. We are also repeatedly threatened with getting kicked out of class for violating any of these rules.

There is little to no contact, and no alive training, all sparring I have done has been outside of class.

We must maintain a, we train teh true too deadly for the skreets, attitude at all times, or be kicked out of the class.

Being invested in this school has been a little frustrating, anyone have similar experiences?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.K. so how is this NOT a McDojo???

Style
    JP Jeet June Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could say its moving in that direction, but wouldnt call it a Mcdojo yet because of the striking being taught. The striking is legit, and I have never had any issues with it, its better than what Ive been taught in kickboxing classes Ive taken, and is pretty much the only reason I stay, even thought I cant even test what I learn in class. The watering down is in the form of the pace things are taught, and teaching the stand up, without teaching the ground, but hey I guess watered down is watered down.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you arent sparring, you arent being taught good striking. period. sounds like a **** school, i suggest going elsewhere.

Style
    JP Jeet June Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you arent sparring, you arent being taught good striking. period. sounds like a **** school, i suggest going elsewhere.
    I already went somewhere else, the lack of contact was the clincher. Honestly the striking I was taught holds up well, the teacher knows what he's doing, but I dont like being needlessly spoon fed little pieces at a time, and I know enough of the art that I can take it elswhere and still work on it.

Style
    Tae Kwon Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brclry View Post
    I already went somewhere else, the lack of contact was the clincher. Honestly the striking I was taught holds up well, the teacher knows what he's doing, but I dont like being needlessly spoon fed little pieces at a time, and I know enough of the art that I can take it elswhere and still work on it.
    good to move on. makes no sence to stick around if your unhappy no matter what the reason. Guess the only thing missing would be the bi-monthly testing and 45 belts to make it to black..

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in a school like this they started out great the striking was muay thai based and is effective in fact I learned to throw one hell of a round kick there but they started getting weird, first they did away with the Arnis training we were doing because apparently you won't ever find a stick in the infamous "STREET" then after a little while it turned into nothing but a damn cardiokicking boxing class. I was just about done with it all then they decided that they were changing the style completely and were gonna go completely to Krav Maga, nothing wrong with Krav and maybe I'm being a cry-baby but I put two years into that style and now my rank was meaningless well more meaningless then before but I digress. Soon I just left and went to Shotokan and I have not looked back.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude you're fucking retarded. Your school is a Mcdojo. Try understanding the difference. A Mcdojo can legit technique. Same **** in some Krav schools.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, you do JKD and your teacher bans you from training with people from different styles?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Wait, you do JKD and your teacher bans you from training with people from different styles?
    That would be like a martial arts oxymoron, wouldn't it? No style as style, allowing no other styles.

I am asking a sincere question here, so don't flame me, but is the J.P JKD under theThe Original (or Jun Fan) JKD or the JKD Concepts school of thought?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last